Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE
Some photos from backside of Lanai by barge harbor and Lighthouse.

Clear Water Indeed, this is my breather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

rockcity posted:

You clearly haven't looked at what underwater camera gear costs have you? Oh god, please don't look, think of the children!
(I'm a photographer too and this is going to be the death of my wallet)

Rebreather, Camera, Bailout tanks, Boosters AAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Bishop posted:

More great photos... The lighting and focus on your macro stuff is good as always. One day I'll buy/steal an underwater camera and try to take pics of stuff. Until then, I'll replicate the only photo you always post that I can, the myspace angle of me on an AP rebreather! Not underwater but I'm breathing on the loop damnit. ;)

Awesome that you are doing a breather. Just dont use splitfins you will drown! Also I am going to try to do my pictures slightly different and make them to where subjects are not centered.

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 2, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
I R Tard and broked this post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

macado posted:

So I'm scheduled for Deco Procedures/Advanced Nitrox next month.

Pretty sure I have a good hold on most equipment, I have enough regulators for multiple stages and/or deco bottles. Naturally, I'll discuss equipment with my instructor but just curios what others think?

What's the consensus on what size deco bottles to use? Does it make sense to use AL80s since I have plenty of those or should I purchase an AL40 and use it exclusively for deco?

I guess that means I'll also need to get some of my tanks O2 cleaned. I'm confident I could do that myself with simple green and Vance Harlow's book but I think i'll have someone else to do that this time around.

Have fun! Thats what I suggest!

Bishop posted:

I would absolutely buy/rent an AL40 for deco. 99% of dives I stage one 40 of 50% and if needed another of 100%. 80s are cumbersome to sling (much easier to sidemount but I doubt that's where you are going) and you aren't going to need that much deco gas for TDIs deco procedures class.

Well I like the 40's as they are minimal in the buoyancy modification. I do not have to worry about them turning positive at 500psi.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Tomberforce posted:

Watching this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWZoRaBJ-IM&feature=related

I've got a possibly silly theoretical question about water pressure in Cave Diving for you techies! It seems like it should be obvious, but I've just been wondering about it, and I'm not too sure.

Say, for example you have a sinkhole 80 metres deep. At the bottom of the sinkhole there are caves extending off horizontally. Is the water pressure exerted on the diver in these caves inclusive of the pressure depth of the sinkhole, or is it limited by the enclosed nature of the caves?

Pressure is directly related to water column on your head... Nothing more..

80 meters.. thats pretty drat deep too.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Some new pics

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
dunno crunk they shouldn't be a problem? I know quite a few who dive with contacts and they always just work fine. They say to close your eyes if your going to do mask flood/clear.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

Solid plan. I've been glasses for 11 years. Getting a week or two experience under my belt would be smart before I took a deep class down to 100 feet.

Nothing like having a ocean full of saline water!

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Azzip posted:

Also SlicerDicer great pics. Where were these taken?

Maui Hawaii, I should be taking some again at Lanai or Molokai again soon.

Das Clarity

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 9, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Gromit posted:

I've got no interest in tech diving, weird gas mixtures, insane depth, caving - any of that beyond amateur-hour scuba at less than 30 metres. But gently caress me if rebreather shots don't always look totally badass.

I am hoping to get better at taking pictures with my camera, I am learning slowly taking some 200-500 pics a dive generally. It just takes time to get usto the camera and how to set everything.

I should get better and better photos I hope, Then night diving that will be the animal that wont die!

the meat of where my pics are coming from now.

Crunkjuice posted:

Slicerdicer/Bishop/anyone who knows about rebreathers. Why do combat divers have their breathers on their chests and not their backs?

Was all about work of breathing over Backmounted counterlungs, also the movement is very unrestricted with chestmount as I have dove with a LAR V

Its lightweight, small, and work of breathing is easy... ohh and the chest was only clear spot when the back had gear etc.

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 10, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Finch! posted:

There's a growing number of recreational rebreathers out there - the Poseidon Discovery VI and Hollis Explorer spring to mind but I know there are more, and apparently they're set to be the "next big thing."

The gas is no weirder than recreational nitrox and the units aren't designed to exceed the 40-ish metre recreational limit.

except the thought of everyday people doing rebreathers is somewhat horrifying given they can be a serious box of death. They are not a joke in anyway... I dive at least once a week on my unit if not more and I know that its not a matter of if but when.. It will try to kill me.. and it will do it again...

The reality is will my training, brain, and calmness be able to get me out of the situation or will I end up a number on the rebreather death wall.. I make no mistake about how they can kill you and are devices that require utmost respect and care.. Assembly and repair...

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Finch! posted:

Most definitely. They are pretty serious pieces of gear and should be treated as such.

I'm not familiar with any kind of rebreather training (a discover rebreather course doesn't count!), though with a small amount of open circuit technical training I know what that's like and it's very, very thorough.

I imagine that recreational rebreather training cover the critical components of rebreather use and maintenance just the same as a technical rebreather course. However, since it's not designed to be used outside recreational limits it won't cover anything to do with decompression or anything involving advanced nitrox or whatever. So long as the operator is taught how to use the thing properly, it shouldn't matter that they're not qualified for deco or crazy nitrox because they won't be using it for that type of diving anyway.

Of course, then there's the whole additional prior training that a technical rebreather diver would have, and the (generally) greater competence at dealing with problems, stress management, and the different mindset that comes with tech diving. I'm not sure how much of an issue it would be for a recreational diver without those foundations to deal with catastrophes without freaking out. Depends on the diver, I guess.

Interestingly, all the recreational units I've seen or read about seem to be becoming more and more automated. Electronic, automatic, self-checking, plug-and-play sorb canisters, and a huge amount of electronics to try to ensure the operator won't kill themselves. Most of the technical rebreathers operate on the principle that the operator well trained is is capable of second guessing the electronics, and should. There's nearly always some kind of manual override, unlike the recreational systems.

Well I mean the recreational rebreather works on same concept. There is maximum degree of responsibility with rebreather. Making it idiot proof is all but impossible, for instance you can NEVER fail to close your DSV.. Recreational limits or not what happens if your at 100ft your solenoid fails your at 0.40 PPO2? Diver panics.. OMGADS!!! MY REBREATHER IS NOT WORKING!! If they panic and dart for surface... Forgetting to bail off in panic.. At 86ft they start to go hypoxic.. Just a simple example really of partial pressures. This is a severe problem with rebreathers is that they do not work the same way as open circuit that its always breathable at the surface. Hence why you can breathe yourself to death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNX6mr753w

Then you can delve into Hypercapnia..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBtdI1qF11M

What about flooded loop? Are they going to spend the time needed to verify positive and negative pressure checks? Keep eye on mushroom valves?

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/megalodon-rebreather/39039-always-check-your-mushroom-valves.html

What about the oxygen clean? How are people going to treat this and keep from having a O2 fire? Are people really going to be this careful with the gear?

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/rebreather-accidents-incidents/123-boat-burnt-down-o2-fire-caused.html

This is not kids poo poo.. This is grown up serious business, Then read through the fatality database..

I am new to rebreathers but I respect the poo poo out of them. I read what people did and why things happen I have huge amounts of literature and keep reading.

So now to the electronic world. Mine is a eCCR it fully automated in the sense it holds my PPO2 where its suposto be but if it fails I have redundant computers I also have redundant ways of adding dil and O2, I even carry excessive gas to have offboard O2 and Dil most times that also backs up as bailout and deco gas. I do not see the recreational rebreathers as being a safe thing and I hope that people do not get killed and then say that they are any more dangerous than what they are.

People dive with brains turned off on OC I see it all the time.. Scary stuff man.

I will note that this rebreather is very popular and useable I just question the thought of labeling recreational and treating it as a toy.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I was with you up to this point. No underwater breathing equipment is made up of toys, open circuit or closed circuit. Rebreathers obviously require more training and attention, but it's quite possible to kill or injure yourself with open circuit gear. Many people have.

As much as people like to break things up into "recreational" and "technical" diving, most technical divers do it for recreation. It's a hobby, even if it is a hobby where inattention or neglect can kill you (which is hardly unique to tech diving). If recreational scuba equipment falls under your definition of toys, then so do things like sport motorcycles or hang gliders, right? In that case, the rebreather is absolutely a toy.

I am saying by PADI doing the Type R Rebreathers scares me.. People will see it as a Toy.. Maybe poor choice of words but in reality what it is.. It's Life Support Equipment.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

Have you ever not really planned a dive because "oh, its only 30 feet. What could possibly go wrong?" In open circuit that probably won't kill you. That poo poo will 100% not fly with a rebreather. You can't go on autopilot, you can't just not plan a dive. You have to be constantly vigilant with that piece of equipment. If people think they are recreational, they might not be and thats where it could get dangerous.

And yes your right on target.

Well to put things into perspective.. It takes me some 2 hours of prep to put my camera, rebreather, bailout bottles, check all gear.. etc.

And you cant miss steps.. or you flood something horrible and well at least I have insurance on my gear.. but that does not help if you die right?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Kaal posted:

To get to the ocean you first must leave your parent's basement.

one does not just simply walk into ocean, one must make a giant stride off back of boat?

Beach diving sucks.

Mind = Blown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xusdWPuWAoU

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 10, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Easy SCUBA owns. As much as I post about wreck diving and my inevitable death, there's nothing more relaxing than taking my runabout out, mooring up to a reef where nobody else is, dropping down to the sand at 20-30ft and just hanging out watching the fish pass by.
It's been around for as long as I can remember. There's no respawn points in the ocean so I guess it's kind of scary for people on a website that started out as mostly gamers. :)
Go on a boat full of mostly open circuit people, and breathe on the loop for 5 minutes (like you're supposed to) pre-dive. When someone inevitably asks you what you're doing, truthfully respond that it's better to pass out on the boat than in the water and watch the look on their face.

People look at me like spaceman.. even more so when I suit up and gear up while boat is in motion splat in water before most even know we are at dive site LOL

They see me rolling around on the deck like a farm animal wrestling with my gear.

Bishop posted:

The "recreational rebreathers" are an oxymoron to me. The technology is definitely getting more reliable but regardless of any safety issues, I don't see the point. The people using them are doing dives that can be accomplished with simpler gear. It's going to be a growing market and word on the boats is that AP, Innerspace systems, and the other big boys are looking to put out their own units.
What's funny is that during its automatic pre-dive test, the Mark VI (the only recreational 'breather I know of?) does it's own positive/negative pressure test. You don't touch it or anything. Kind of freaks me out.

Yeah I dunno I do not go ultra deep but I am filming and pics so thats very viable. I cant see the rebreather for everybody though. And that Mark VI sounds creepy and also they dont want beyond 135 bar for explosive stuff.

When doing my own boosting really no need to go past 150 for O2 thats fine. But 200 bar does not bother me honestly. Slow as she goes.

Bishop posted:

Also it's getting to be summer. Anybody got trips/training planned yet? I know macado is doing deco procedures which is a good class that opens up a ton of doors. E: I'm personally doing divemaster so I can become a master of the diving and help teach people. Other than that, more of the same. There's lots of wrecks up along the eastern Florida coast that I've never dove and I've finally got a bead on some people that run private charters to them. You gotta hot drop onto a lot of them which is like my favorite thing in the world to do. It does suck if you miss the wreck though.

I am right now in process of doing IDC, after that I am going to be going to Australia maybe I will dive some 40-50m wrecks? I also want to get some good pics of the kelp beds.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Slicer, when I get around to it I'm going to throw some of your pics in the OP if that's cool with you. Also if anyone has suggestions on stuff to add or change, post 'em or PM me.

Absolutely I will be taking more consistently.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Moar Boars, Welcome to Molokini Island Hawaii

Scrawled Filefish

Whitetip Reef Shark

Cleaning Station with Cleaner Wrasse

Ornate Butterflyfish

Bubblers

Mempachi

Milletseed Butterfly Fish

Ornate Buttefly and Fisher Angelfish

Ulua [Giant Trevally]

From 115ft/35m Clarity of water is Unsurpassed

Here is the complete album for your viewing fapturbation.

http://imgur.com/a/8tNLE

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

rockcity posted:

That's probably your best set yet. I'm a sucker for nice juxtaposition between a strobed subject and a nice blue ocean background. It just makes the photos pop so much more.

Edit: Well crap, the dive coordinator for tomorrow just called and said they had to cancel the dive because the seas are expected to be 5-7 feet.

Thanks for the compliments.

Here is cropped and 2560x1600 wallpapers size images. If you like them enough you can grab them in the dropbox link without molestation.
http://imgur.com/a/f09yk

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73216722/Molokini%20Wallpapers.zip

That is lame well if they canceled here for that.. I wouldn't dive often LOL

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

In south Florida a lot of shops will cancel trips for 5-7s. The commercial boat I use in Key Largo will take its tech trips out unless the boat is in literal danger of sinking. Ok that's not quite true because you need near perfect conditions for some of the deeper wrecks. What's funny is the hardcore cave divers who get seasick because they rarely ocean dive. :3:

rockcity, Bishop's dive boat of doom goes out in anything less than a category 4 hurricane. In all honesty though I just got this boat last summer and compared to ones I've had in the past it handles rough seas like a dream (heavy, sharp bow, 27 feet), so if I cancel on you it's definitely for a good reason.

