Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

ehnus posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning on going any sooner than what my surgeon has said, I just want to know if anyone else has had an appendectomy and what it was like when they resumed diving at around the time their surgeon said they could. Would you have waited longer? Did it feel alright? Did you do any core strengthening muscle workouts first?

Call the DAN number, they will talk to you even if you don't have a membership (but if your a diver you should have a DAN membership!), they will have all the stats to back things up, and you should be able to talk to a doctor who knows his stuff, but like most things it will depend on you and how well you have healed.

As much as it sucks, its better to wait a few extra weeks to be safe, than dive too early and get hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Le0 posted:

I need some advice!
<snip> Also our doctor, which is a long time family friend said I shouldn't do it because it's needlessly dangerous but I suspect that he's worried since he knows me since I was a kid :)

Oh also all newbie advice are welcome!

Any chance there is a family complication here (ie a genetic condition such as PFO, heart mumors etc) that your doctor is not telling you about. As I can't see why a normal family doctor wouldn't say "just loving do it" when asked about diving in the maldives. If you were asking about diving on the Andrea Dora then sure, but just tooling around in warm water on a tropical island. Statistically flying there will be more dangerous (unless there's something else here stacking the odds against it).

Maybe get a second opinion from a dive doctor. Just call DAN (Phone +1-919-684-2948 Mon-Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm EST. +1-800-446-2671) and they should be happy to refer you to a dive doctor even if your not a member, but if your planning on diving on holiday, for fucks sake join them before you go.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Bishop posted:

I, for one, join you in your anger. What the gently caress are they doing. Sure, nurse sharks are pretty docile but don't traumatize them by grabbing on to them. To most sharks, even the big mean ones, divers already come across as pretty scary because we carry a lot of metal and with our tank and fins we look pretty big. Those sharks probably think they are about to be killed.

If you piss them off enough, they will still turn around and bite the gently caress out of you. Trigger tends to be their tail fins, which if you are hanging on the dorsal fin you can hit with your fins. And now you just got your arm bit off. And some stupid rear end in a top hat will do this, get bit and die, and suddenly it will be the sharks fault.

Also sharks are loving amazing fish, and I feel privileged every time I am in the water with them. Though great whites tend to stay the gently caress away from divers in our waters as the migrating between feeding grounds (which is a shame, as I would like to see those stupid fuckers try to shark ride on a white pointer), closest I have got is about 30m away when I was on a pinnacle rock at 30m, and the shark was having a look at a school of fish at around 45m's at an angle.

Bull and Tiger sharks I won't go near though, those are dangerous.