Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Before I moved to Ontario I did a lot of dry suit diving off the west coast. Just went diving for the first time in the tropics this last week in cozumel, roatan, and grand cayman. Very different and awesome.

Here is a video of the highlights of all my dives. http://youtu.be/YhIJbttIcqk

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I've been toying with the idea of taking a GoPro and mounting it to a Goodman handle, then tying a bolt snap to the Goodman handle. Then I can clip it off to a D-Ring when it is not in use. Not sure if it will work or not, but I had been pondering this same question, and this is what I had come up with. After a quick Google search, it appears a few someones have got this idea already: http://www.dirdirect.com/GoPro-Hero2-Video-Lighting-System.html

I use a bicycle handle bar mount. You can securely attach it to a D ring on your BCD or a zip cord/clip and when you want to use it it feels great in your hand around your finger.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Brian Fellows posted:

It was mentioned above that you can do your classroom training and pool training at home, then get your actual dive certification elsewhere.

I live in Michigan of all places so I'd need to do the open water part sometime during the summer or spring. I was kind of thinking about going somewhere in the Caribbean or South America to hang out for a week just to take time off.

Is getting your final open water certification like that recommended? If I do it like three months after my pool training will I have forgotten too much to qualify for everything? How much of my time (minimum) would it take up in days? And lastly, are there any places down south of the US border anyone can recommend as particularly sweet diving for someone going for their first dip?

I'd probably want to go for a little over a week, but if diving's going to take up three days of that no matter what I do I might reconsider, given that it'd be my first go at it.
Do your theory and pool a month before and then do your check out dives in cozumel.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

Not just that, its such a waste to go somewhere beautiful and have to focus on learning to dive instead of enjoying it.
Do 5 min of skills on the way down, another on the way up and some on the bottom, leaving 25min for fun exploration and buoyancy control. Unless you have a crappy instructor or diving in a group your check out dives should be fun. Don't waste time and money dicing in a quarry or lake. Ever.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

jackyl posted:

Going back to Turks and Caicos in a couple months, anyone have an opinion on either Flamingo or Aqua TCI?

This will be fun, I'm rescue now and my wife's AOW when we were only like 15 dives in last time we went there, but we still found it amazing then. Looking forward to this trip!

E: if I think about it I'll find my pictures from last time and compare them to this time, that'll probably be interesting.
I book my dive operators based on traveladvisor ratings and it seems to have worked well for me.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

MA-Horus posted:

Any of you guys have recommendations for live-aboards or dive resorts in the Caribbean or Central America? I'm in desperate need of a dive vacation but I'll be going solo. Quality of diving is much more important than amenities for me.
Why are you hiding out here and not asking me in the hamilton thread?

We just did a western carribean cruise and with Princess. We visited Grand Cayman, Roatan (Honduras) and Cozumel. Diving in Cozumel was the best and operator was the best (blue magic).

Anyways, cheapest is probably to do a 7 day cheapo bargain basement carnival cruise for $500 and do the shore excursions for ~$100 a day. I'm planning on going feb 2016 to eastern/southern carribean (st thomas, barbados, st lucia, st kitts, st maartan.

http://www.carnival.com/itinerary/7...16&embkCode=SJU

Alternatively you can look in to blackbeard cruises for a week-long live aboard for $1,000.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Luceo posted:

Heading to Cozumel for a last-minute sanity escape, next Saturday! Already in touch with Jeremy from Living Underwater and I hope he has availability, but if he doesn't, are there any other well-recommended shops? Any other must-see attractions?
I liked Blue Magic

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Red_Fred posted:

Just signed up to do my Advanced Open Water (yay) and I'm reading the drysuit section of the book because I'm going to do the course in one. It says not to use your BCD for buoyancy except on the surface. This seems to contradict everything I've heard about drysuit diving. What's the deal?
It simplifies things to only use one buoyancy control device and you can't not choose your dry suit because you will need to add air going down to prevent a body squeeze and let out air on the way up as a result.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Icon Of Sin posted:

How did you not die with one of them this close to you? :stare:
Animals like sea lions or reptiles like crocodiles and alligators are actually quite docile underwater.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

If anyone is interested in diving the southern/eastern carribean my wife and I will be on the feb 14-21, 2016, san juan/sea/barbados/st lucia/st kitts/st maarten/san juan carnival cruise. PM me.