That is why jesus made lengths of rope and buckets. Tie to face of hardcore cave divers!

And yeah I mean really the problem is passenger comfort I think over safety with most dive boats.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Tuff Ghost posted:

Is this on the back side? I used to live on Maui (Kihei) but only snorkeled the crater as I didn't have my cert then.

Nope this was in the crater ranging from 120-30ft All shot over a period of about 2 hours. Ulua, few fish shot in the Reef's End side. Garden Eels, The Whitetip, Beach Bunny, Urchin and Cucumbers are in Sand Channel the rest was in spot called Aquarium. I do want to shoot different sites next time maybe go over to Enenue.

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 24, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

MA-Horus posted:

:stare:

Goddamn that place looks gorgeous.

Alot of people do not really understand the true beauty imo.. There is so much crazy life there the level is well over 9000. I have seen things at Molokini Crater I have seen nowhere else.

That being said there is reefs with more "Life" elsewhere in less accessible places due to waves/wind and not damaged by human hands. But for mellow dives as far as they go Molokini rocks.

Never discount the coast of Maui either though I have also seen very rare stuff there and its in shallow water. 30ish feet. That means some 90-120 mins on OC to explore vs some 45 mins at 80ft? This is assuming you dive a ton or are in extremely good shape.

Edit: So tomorrow is a Go for Molokini, I am going to be going again. My plan is to swim over from the Sand Channel where normal mooring happens to Enenue and photograph from there and between. I have no idea if I will make it over there and back in 2 hours? Enenui is pretty radical boulders and the lot its beautiful on a whole new level and not for beginners. The depth goes crazy deep just WHAMMO your at 140.. Also if not careful you can get sucked in current around the backwall.

So here is Enenue, Sadly I did a stupid thing and set camera to Manual Focus thus busting the first hour of my dive...

I no longer use Imgur for my images given their 4/10/12 update to Terms they can blow that clean out their rear end.

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 3, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Enjoy

There was multiple groups seen over a total of 140 min dive done at Moku Ho'oniki Rock Molokai.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Well no new pictures this week, 1) brutalizing myself by doing IDC.. Wana buy some poo poo? Here buy this BCD and while you do that why not take my peak performance buoyancy class! Standard Met! 2) My rebreather decided to have total of 3 out of 5 of my cells fail thus not enough for voting logic. I cannot dive till I get new cells or rectify what I am going to do. Its entirely possible I will not use the same cells as I do not want my rebreather to get wise ideas to kill me.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

rockcity posted:

Does anyone have any dive light recommendations? I'm going to be taking a cavern class soon and my buddy who is going to be the instructor told me I should get three lights, two smaller clip on style lights and one brighter wrist mounted one. I've only used a couple lights before, one was a pistol style light I used over a decade ago for general night dive use and the other was a small Intova that I borrowed from said instructor buddy for diving through a hole in a reef.

Heading down to Venice, FL this weekend to do a shark teeth dive, I better not get washed out by waves again. In the past month I've had two dives scrubbed because of big waves.

Could always ask Phyllis at Add Helium, they have always gone above the call of duty for me and are fantastic. Any product they have told me of that is good and works does just that.

Me personally for the diving I do? I want Keldans or Hartenburgers.

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

SlicerDicer, I think I have the same reaction to your re-breather stories as non aquatic people do to my freediving stories. :eek: :psyduck:

There is quite a bit that I do not talk about as I do not want to be flamewar on some of the things that happen... I mean slamming into the reef and breaking it (my camera lens impacted the reef) among other things then having to lash yourself down with a reef hook to do your deco stop otherwise in the time it takes to do deco stop... If you didn't in the basic current that we are in? Fly some 1200+ ft when the entire dive site is 1800ft long.. thats long ways. As you can see things would get very real, if people are truly interested in seeing footage I might consider sharing it I am not sure... I get flamed on very hard for things like that video :(

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 9, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Titanium Rebreather Case.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Tomberforce posted:

I heard from an instructor who works at a dive shop in Exmouth that the Navy might be heavily restricting access to the pier at some point in the near future, so on that basis I would go for that. I've heard it's awesome, I'm jealous, have a blast!

