Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Anyone dived Grand Cayman? Recommend me a dive shop and/or dive site. Just got here today and only staying a week. Probably do a normal dive and a night dive, if it's really awesome maybe even a 3rd dive. I've dived about 8 times. Got my open water and advanced (night, wreck, computer dive) with big blue on Koh Tao, Thailand and loved it. Also did a discovery dive a few years ago in Roatan, Honduras which was amazing. How will cayman compare to those? Everyone is saying it's some of the best diving in the world here- true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I didn't get certified through padi, I did SSI. They pushed it hard at big blue and said padi forced you to purchase the book and was a little more strict on how things had to be taught. Whereas SSI would let you use an old used book and the instructors had more freedom in the lesson plan and could go at any pace, as long as the skills were covered.

They basically trashed PADI and told us they were great at advertising and reaping money from book sales, and that SSI or any other certifying body were all equal to PADI and all under the same 'umbrella' so to speak.

So yeah. Fwiw I had a great instructor and am very confident in the water. Steve at Big Blue was great and taught us well, and was careful to correct any bad habits we exhibited. Was a fun dude and is actually the manager there. But anyways;

We've been talking to divers/tourists around Grand Cayman and apparently you can just rent all the gear for $150 a week and shore dive all you want ($10 per tank fill). Whereas guided diving is going to run us about $120 for 2 dives. I've never done a shore dive but I'm sure I'd be fine. And being able to get in as many dives as I want sounds amazing- even if I have to pay some dude in a dingy $20 to bring me out to a good spot. Does this sound like a terrible idea? My cousins are a little iffy about diving without a dive master, but I'm perfectly fine as long as all my equipment is in good working order. The random guy with a boat idea could be dumb/dangerous/sketchy but I'm just throwing around ideas here.

Definitely won't do a night dive without a divemaster or guide though. I'm not that crazy

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

whoa, what do you guys think of this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/minidive/minidive-the-first-mini-scuba-tank-for-everyone