Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nac
Jun 1, 2008
I'm planning learning to dive this winter in South-East Asia (currently living in Taiwan) and I have a few questions.

1) Online courses: Is it worth it to do the book work online while I'm in rainy Taipei and do the dives in gorgeous locations? Am I vastly depriving myself of education or money by doing this?

2) Where to go: Any recommendations for places to start diving? I've heard Koh Tao talked about in this thread; any other recommendations? I'll have 5 weeks to travel so I'll definitely go to several countries. I don't think it's prudent to plan a month-long dive trip before ever trying it but it would be nice to know the options if I fall in love with it right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nac
Jun 1, 2008

eviljelly posted:

Koh Tao is the cheapest place to get any kind of diving instruction and imo the instruction can be quite good if you avoid the huge dive shops. Try to find somewhere where you will be in groups of 4 or less. Its a tight squeeze for time to do all the requirements in 3 days. Its nearly impossible to do with 1instructor on 10 students.

imo online stuff is not worth bothering with. Just do an open water course and go from there. Im happy to recommend dive schools on koh tao if you want - did my dmt and worked a few months on that rock.

Recommendations would be fantastic. Thank you for all the information.

Trivia posted:

The answer is and always will be Palau.

In fact, I have plans to go back this March!

edit: I should add that resorts often do package deals during off-season. I got my advanced license from a resort in Cebu, Philippines. Roundtrip airfare, hotel, dinner, and dive lessons for about $600. Flights were from Japan, but still, drat good deal.

Palau looks great but the flights are expensive. Those package deals sound great! An English open water course in Taiwan would cost $500 alone. I'm guessing January/February is not the off season though. Any recommended places to look for these deals? Usually I get my flights from skyscanner and do everything individually.

nac
Jun 1, 2008
Thanks Trivia and eviljelly for the suggestions. I'll look for deals in both the Philippines and Thailand.

nac
Jun 1, 2008
Thanks for the different perspectives. Any recommendations for places/companies to go with in the Philippines? Flights there are much cheaper and I haven't explored that country much. I hate planning these things blind so any insights are appreciated.