Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bluey26
Feb 4, 2008
Does anyone know what the situation (i.e. political / safety) is like over in the Red Sea at the moment?

I'm one day planning to go over there for 6-12 months and hopefully work as an instructor. I got my divemaster and assistant instructor in Koh Tao (yeah I know it's not the greatest way to do so and actually be good at what you're doing), so I'm planning to do my IDC somewhere in Dahab and hang around there for a little while hopefully working.

I'm not planning to go until probably the beginning of 2014, because I still need to graduate from uni first (another 1.5 years to go). I'm asking now because I'm in the early stages of planning in terms of working out how much money I'll need to save, what equipment to start obtaining.

I had a great time on Koh Tao doing my DM and Assistant Instructor with Crystal Dive Resort so I'm hoping for a similarly awesome experience. My major question is has the political situation Egypt killed off the dive industry and tourist activity in the red sea? i.e. is it worth looking at other possible destinations such as the Caribbean (perhaps Utila) or the Mediterranean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bluey26
Feb 4, 2008

bluey26 posted:

Does anyone know what the situation (i.e. political / safety) is like over in the Red Sea at the moment?

I'm one day planning to go over there for 6-12 months and hopefully work as an instructor. I got my divemaster and assistant instructor in Koh Tao (yeah I know it's not the greatest way to do so and actually be good at what you're doing), so I'm planning to do my IDC somewhere in Dahab and hang around there for a little while hopefully working.

I'm not planning to go until probably the beginning of 2014, because I still need to graduate from uni first (another 1.5 years to go). I'm asking now because I'm in the early stages of planning in terms of working out how much money I'll need to save, what equipment to start obtaining.

I had a great time on Koh Tao doing my DM and Assistant Instructor with Crystal Dive Resort so I'm hoping for a similarly awesome experience. My major question is has the political situation Egypt killed off the dive industry and tourist activity in the red sea? i.e. is it worth looking at other possible destinations such as the Caribbean (perhaps Utila) or the Mediterranean?

Hate to bump my own post, but does anyone hear have any info on this?