Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!

Salad Prong

Heading to Australia for the honeymoon and will be diving the great barrier reef. Curious if anyone has a company they'd recommend, we will be staying in port douglas. Also, I got a gopro + mask, but I was curious if there are any other accessories you veterans would suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Aquila posted:

I went to Port Douglas last year for the Eclipse and did one dive as part of a tour. My recommendation is to do a full liveaboard on the outer gbr for as long as you can afford, the short and inner stuff just isn't as good. Queensland is very strict about safety, bring a doctor's note about any medical conditions you list anywhere when signing up, just in case. It's likely your liveaboard will provider all equipment, so unless you'd prefer to (also) use your own computer you should be fine (follow the liveaboard's packing directions of course). PM me if you want some above water recommendations for PD and surrounds, the tour I was on was really good in that respect.

Sadly because we are moving around alot we only have 2 days to dive presuming a full 24 hour shoulder for airplane flights on both arrival and departure. Most of the live aboards have been 3 days minimum? iirc. We are both novice to say the least, diving has been my new wife's life long dream and we are just going through our certification now, so I'm sure it will be a thrill just to be doing it.

Do you think I need a dr note in addition to padi certification? Is a dr note from the US sufficient or should I plan to pop in somewhere in Australia?

Thank you all for the replies I really appreciate it.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Prince John posted:

Is it possible to scuba dive if you've got bad ears? I perforated both my eardrums when younger and find swimming to the bottom of a pool to be painful but I had heard that it's different with scuba diving because you don't hold your breath. Is there any truth to that or am I forever condemned to snorkelling?

I have a tricky right ear, very difficult to deal with in planes and in scuba. I end up taking a little bit longer to descend, and will pressurize the best I can before I get into the water. I am pretty much guaranteed some sort of reverse block when I finish the dive (more pressure in the ear cavity than outside pressure, feels like water in the ear) and have taken some decongestants and anti-inflammatories to help it equalize in the days after the dive. If you are feeling any discomfort you have waited too long, and need to ascend to equalize before its an issue.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Is there a general consensus of wrist watch computers vs computers that get hooked up directly to the regulator?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Bangkero posted:

I had someone on the same dive boat lose his gopro that way. He was very upset. After that incident I've always got my gopro on a lanyard, even when attached to my pole or handle bars.

I bought my wife the Octomask, built in housing. There is basically no way it can fall off. (http://www.amazon.com/Diving-Scuba-Mask-GoPro-Mount/dp/B00B57PHTQ). Drawback being you are pretty much limited to things you can get right up against and you have to make a decision about how to have it aimed. Using it to peer into cracks or smaller spaces is a lot more difficult, but it was nice that she had her hands free and didn't have to the struggle gripping a rock with one hand and trying to manipulate the camera with the other in our current\drift dives.

They do make poles and attachments that add buoyancy, so if it does fall off or something happens, it will go up, rather than down.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Anyone have a link to that site that was advertising dive watches but when you bought It, you actually got the next iteration?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Oakland Martini posted:

I'm looking for some suggestions for the Great Barrier Reef. My girlfriend has to be in Brisbane for work in early July, so we're thinking of doing some diving somewhere in Australia after that. From the very little research I've done it seems like you've got to do a live-aboard to get to the best locations in the northernmost part of the reef.

I'd be especially interested in hearing about non-liveaboard options. I'm not a huge live-aboard fan for a variety of reasons, rustic accomodation with morning and afternoon day trips is my ideal setup. Despite being pretty experienced, my girlfriend has never done anything aside from freshwater diving in Ontario, so she's probably going to have a blast wherever we end up.

I'm open to potentially anything, though. I'd love to hear from any thread participants who've had good (or bad, I guess) experiences diving in Australia the last few years.

