Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE

macado posted:

With that being said..this may sound harsh but there is simply no excuse (barring major equipment malfunction which is rare) to run out air. Plan your dive and dive your plan while monitoring your air consumption. If you or a dive buddy make it a regular habit to run out of air then you need to find a new dive buddy or find a different sport. Nobody should be running out of gas on a dive.

If my buddies dont notify me and turn around at 1800psi I dont dive with them. Mainly as if something cool shows up I want that 300psi buffer to hang out :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

macado posted:

A lot of people even at OW/AOW/Resue level are taught to simply follow their friendly dive guide/divemaster. The often heard phrase is "return to boat with 500psi/50bar." without regard or actual understanding of what that means or how much gas is involved.

Rule here is head to boat at 800.. Be at boat with 500

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

/\ /\ heh I don't even know what I'm susposed to be offended at so I guess none taken? /\ /\

Offensive stuff? Dont get me started :P

Bishop posted:

Teaching as a DM is awesome, but I would never want to be one of the leaders on a cattle boat out of some vacation destination. Too many dumb people.

I go on cattle boat.. they let me drop off the back and go where I want by myself or with my buddies :P The other day I dropped off back with 2 cameras went and shot test shots all by myself they dont care.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Gindack posted:

This is kind of a broad question, but what does being a good buddy entail, beyond the simple stay in line of sight, help with gear, and the superficial stuff? WHen following your buddy at depth where do you guys swim in relation to them? As a new diver what can I do to make sure I don't get in my buddies way or make them think I am off trying to kill us both?

Well being a good buddy means.. 1) keep eye on own air and let me know when your air is down at increments. 2500/2000 psi or 150/100 bar.

Sorry thats main concern I dont want you to die.. by keeping eye on air you will keep near me :P Good enough for me! LOL and you wont panic or freak out as you know what your air is :P

It would really ruin my day to haul a corpse.. Just sayin.. Even more so if I had to drag you in 1000+ yards as far as I go out sometimes. Given the most common cause of death is OOA :(

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

It's also a good idea to always buddy up with a better diver than you... that way they have to deal with your gently caress ups instead of the other way around ;)
I've got a feeling that it's a good thing that you are in Hawaii because we would probably get ourselves killed if we ever dove together.

My rebreather buddies would stake me down for the sharks LOL!!!
Otherwise I am the most experienced so I have to deal with the others fuckups.

Actually Bishop if we dove together I am likely one of the safest most safety oriented divers you will ever meet dispite my stupid banter.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Yeah I'm just being sarcastic. But don't deny it, if I said that there was a 300ft reef with [insert some amazing poo poo here], you would be down for it.

I promised my husband I wont go beyond 200ft / 60m due to deco and all that stuff..

Neutral Buoyancy Turtle is displeased with my assheavyness.

BlueBayou posted:

Drift diving is annoying.

Oh look a cool turtle! aaannndddd we've been swept past it

Drift Diving is actually awesome just got to learn how to do what you want to do and reef hooks are very useful.

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 20, 2013

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Well lend me that giant camera rig you have and at least I can take video of whatever happens at this hypothetical 300ft reef ;)

I should have a zinc coin that rots to auto inflate sausage to send my camera up just incaser style.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
If you are going to get a expensive one get a Shearwater or Liquivision they will do what you need forever :)

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Trivia posted:

So boys and girls, I promised pics and by god you will get them. Sorry for the lateness, I'm extremely lazy you see.

Also, sorry for being 3 months late.

The baby white tip takes the cake :)

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Oh my god that water temp. I would die. Probably even with a drysuit on. Also without gloves I can only imagine how lovely it was to deal with boltsnaps or other clips on your rig.

2 Words...

gently caress THAT poo poo

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Gindack posted:

Yeah I don't plan on doing tech diving for quite some time, that is definitely a long term goal. Thanks for the book suggestion, any others you recommend?

IANTD Encyclopedia, NOAA diving Manual.. Those two are just AWESOME!! If you want real answers to everything they got it! :)

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Gindack posted:

Man I don't know what it is or how they do it, I went into the LDS with the intentions of returning my rental gear and maybe picking up a BCD. Walked out with a used Knighthawk w/air2 a new Mk11/C200 Regulator and a new subgear xph computer. Totally blew my budget but I have most of my gear now.

