Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Some newbie diving questions. I'm going down south on my honeymoon in a few months and I'm going to get my PADI open water at the Sandals resort there. Does anyone have any experience with these resort courses? Are they pretty good or kinda lovely? For the price of the resort I would hope they are good.

Also, I live on the ocean in canada so I'm hoping to get into this as a new hobby once I get back. I do a lot of snorkelling and scalloping here in about 10-15' of water. At those depths with a scuba tank would I need to decompress? If so, what is the deepest you can go without worrying about needing to decompress afterwards?

Also is solo diving really stupid or can it be safe in the right conditions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

How long does the eLearning classroom component of PADI Open Water take generally? The site says 12-15 hours but I'm hoping that is a really high estimate. I'm considering trying to cram it in this weekend before we head to the resort on monday. My worry is I don't want to waste a huge chunk of time on vacation doing classroom work. Is it possible to do the theory after you do your open water dives or does that have to come first?

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

God diving is looking like its going to be really expensive. Just finished my $450 certification and now I'm looking to get some gear so I can dive locally but woo boy it ain't cheap. Looks like about 1k for a dry suit, 200 for a cheap basic reg, 500 for a bcd and thats just scratching the surface. I can't really afford that right now and probably not even later this summer. The local dive shops rent kit for like $45 a day if you already have the suit, but that seems like it would add up quickly. After the suit what is the first piece to buy? The BCD seems smart because it is so central but its also the most expensive it seems. Also getting a wet suit would be a lot cheaper than dry but would a 7/14mm full suit be comfortable in 10C water? Not talking about multiple dives just single 20minute dives.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Crunkjuice posted:

What size dry suit do you wear?

No idea, I'm medium/tall in wetsuit sizes 6' 175lbs. I figure thats a pretty standard size for shopping used but I don't see much locally so far. Everyone I talk to says avoid the wetsuit so I think that's settled, just not sure how to afford it all. Was at the local dive shop today and even their beat up regs and bcds were very pricey. I assume the regulator is one thing you don't want to buy second hand from a shady craigslist deal?