I had a horrible dive in the Swan river yesterday - freezing, pitch black, nearly zero vis and a strong current at 21 metres!!

It was not a horrible dive, you survived without injury :)

Thats the way I look at things anyway. It was just unpleasant and not wish to repeat. However it was a learning experience that will help you equip for future madness.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
So here is something that one of my good friends has been working on. I donated some of my time and boat to help shoot the deep shots. This is going to be one hell of a story for sure!

Black Coral

http://www.titanarts.com/black-coral/

Here is one of my most recent videos too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyqy5_ft_uA

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 17, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Well I am reading of massive helium shortages.. Can anybody confirm? I am going to make some calls tonight :(

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Well I got some UHP it was not cheap 0_o J tank was 600$ Good thing I breathe then rebreathe! At that cost.. it would not take many OC dives to hit the cost of the Rebreather.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

My thoughts on this: :negative: :negative: :negative:
Helium costs so much god drat money. I try and block it out but on deeper long open circuit dives I'm approaching $150 dollars on helium alone. A rebreather burns through less helium but still. Ban all Macy's thanksgiving day parades, all children's birthday parties, and using helium for anything else beyond scientific or diving applications.

Well just remember, I will use about 10$ in Helium per dive. That would be a deep dive too. I could quickly offset my costs of the rebreather/training in the helium costs. That single tank will get me about 60 Rebreather dives.

I am just getting started in trimix too.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Those are some really nice photos. I was wondering if you could give some basics on underwater photography? I looked at Wetpixel, but it seems like a magazine for people with some basic knowledge already and I'm kind of looking for a "Underwater Photography for Dummies" thing.

You asking me?

1) Can you set your camera to manual?
2) Can you control F-Stop underwater?
3) Set ISO to 100-250 depending what your doing. Less light set up to 400 I never need higher.
4) Set F-Stop to about 8-?? Depends what your shooting
5) Play with ISO and F-Stop numbers.
6) Get some strobes and diffuse the light even underwater.
7) Always run strobes at full power TTL is not srs bidness.
8) Most of my adjustments once I set ISO for any given area are f-stop based.

Also learning histograms helps, learning how to just dial in your camera and you will do just fine. And remember I shot over 200 photos today. About 90 were usable. Even less do I post online. I will also note that I have used a G12 underwater and thats what provided some of the shots that were great before I went to the DSLR. AF35 Strobes are decent and I shot a ton with just 1 strobe.

I will gladly give you more terrible advice for photos I half the time have no idea what I am doing. I just can seem to replicate good shots LOL.. I suppose thats what matters?

This is Me

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 27, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

This is simply fantastic. Keep shooting away. One day I'm going to stop being lazy and update the OP with you and other goons personal photography. As an aside, tell that dude that looks like he is standing on the reef to learn some buoyancy and trim control before I.... *gets dragged to wherever overhead/GUE crazies need to go*

He was standing on sand no worries. I will post a few more pics later and a video of me and him screwing around at our 75ft deco stop.

jackyl posted:

Underwater photography is hard, I believe. I do know for a fact, though, that it is even harder when you are a rank rear end amateur with 12 dives since your open water certification and you are using a point and shoot in a case. But, gently caress that, its still fun!

Sometimes you see a lobster and realize that they have redeye problems like people too, only not red.
But, photography challenges notwithstanding, diving the wall off of West Caicos has be awesome. I find it quite inspirational! And my wife's having fun diving too, so there will be at least four more chances for me to take terrible pictures. Also, we're about to go out drinking and eating jerk chicken with a live reggae band. I only have one reaction to that!

The advices, Turn off your internal flash you are getting mean backscatter ruining perfectly good images... Run camera in full manual mode if possible I am sure its possible on most. Learn how to set your aperture and iso settings. Set the ISO to as low as you can and aperture above 8 if possible to open field of view.

What camera you using and I will gladly explain how to do it. Also remember a slightly underexposed image can always be lit back up but a overexposed image explodes color and is trash. Underwater photography is a art for sure.

Some Reefs :)

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 1, 2012

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Kaal posted:

Agreed. A dive computer is nice but not necessary. Many people get really interested in the sport and buy all the gear, only to realize later that they don't really go diving very often. The basics are nice to have around because they're really just snorkeling gear.

