Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

drat, never realised how many goons were into diving. Ive been diving for almost 2 years and I completely love it. Mostly Ive dived in Sydney and several times in bali. Recently I acquired an underwater camera which is not too shabby, considering it wasnt much more than $200aud. Took it out diving last week (my first night dive) and i found that the best way to get a clear shot in a low light environment is to turn the flash and get a buddy/buddies to double up the torch light - the flash illuminates too much sediment - or to turn the camera to the video mode.

We always have great luck finding cuttlefish, my favourite. If youve never had the privilege to observe one up close it can be truly mindblowing, watching them change the patterns on their skin. Theyre apparently very intelligent creatures and they watch you very carefully, unless they of course try to chase you around a bit.

Here's some footage I edited together from the night dive at Camp Cove in Sydney harbour. Sorry if it's very shaky at times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8peAUeUcK8Y

And some stills from Camp Cove:

I was particularly happy with this one. Luckily one of the other divers had a big expensive SLR rig with multiple lights and while he had it lit up i snuck in with my little camera to get a decent still. I know Lionfish can be a big invasive problem in some areas but this little guy is a zebra lionfish that actually inhabits the south coast of New South Wales

These shots are from Jervis bay on the south coast of NSW

Blue groper - the lovelorn puppies of the sea. These fuckers love to sneak up behind you when youre looking into crevasses and underhangs and scare the poo poo out of you when you turn around. Unfortunately in popular diving areas some unscrupulous people break open sea urchins to feed them so they are almost semi-domesticated.

This is a Port Jackson shark

Off for another night dive tonight, hopefully ill be able to get some more snaps of something interesting. I know there is supposed to be a number of moray eels where were heading and im hoping theyre reasonably active at night. Happy diving goons.

TANZENTURTLE fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

pupdive posted:

What got you into night diving?

The folks at the dive centre where we learned go night diving fairly regularly and insisted that some spots are far more worth diving at night than in the day. My mate and I were keen to try it because we were told that certain sea life that can be a bit hard to encounter in the day are much more nocturnally active, like octopi, cuttlefish, crabs and invertebrates, tubeworms. So that got us excited because we're quite familiar with large schools of fish of all kinds but really like to search around for the rare things.
Theres other interesting things about night diving, like it's possible to consume your air at a lesser rate making the dive time potentially longer because you move slower and in a smaller area typically and, surprisingly, it's a very tranquil experience (that is assuming you arent prone to having a claustrophobic reaction).
I found that even just watching the torchlights beam off into the darkness and scanning over the environment looked incredible cool, as did looking up at the surface of the water. Also heard that it you temporarily turn off your torchlight in a safe spot and let your eyes adjust you can see swarms of tiny phosphorescent life forms in the water that illuminate as you run your hand through them.
Obviously you can only dive at night by doing the appropriate course with an instructor, and all the safety precautions plus several others are even more paramount when your doing this kind of activity, but otherwise its an extremely pleasant, serene experience. Highly worth a try for the diver with open water qualifications whose looking for the next thing.
Also, couldnt agree with you more that it's an experience that cant be replicated any other way and is deceptively difficult to relate to someone who hasn't tried it them self.

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

I noticed a while back that some people where talking about having done diving in quarries, im guessing because they live in central US states or similar circumstances. Can anyone elaborate what diving in a good quarry site is like? Do they deliberately hatch sustainable ecosystems to make them attractions?

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

So the sunken artefacts accumulate plant growth, or decay or something? Or is it really just there to see and navigate around while you do the dive?

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

SlicerDicer posted:

I would love to check out this kinda dive site next time I am in Australia if your willing to allow me to go with you.

Sure. The more the merrier if your qualifications are valid in Oz, I guess.

That was sort of a beginners site, only about 7-10m. Well be trying out a dive site called Ship Rock soon which we've done during the before. Theres a nice long wall about 18 metres deep with easy entry and navigation. You just follow it one way then turn round come back to a marker (strobe light on a lead weight).

BTW if anyone is interested in diving Sydney and NSW sites, shore, wreck or boat, there is a very comprehensive website by a guy called Michael McFadyen whose been visiting and revisiting them for decades. Its an absolutely terrific resource for anyone thinking of visiting, or already living in Syd. Has plenty of technical info, good pics and accurate accounts of the kind of marine life one can expect to encounter, including how theyve changed and fluctuated over the years. Definitely worth a look for just about anyone with a love of the sport and a buch of time to kill, too.

http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/viewpage.php?page_id=1

Most of the best spots are in Port Hacking, including a spot called 'Barren's Hut' that he claims is Sydney's best.
http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/viewpage.php?page_id=263

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

pupdive posted:

What is this a picture of?

Not sure but id like to know, if you mean the orange thing. I asssumed it was some kind of cunjevoi-like thing with a vent opening. It was on a shallow rock wall with weeds and grasses covering it. I typically spend a decent bit looking close up at any fine plantlife when snorkelling and diving.

And if anyone dives and doesn't take a cool sneaky moment to fly over other peoples bubbles, then they have forgotten how to live

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

Heners_UK posted:

Am I the only one convinced that people will somehow see my act of shame?

Big underwater pee-man here too. I wonder if someone will see me hovering suspiciously motionless, apparently looking at nothing. Breathing steadily, perhaps even, contentedly?

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

drat. Those are really stunning. I think that wrasse is begging to become my new wallpaper

Edited some footage together from another night dive a couple days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbQerPE1gJU

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

...i'll probably want my own undergarms. Anyone have any recommendations?

I been wearing one of these and a matching pair of short pants under the the rental suits over winter in Australia and it's certainly made diving in water 15-17 celsius much more pleasant. Keeps your core basically free of contact with water, but i guess the water temps in England might necessitate a drysuit at all times of year?. Dont know if theyre sold outside AU/NZ under the name Sharkskin, but if your interested in something similar, it's its a lycra nylon blend on the outside with a waterproof layer underneath and fleece thermal layer underneath. Great to use on it's own to snorkel in chilly water too if you take it travelling to more temperate locations, and is light and folds easily. Arm mobility is great, but theyre a bitch to take off.

Interested to here what the diving in England is like, know anything about the places your likely to be going?

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

Those hammerheads move so gracefully. Definitely going to have to see them one day.
Im a big fan of the rotating 360 shots when something swims around you. No way in hell i can turn myself that quickly when im diving without a generous amount of flailing.
Good stuff

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suKuS7NYy94
Video here of last thursday's night dive at Bare Island in Sydney's La Perouse. This is the place where Tom Cruise did all kinds of nonsense in Mission Impossible 2. He drives his motorbike down the bridge to the island for like 1 minute, and it's only about 100 metres long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TANZENTURTLE
Oct 15, 2009

Pikachuuuuu

Got a vid here too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcsMPjhMSeI

If anyone can point out how to improve my dive videos i'd appreciate some advice, especially in terms of camera settings and keeping steady physically. It's on a cheap Panasonic lumix FT4 (waterproof to 12m outside of a housing) but im pretty happy with what ive been getting taking it on casual shore dives here in Sydney where there's plenty of cool places to dive without going more that 15m.
As far as the shoddy editing goes i've i should just say that i've used Final Cut a fair bit before, but since i own a PC nowadays i've just knocked these videos together quickly using windows live movie maker, and i cant be bothered ATM trying to get the best out of that program. When I get adobe premiere up and running i'll be alright as far as editing goes.

TANZENTURTLE fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 24, 2012