Just came back from Port Douglas in October, which is about an hour north of cairns international airport. Not sure if you can get to the GBR from Brisbane. We dove off the Poisden and Calypso. (Me and my wife didn't have enough time to do a live aboard) Both were booked through BlueDive, which offers a personal guide on those boats, otherwise you can book straight through the boats and you will end up in a group of divers. We didn't book a private guide for our second day, and got lucky because there weren't that many divers, so the boat assigned guide was basically our own private dive guide.

These are not straight dive boats, but rather are dive\snorkeling combinations, which generally isn't that big of a deal. Both of these boats do not overbook their boat, space and exploring the water never felt congested (if you sail by the quicksilver and it's floating barge island you'll be thankful). Both of these boats had some resident expert on that could field questions about sea life, corals, things to look for, where to look for etc.

We did not see much, if any bleaching. Some of the coral had been wiped out by a previous season's storm, but I think that is to be expected to some degree. We also caught the time of year that corals were spawning which was a nice treat. Loggerhead turtles, reef sharks, giant clams were some of the sealife we saw that jumps out at me from memory, and of course more corals than I could identify and countless fish. Our experience was very positive on both of these boats.

Ed: I fully do not expect my experience would hold a torch to a proper live aboard, but for what we could squeeze into our trip, it was some good diving.

xxEightxx fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 14, 2014

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

I think I am missing something obvious here, but how can wrist worn dive computers advertise themselves as "Full Function Air/Nitrox Dive Computer" without a wireless or reg connection?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Durette posted:

They have a bluetooth sensor that screws into your octo where the dive computer/gauge would normally go.

Unless you're thinking of something else?

Specifically was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mares-Puck-Wrist-Dive-Computer/dp/B00106GVLA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389988491&sr=8-2&keywords=dive+computer+wrist

No mention of bluetooth, no mention of wireless, but advertises itself as "Full Function Air/Nitrox Dive Computer" There are a few other dive computers im looking at that have similar language. I am first time buyer, so all of this is new to me and not making sense.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah air/nitrox dive computer does not mean air integrated, just that is capable of running both air and nitrox calculations. So basically it's a dive computer with nitrox compatibility! I have one as my backup computer and it's pretty decent!

I see, so my guess is that it's probably more for no deco time.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

One last question about integrated computers, does the gas level monitoring affect anything other than the amount of gas left in your tank? If you program your computer for an air dive, and it has it's own algorithms or whatever to calculate bottom time\no deco time, does the amount of air you have\used get thrown into that equation? If the only thing I gain from having an integrated computer is gas level monitoring, I think I can skip that for now until I get more heavily invested into nitrox etc, type dives, since that info will be tracked on something attached to the reg anyways.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Any goons use the Aeris Epic dive computer? Reviews are a bit limited online, but ebay has this right now, and seems a pretty good deal for dive computer and wireless transmitter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-in-the-...=item338a044ca9)

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Trivia posted:

A lot of places I notice say that they want AOW certs, but will take OW people to deeper depths during guided dives (usually no more than 28-30m, and usually drift / reef). For dangerous dives like wrecks, they absolutely demand AOW, and may even turn you down if you don't have enough dives logged or don't show proficiency during the dive itself.

What's the big deal about the blue hole that aow would be needed? The depth? Wife and I are looking at it but were not all that stocked on getting aow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

jackyl posted:

I just did your post history in this thread, and I'm not trying to poo poo on you; I just want to put this in perspective.

You really want to go to and ascend from 135ft / 41m if airplane pressure loss causes an issue for you? Without ever having tried 2/3 of that as a part of AOW certification?

E: final point - the blue hole and its two other dives take a 2 and a half hour boat ride from Ambergris, which does have a hyperbaric chamber. There are no medical facilities reachable except there. Get DAN before you go if you don't already have it (you should) and you maybe have a chance with a helicopter, I guess.

We've already been to 100 feet with no issue, and strangely planes still give me more problems than scuba. I should have been more clear, I don't think I'm above aow or that it's superfluous; we have actually done all of the aow reading\dives that could get us certified, but since we didn't pay the fee we aren't certified. I get that we will have to bite the bullet and pony up to get our aow, we just aren't stoked on it.