Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Is it possible to scuba dive if you've got bad ears? I perforated both my eardrums when younger and find swimming to the bottom of a pool to be painful but I had heard that it's different with scuba diving because you don't hold your breath. Is there any truth to that or am I forever condemned to snorkelling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

xxEightxx posted:

I have a tricky right ear, very difficult to deal with in planes and in scuba. I end up taking a little bit longer to descend, and will pressurize the best I can before I get into the water. I am pretty much guaranteed some sort of reverse block when I finish the dive (more pressure in the ear cavity than outside pressure, feels like water in the ear) and have taken some decongestants and anti-inflammatories to help it equalize in the days after the dive. If you are feeling any discomfort you have waited too long, and need to ascend to equalize before its an issue.

Thank you both, I will take a trip to the GP in that case.