You can rent them easy too. Just learn to use it please when renting. I cannot tell you how many people have gone into deco.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

jackyl posted:

Your pictures are awesome, thanks for the advice! I am currently using a Canon Powershot SD 1300. We bought it because it had an underwater mode, had a Canon made underwater housing and was relatively cheap, so we were okay with using it to replace our out of date point and shoot even if it didn't end up great underwater. I've been happy with it as a complete rookie, though, so I'm going to stick with it for a bit.

Your advice is great, though - I was just sticking it in underwater mode and using the diffuser on the housing. I know I can set ISO (won't lower require a steadier hand though?), but need to look into aperture. Disabling flash wasn't something I even considered as an option, seeing as how all the impressive camera setups I saw had massive strobes, etc - I take it poor flash is worse than no flash?

Yes I have huge strobes but if they are not aimed right? Backscatter is HORRIBLE... So what happens? the light is fired straight forward and the camera sees the particles in the water, those particles that are illuminated by the flash then are grabbed by the sensor. This results in images that have spots all over them. Now say I have my 16+8 inch arms attached? I can then position my strobes FAR away from the camera 2 feet on each side to be precise. This allows angling of the strobes so the light hits the particles at off angles.. then you can do this!

Original Image zero backscatter http://stealthwater.smugmug.com/Underwater/Molokini-26th-May/i-WgwR7vx/0/O/IMG5916.png

So anyway run it in manual if possible but for sure turn off flash and make sure your at 1/160 usually thats key on the capture and prevent blur underwater. Best thing play with the camera underwater and dont be afraid of messing with settings you will make great or horrible images. The ratio of horrible to great gets better :)

If you want a decent strobe that is not crazy expensive... http://www.ikelite.com/af35/autoflash.html

I used that strobe (Note was single strobe with diffuser) to take these pics. I used a canon G12 for that.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Going without a computer is not the end of the world. I used to plan multi gas decompression dives with my cellphone and a bottom timer (still do, as a backup). A bottom timer is little more than a watch and depth gauge, which leads to the problem... Its tough to find a mechanical depth gauge these days so without a computer of some sort you won't know your depth! Don't most shops rent computers these days? Go that route but try to plan and execute your dives with tables For your first 20 or so dives. This gets you into good habits like checking your depth an time frequently. It will also help you develop a "feel" for what a normal no deco time is. Then once you start using more of the computers features, it is a convenience instead of a crutch.

Once you start running multiple computers and they all agree then you know your good too! Hell even my flooded shearwater still continued to give information on quite a bit. It toasted out at the end of the dive though. Shearwater fixed it too!

Anyway yeah I run multiple computers and calculating deco is a pain but I got general ideas from my tables.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Kaal, I cant assume the water is much warmer in Guam than Hawaii? I could be wrong?

At anyrate I wear a drysuit here I get so cold so its a matter of body physiology too (other factors too like how much of a wuss you are) In that category I am way up there.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Figured I should give some Le Turtle Action

Some Coraline Growths on Mala Wharf

I went to Mala Wharf today and did some playing around. My cells in my rebreather have been playing ball too so thats a good thing I feel less like a dead man walking.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Crunk you bastard... That is totally awesome!

Getting mobbed by sea lions and seals is just epic. I would have butt smuggled out video and photos!

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bob Loblaw posted:

I wanted to ask, has anyone on here besides me gotten bent?

Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate,

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=65

No I have not gotten bent or had any symptoms of bending. I do decompression diving and extremely conservative of my ascents. I also would note I have a p-valve on my drysuit and am able to piss like a racehorse. I Pee relentlessly... Why? Cause I am drinking fluids like a bastard on surface. I am considering making a zip pouch on my wing to store a camelbak bladder in there to drink from underwater.

With nitrox you should have been inherently more safe. But look at the guy who got bent in truuk lagoon was way way conservative... He was dehydrated, very few cases do I read of that have actual data that do not involve less than optimal hydration..

Note: I drink somewhere on the order of gallon day before dives and half gallon in the morning or some lunacy. I wake up peeing at night and pee all day.

Just my personal advice from a decompression diver who has not been bent... Yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Dont worry I stayed at a holiday inn express last night, I think I should know what I am doing LOL

Le Gruntage to get out of the water for sure.

'

First real photos of myself in quite a while.. I was actually shocked to see what I looked like 0_o