Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«263 »
mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh server rack under the stairs? Watch that Linus vid for a tutorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

ESXi runs pretty good on desktop hardware (just watch out for NIC and storage controller drivers). Quiet and power efficient.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Breaux, Breaux, you seen a defense around here anywhere!?

If you're looking to do a nested virtual lab the Supermicro Xeon D motherboard/SoC is the best bang for the buck. You can get 8, 12, or 16 core models depending on how much you want to spend, and the motherboards support dual 10Gbase-T, dual 1Gbase-T and a dedicated IPMI network management port. They'll support up to 128GB of ECC memory or 64GB of non-ECC. They're mini-ITX boards so they can fit in a mini tower case. Get the right case and they can be very quiet and they don't consume a ton of power.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you're looking to do a nested virtual lab the Supermicro Xeon D motherboard/SoC is the best bang for the buck.

I love mine and how quiet it is, but pricewise it's a much bigger hit than a Dell server off eBay.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Do Supermicro boards still have backdoors in them?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Breaux, Breaux, you seen a defense around here anywhere!?

fordan posted:

I love mine and how quiet it is, but pricewise it's a much bigger hit than a Dell server off eBay.

Sure, but itís also not a big, loud, electricity sucking head engine. Convenience ainít cheap!

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

jre posted:

Curious why you've went for a rack mount server for home lab ? What technologies are you wanting to learn ?

Well the plan is to get a rack eventually and it seemed like the best bang for the buck. Iím open to suggestions though.

As for technologies I want to learn at this point in time, just Docker and Kubernetes for starters. Want to learn more networking and server admin skills.

Thereís some apps that I wrote that are used daily and want to run them in VMs. Right now itís on one VPS. Other things I plan to run/play with: pfsense (never really did anything with firewalls or networking), Plex (media is on a NAS), guacamole, and BlueIris.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

bsaber posted:

Well the plan is to get a rack eventually and it seemed like the best bang for the buck. Iím open to suggestions though.

As for technologies I want to learn at this point in time, just Docker and Kubernetes for starters. