Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Before I read much further, what can you do in the way of snorkeling or entry-level diving in the vicinity of the outer banks and lower banks of NC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Wow, thanks for that! I'm not a diver at all presently, just a guy who swims a lot. This may be something I get into. Gonna read more here.

Quick question: is there anything in between a snorkel and a scuba tank, that gives some breathing assistance but not so heavy duty? Seems like there must be, but I can't recall ever seeing anything like that except maybe in James Bond movies or something.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Can anybody recommend me a pair of fins that are very supportive of my ankles? I have joint problems and my playing around in the water with fins has got me feeling I'm going to have ankle issues.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Trivia posted:

Have you considered changing your kick? Frog-kick is much easier on the ankles in my opinion, and causes less blisters too.

I've been trying that. Or I was before my doctor told me I can't swim last month. I now have permission to get in the water again. I was thinking frog was tougher on my ankles actually, but I could be mistaken. I guess I just need to build up strength as much as I can.

Having done a quick google, I don't see a whole lot of fins that provide ankle support, just lots of advice to practice with fins in the pool more. Which is what's going on already.

BTW, you have one of my top 5 favorite AVs in SA, because of the text at the bottom mostly. I don't actually recognize the guy in the pic.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Trivia posted:

The av is Principal Blackman from Strangers with Candy, along with one of his more memorable lines. Of the many running jokes in the series, his picture being in the background of almost every school scene is by far the best.

As for the frog kick, the general execution is where you try to touch the soles of your feet together. While there is still some ankle movement, it's not nearly as pronounced as the flutter kick.

You could also try a sort of reverse-bicycle kick. I use that one when I need a burst of speed. The general method is to pretend you're pedaling backwards, and stomp down to propel yourself forward. It's not very efficient in terms of propulsion nor air consumption, but maybe you could perfect it into something that works.

I don't know how useful the dolphin kick is to divers but that's something I'm working on probably just as a fitness activity too. That's Aquaman's stroke! Many thanks for the infos!