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/cruise-search/?ptPort=SJU&dat=022016&

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Red_Fred posted:

How does everyone deal with logging dives? I have finished my first book. I kind of like the idea of going digital now that i have a computer but subsurface doesn't seem great as far as logging from a phone goes.
Stick with a book in a ziplock in your dive bag. Take a photo of each page if you want digital.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

We are going on a cruise to a bunch of southern caribbean islands. Which are the best for diving and which should we stick to land?

San Juan, Puerto Rico Depart 10:00 PM
Day 2 St. Thomas, USVI 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Day 3 Fun Day At Sea
Day 4 Barbados 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Day 5 St. Lucia 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Day 6 St Kitts, WI 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Day 7 St. Maarten, NA 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Day 8 San Juan, Puerto Rico

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Diving gives a lot of sedentary fat nerds heart attacks underwater.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Came back from our latest cruise. Dove Bonaire (2 shore), Curacao (2 shore), Aruba (2 boat). We also visited St Maarten for the second time. My favorite itinerary so far, nice islands full of Dutch peeps. If you go to Bonaire dive with VIP Diving, great company, great shop, dive master was great and very attentive, basically got a free tour of the island with him. Curious 2 Dive in Curacao was a pretty lovely operation. Happy Divers Aruba was a fast and efficient operation, picked us up from the port, straight to boat, did two dives and back in record time. Lots of trumpet fish and trunk fish. Saw three kinds of eels. Antilla is a nice wreck. Pedernalis had a lot of life including a pile of barracuda as well as a MASSIVE porkupine fish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoxUVura1Sk#t=1s

2016: St Lucia, St Kitts. Poorer islands, less infrastructure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfexM5OQMp0#t=1s

2015: Someone captioned this one. Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan. Not much a fan of Grand Cayman, Roatan was very poor with not little infrastructure, Cozumel was a nice dive. Saw lots of turtles and rays this trip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhIJbttIcqk#t=1s

My dive computer was working fine in 2016 but its pressure sensor was shot when I took it down for the first dive this year. -2m the whole time and it crashes and reboots wiped when I try to go in to AIR mode. Suunto Mosquito from 2005. Ordered a new Suunto Zoop on clearance.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 6, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The dive outfits aside, what did you think of the life/reef health between those three islands? I've only been to Bonaire, so I'm curious about the others.
The sites I dove in Aruba were wrecks so no reefs there. I haven't dove enough of Bonaire and Curacao to really comment on reef health as one site may not be representative. I imagine Bonaire is in better shape, they have a very good management organization and there are fewer people. Also they don't allow anchoring.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

So I moved from BC to Ontario in 2008 and haven't used my dry suit, BCD and regs since then (9 years). I just used rental stuff on vacations. I'm moving back to BC in July and will start diving again with my own gear. What do I need to do? Dry suit has seal cancer so the latex seals need replacement. I'll have to rent a tank and throw the regs and BCD in to the bath tub to check for leaks I guess. Presumably I need to have the regs serviced. Do BCDs need to be serviced?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

I'm looking for a grip + light for my Gopro. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want a double armed videography set-up, just something that I can use as a primary light + gopro mount. A guy on a recent dive had one that was basically grip-gopro-light vertically stacked.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

I have a first stage/second stage/octopus all from XS Scuba that need servicing after not being used for a couple years. They are ten years old. There is no local retailer that services on site. Should I have them sent out for servicing or just buy a new set that can actually be serviced locally?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Anyone dive with dry gloves?

I have SI - tech ring system and used to dive with a fleece liner + Marigold 9.5 gloves. Now however my hands are apparently bigger and with the liner the Marigold 10.5 gloves (2XL) are too tight in the fingers.

Is anyone familiar with a rubber glove that will work with the SI-Tech ring system and which have wider fingers?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

It costs like $30 for each digital version of a card in the app. PADI is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Arenít most scuba incidents related to out of shape fat dudes having heart attacks or whatever?