Also, how often does IANTD and NOAA update their books and would an older edition at a used bookstore be just as good?

I am unsure physics changes that much and general diving topics? I mean some newer information may be there but the core science is pretty much unchanged.. And the vast topics covered are quite impressive.

I have the Fourth Edition Noaa Manual as well as the Tao of Underwater Survival <-- IANTD.

2 of my 50+ books on diving some are extreme like bubble mechanics LOL

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Tomberforce posted:

Though if you've just finished your rec open water the IANTD/bubble mechanics (haha!) stuff may be a little overkill!

I never think the IANTD is overkill but the bubble mechanics yes :P

IANTD is great as it talks about diet, medications, breathing techniques and so forth. It also explains relationship of needing to pee when you hit water and the constriction there in and the reason behind all this stuff. Its really explaining alot about diving. Its pretty much like the sport diver manual of 1973 that I have except more modern LOL

Every diver being informed of the complications of medications and underwater I think is of utmost importance. Though I was blissfully unaware and have had incidents of complete panic caused by medication (decongestants are bad mmmkay?). Soon as I stopped never happened again?! Its not uncommon either. I will note during panic I kept my poo poo together but it was pretty drat hard.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Gindack posted:

How deep were you when this was happening?

Shallow as 60ft or deep as 130? It happened multiple times actually.. as well as really weird things other times where my face felt like it was rippling, bones wobbling it was NOT GOOD... I will say that much :(

Though Elevated Partial Pressure exposure long term multi hour.. at 1.3 ppo2 can mess ya

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Finch! posted:

Blar blah blarh

Agreed I think that the way they teach to do things is awesome! Had I started over I would have just gone to IANTD for everything from start to fail ;-)

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah absolutely - but from what I've heard from the course director at my shop who teaches both is that it's more that PADI split the tech training into too many phases and charge too much for all of them. Better off doing TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco procedures.

I'm not too sure how much the content differs, but no way I'm going PADI for my Tec training.

My rebreather course cost what my OW and AOW did :P

LOL thats why I said I would do IANTD from start to fail if I did it over.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Lets face it Macado, Lionfish there or Peacock Grouper and Blue Stripe Snapper here.. Its never going to change...

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Cru Jones posted:

My dive buddy (wife) is pregnant and out of commission.

Nobody is willing to test the effects of diving on a fetus... It always remains a unknown :)

Congratulations btw :)

Bishop, Think we can get the above experiment started with enough persuasion? Like our Helium experiments :P

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Crunkjuice posted:

This is how baby's work right?

Thats how we can solve the economy! Make babies work!

So I am going to try to do some stuff Thursday I hope :)

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Gushing Granny posted:

Signed up for a Nitrox course because the NDL without enriched air is pretty low, really. How much more bottom time can I get with using Nitrox?

I dunno? Learn to breathe good? You will always have more gas than NDL. Does that work?

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

rockcity posted:

Haha, ok, we didn't lose the boat, but we did have to come up the wrong mooring ball.

HAHAHA somebody explain this please?

This sounds like what my dive buddy and I did when we went to go up and the wrong boat was there... WTF?! same ladders and stuff.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Just so everybody knows, i am alive RL is awesome will post why later

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Figure I should post, I no longer live in Hawaii I am living in California.

I will be diving soon enough hopefully again. Currently battling some debilitating breathing issues will see how all that goes. Moved to just outside Sacramento huzzah for land locked.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

TLG James posted:

Anyone been through ed Robinsons scuba in Maui? I'll be pretty close to them this winter.

Do it, ask for Tiffany. Tell Tiffany Greg said hi

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Hows it going everybody, I am informing you I am still ALIVE.

I wonder if bishop is still around? I wanted to say hi when I was in Florida

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Crazy that they still work so well after 32 years! Super jealous.

drat, its now 42!

Time flies, also whats up divers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
So I use to post a lot, some of my photos are on the first post bishop did. Anyone seen Bishop lately?

Anyway, I'm back by the water. I just got a boat. I'm going to be going out twice a week in the Florida keys. I use to do so in Hawaii at Molokai.

Big difference this time, my wife will be doing it with me. We will both be diving rebreathers. So yeah routine rebreather is gonna make a comeback.

Hope you all like the content I produce shortly.

This was me back then, been about 9 years lol