Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

SlicerDicer posted:

Absolutely, Amway Diving does whatever it takes.

Clearly you have an issue with PADI and it would be useful to the thread if you would elaborate, I think. I'd like to get certified soon, and the local shop offers both PADI and NAUI. They're both the same price, so why does it matter that one is for-profit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Bishop posted:

Erwin, if your shop offers both, I would not be surprised if they teach both courses together... the standards for open water are so close that it would not be difficult at all to teach a class that covers both agencies. You might even be able to get cards from both as long as you pay for the course materials for both and take two tests. It sounds like you would be doing a more traditional class so your instruction should be good. Go with PADI, but only because they are more popular. As long as you put some effort into it, that certification will make you a safe diver within the limits set.

Yeah, the NAUI vs PADI choice looks like it's given at the certification dive part, not the classroom part. My firefighting background has made me appreciate the importance of actually learning from training instead of just passing a test, especially when it comes to breathing air that you wear on your back.