Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Just booked my flights to Samoa for holidays.. Does anyone have any dive recommendations for the region?

I'm also thinking about getting an entry level computer to track my dive times/profiles etc.. I don't dive very often, so don't want to spend a fortune. Is the suunto zoop still the go-to entry level option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Tomberforce posted:

Off on a dive trip to Nusa Lembongan in Bali tomorrow. Can't wait. Anyone dived there or elsewhere in Indonesia?

Yep, about 2 years ago. Was spectacular.. Crystal clear water, beautiful corals in perfect condition.
Can't remember the name of the dive shop I went out with but it was right near where the boat from bali landed, and the trip was only me, one other guy and the guide. Would definitely go back.

One of my mates did a liveaboard trip to komodo and said it's the best diving he's done. 5 dives / day for 4 days.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Just booked a trip to the Philippines in December - going to be diving in Coron, followed by a 4 night/5 day boat expedition through the islands to El Nido where i'll do a couple more dives.

Does anyone have any dive shop or site recommendations? I've heard the diving is incredible so I really can't wait. Unfortunately my wife doesn't dive so I'll probably only be able to squeeze in 3 days diving if I'm lucky - 2 days in Coron and 1 in El Nido. Will be doing heaps of snorkeling on the boat tour though.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Trivia posted:

Get your lovely lady into a rig and throw 'er in the ocean! She won't drown! (maybe)

Hah, she can't swim either so that doesn't really help! Even with a life jacket on, and me towing her around she's scared shitless but gets pretty excited when surrounded by fish. We actually spent a bit of money on some decent snorkeling kit for her for this trip instead of the foggy, leaky cheap k-mart crap so hopefully that will help her confidence in the water.

Bangkero posted:

Sweet, are you going with Tao Expeditions?

I made recos in a previous post for dive shops in Coron. 2 days is good to sample the diving there. One day I recommend you do Barracuda Lake, Siete Pecados, and Cathedral. The other day I recommend you do 3 wrecks. For diving in El Nido, Palawan Divers is my go too - they limit 4 per guide so no cattle boats. To be honest, the diving is nothing to write home about (you'll get the same experience as snorkelling, which is much cheaper), but what El Nido lacks in diving (compared to other Philippine locales) it makes up in everything else you look for in a tropical destination. Nothing beats the scenery and 100+ ft viz.

Yep, a friend did a tour with Tao about a month ago and had wonderful things to say about the trip - gonna be sleeping in hammocks, surrounded by palm trees and eating suckling pig and freshly caught fish :)

Thanks for the tips, will definitely check out those spots

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on the news but it's not looking good.
Haven't heard anything from Tao, but from what I've heard the comms infrastructure has been completely destroyed so any news coming out of the region is pretty slow.

We might just put in a travel insurance claim - It doesn't feel right going there immediately after a disaster of this sort of scale.. They are trying to rebuild their lives, bury loved ones, etc. all while having tourists swanning about.

Our flights to/from Philippines were via KL so we might redirect to Thailand or something instead.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Hi diver Goons! Have any of you gone to Caye Caulker, Belize and used that as a base for diving? I'm going to be there for about a week in June. I'm thinking of doing a night dive, a 2 tank trip and a 3 tank trip. I don't want to do Blue Hole this time around though (I haven't dove since last July, so I want to take it easy on this go around and make sure I'm still comfortable).

Any non-Blue Hole recommendations?

I'm in Caye Caulker right now, did the blue hole today, as well as Half Moon Caye and Long Caye.
Went with these guys: http://www.belizedivingservices.com/
Super professional, great guides and crew - if you don't do the blue hole you'll save a bunch of cash, it was expensive - $321 USD for the 3 dive day. I'd definitely do more dives with them if i could afford it, but I'm backpacking for 6 months and really need to be thrifty. I'll also be diving some cenote caverns near Tulum, Mexico in a week or so which i'm really looking forward to.

Caye Caulker itself is also a lovely island, laid back, safe, good food but it's expensive compared to other countries in the region.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
I just finished a dive tour of the cenotes/fresh water caverns in Playa del Carmen, south of Cancun. Holy poo poo, I cannot recommend this highly enough - INSANE vis of like 100+M, haloclines, full overhead caverns with beautiful stalactite/stalagmite formations, hydrogen sulfide clouds creating eerie underwater swamps. If you guys get the opportunity, get onto it!

Here's some pics (not mine, I don't have an underwater camera yet unfortunately).

The Pit

Angelita

Grand Cenote

Dreamgate

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Yeah full cave is pretty terrifying, but these caverns are a great intro - no special cert is needed, you just need a bit of experience and good buoyancy control so you don't smash into any delicate formations (I've only logged ~42 dives). You are never more than 60M from a natural light/air source in case of emergency. The guides you go with have to dive with a full cave rig so they are more than adequately kitted out to help you if you get into trouble.

The only issue I had was some equalization problems, not great when you are in an overhead so cannot just ascend a bit to sort it out.

That said, if you are full cave/deep/tech certified, or want to get certified then this is the place to be. Some of these cenotes have over 250km of interconnected cave systems.. It's pretty mind blowing.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

eviljelly posted:

A slightly cheaper option is the Suunto Zoop. I still use mine as my primary computer. It has two buttons, so it's a lot easier to navigate than with just one button. My big problem with it is that it's a bit conservative - it really sucks to go on fun dives with other DMs/instructors because we would hit the NDL far before we were running low on air, but with customers I found it was almost never a problem.

If I had my choice again, i'd go for the vyper over the zoop - it's a touch more expensive but includes the usb interface cable (~$50 on it's own) plus it has an illuminated display instead of the glow in the dark display on the zoop.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Aquila posted:

Counterpoint: I love my zoop, it's big and easy to use and just always works so easy.

The vyper is the same computer pretty much. If you are going to get the USB cable anyway then it's almost the same price.
Zoop is fine in daylight, but if you want to do night/wreck/cavern then the luminescent display is worth it.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Jealous! Make sure you do the cavern/cenote diving there.. Seriously incredible stuff.
I dived with Blue Life, super professional guys with fantastic service - highly recommended.
http://bluelife.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

GORDON posted:

IIRC, to connect the Zoop to a PC you need to buy the $50+ cable to do it. Kind of a ripoff, as those things go.

Not sure if it's still the case, but the zoop+cable was the same price as the next model up (vyper i think?) which included a cable.