Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durette
Feb 5, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

Any of you Miami-ish divers - has anyone dived the Atlantis Memorial Reef? I saw it at the National Geographic museum a few months ago, and I'll be in Miami in a few days and I'm trying to dive it - is it as cool as the Nat Geo museum made it out to be, or is it actually lame in person?

(Edit: This could also answer the guy above me's question!)

Day late and a dollar short, but anyway...

This is probably the most calm and predictable dive you can do in Miami off South Beach, so expect multiple boats to be on location at the same time.

The location is very, VERY small. You can circle the whole thing at a drift in about ten minutes. There isn't much around the memorial and calling it a "reef" is pretty generous. There isn't much on the bottom in the area, so you're not going to see the larger fish. There are usually some large schools of small fish hanging out in the center area, but everyone is trying to photograph them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durette
Feb 5, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

I ended up not being able to do any diving because the wind was too much. I guess good to know that I missed it - if I find myself in Miami again for longer, maybe I'll see if I can visit it, but it sounds like had I made it my single dive for the trip, I would have been disappointed.

Everyone should dive it once just because it's one of "those things". But if it's your only dive, it would probably disappoint. For Miami, there are a lot of small wrecks in about 45 feet that you can go to and don't need technical certification (because there is nothing there to dive into). I'd ask for that since it's one of the few places you can do a wreck without "doing a wreck".

Protip: I always use Tarpoon Dive Center because it is literally ten feet from the shop to the boat. All the other South Beach shops use the same boat, except you have to load up gear and drive to it. And you're on your own to get back. Seriously, I was on the boat with a guy and when he called his shop, they said he had to get a taxi and they would cover it. I had a car so I gave him a ride because gently caress that noise.

Durette
Feb 5, 2012

Luceo posted:

My fiance and I are looking to honeymoon in the Caribbean and are wondering where we would find the best combination of diving and amenities. We're just normal open water divers, nothing fancy, but would like to get a lot of diving in while still in a place that's also fun on land.

Depends on what you consider amenities and fun on land.

Roatan is amazing for diving, but doesn't have a big night club/girls gone wild kind of scene. But there is a lot of awesome island stuff to do like zip lines, scooter tours, hiking, etc.

Durette
Feb 5, 2012

grover posted:

What's a good decent point & shoot I can use for vacation pictures underwater? I picked a waterproof digital camera up for about $50 at wal-mart a couple years that took great underwater video and I'd still be using... if it hadn't died after about 5 minutes of use while just snorkeling. Anything like that that's more reliable? Doesn't need to go deep- since my kids are restricted in depth, I don't expect to exceed 30' or so with it. I've used disposal film cameras my last two dive trips but would much prefer a digital.

The GoPro is a great option. Poke around and you can get everything you would need (camera + waterproof housing + mounting base of your choice) for ~$200. That's a bargain compared to constantly shelling out for less durable cameras. Plus you can take video and it has all them fancy shutter options so you'll never miss a shot.

Durette
Feb 5, 2012

Bangkero posted:

re: GoPros - yes you're right, they are fantastic. I finally went GoPro last year. It was hard for me to see the screen with a mask on anyway so I figure I wouldn't miss it and there are ways to mark what you're looking at (it's also ultra wide lens). So far so good for snowboarding and free diving. Next test is scuba this Feb. The problem with the GoPro though is that the the colour tones are meh compared to the processing chips of PnS cameras - they are really meant to be post-edited in software. Since I don't have loving time to post-edit my poo poo, most of my recordings stay hidden on my computer.

I use the wrist mount for scuba and it works great. Just bring it up to eye level and fire. I also use the 30-per-second setting which makes sure I get what I'm looking at even if I'm bobbing around a little. Another option is to just let it roll in video mode and pick out single frames later.

I've found that the GoPro with a light on it works better underwater than on land thanks to the water filtering. Or at least doesn't need post-editing like you get from snow or really bright sunshine.

Durette
Feb 5, 2012

Does your computer have a compass? If not, get one. I never thought I would need one until I did a non-drift dive and my dive buddy was navigating.

(SPOILER: He didn't know how to navigate)

A good dive bag for your gear is also pretty nice. I use the standard dive shop one that folds up into a small square for travel.

Durette
Feb 5, 2012

You're welcome!

Other random crap I've accumulated over the years because I have more money than common sense:

Slap strap for your mask

A good pair of diving gloves for lake/river dives (the first time you cut your hand on a broken bottle, you will know why)

shore/"boat" fins (ie not the kind that go with boots. for snorkeling)

Small, waterproof case for $/keys/driver's licence

Waterproof dive log cover (STAMPS! GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!)

BC hanger

Second stage hanger

Custom mold mouthpiece

Underarmor running hat (dries easy, balls up small, great for the boat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durette
Feb 5, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

I think I am missing something obvious here, but how can wrist worn dive computers advertise themselves as "Full Function Air/Nitrox Dive Computer" without a wireless or reg connection?

They have a bluetooth sensor that screws into your octo where the dive computer/gauge would normally go.

Unless you're thinking of something else?