Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

murt
Aug 8, 2010
Hello, Im currently in Utila doing my open water dive course. I just have 1 dive left until I get certified but im extremely nervous about taking off my mask as part of the skills. Once I get water in my mask or take it off I start trying to breathe through my nose and then I panic and hold my breath. How can I get used to only breathing through my mouth/regulator and stop panicking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murt
Aug 8, 2010
Alright cool. We don't use a pool/tub just practice in the ocean so I'll head out snorkeling right now and try that until I get over it. Thanks.

murt
Aug 8, 2010
Just got back from snorkeling, I got breathing without the mask down its just when I open my eyes I start to get a little panicky and inhale some water through my nose. It seems when I turn on my eyes I take everything in and forget/stop focusing on breathing and thats when the problems start. It takes a few moments of me choking and remembering how to breathe to calm down and then everythings fine. I can clear my mask and keep on swimming. I think I just need to keep practicing and I'll get it.