Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

let it mellow posted:

not that goon but please be more specific about Jupiter, we live there now :)

Central Fl goon here, are you planning on shore-diving or getting on a boat? There's a bunch of artificial reef spots off Jupiter, but for shore-diving you're gonna want to go down to at least Palm Beach, probably.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MrYenko posted:

Not till March, unfortunately, but I certainly will.

I've not been out with them myself, but these guys are very highly regarded by my friends who have dove with them. I really want to come up and do Blue Heron Bridge, and some of the other shallow-water dives up there as well. Most of my diving has been boat dives, which are a blast, but I really enjoy beach diving, and I need to do more of it.

Blue Heron is really nice, but it's kind of slim pickings for shore diving stuff right there in my opinion (if anybody has good shore dive spots North of Jupiter - spill lol). There's some artificial rockpiles right there at Phoenix towers, but last I was there you had to get in to the North or South and swim along the private beach area. A little further south there's the ruins of an old pier at the clocktower by Worth Ave that sometimes has some neat stuff but is sort of a little island of structure in a sea of bare sand and probably not worth a whole trip on its own:

Other than that there's some artificial reef you can reach from the beach just south of the Boynton inlet, but the natural reef doesn't really pick up (at least close to shore) until you get down to the Anglin fishing pier, where you can pretty easily swim or kayak out to at least the first two reef lines:

Of course this is just my limited experience, someone here might know the secret good spots haha. In other news, gettin' ready to make the semi-annual trip to Blue springs, which is worth a dive if you haven't before (or didn't literally get certified there).

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I have a slightly older Garmin vivoactive watch thing that I’ve had down to 80 feet and it came out fine. Mine doesn’t have a heart sensor on it but I know some do (and I think I can get a chest band that’ll do it) and despite garmin recommending it for “splashes or swimming” their 5 atm rating is pretty legit.

Although for the sake of fairness I was freediving, so I can’t really speak to how it’ll do over a longer duration.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man I put my wetsuit on at anything 72 or below. Florida has ruined me.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well after what feels like an eternity without getting in the water (save to cut some line off a prop), I'm finally getting ready to go on my annual springs freediving trip in North Florida now that I'm overweight and can't hold my breath any more. I'll try and bring everyone back some nice pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SuitcasePimp posted:

There is a small but active community with a few operations that offer courses and trips. The one I'm most familiar with is DeepSea (https://deepseabonaire.com), which seems to be good shop of very dedicated people run by this guy Carlos Coste (who is apparently a pretty hardcore freediver).

My Bonaire freedive tale: I was doing the last dive of a wreck specialty on the Hilma Hooker with a student wanting to do the penetration, which is an old hallway around 75'' deep. We're sitting there right outside one end and I'm watching them tie in the line when out pops some dude's head with a mask, snorkel, and NO loving REGULATOR. I about crapped my wetsuit, and as I'm reaching for my octo to try to save this poor guy who rejected his gear after panicking in the wreck he calmly exits and starts gracefully kicking up to the surface, followed by another freediver out of the wreck!

It turns out there was some European freediving group there to train with DeepSea and they were out on a trip to the wreck to dive and shoot some video. It was the first time I've seen really good freedivers in action and it was drat impressive, but it took my brain a few beats to realize wtf was happening.

I always feel bad about the guys who I freak out like that. We do some freediving up and down the side chutes of a local spring and more than a few times I've popped out of a hole into the main shaft at 60 feet and scared the bejeezus out of some poor guy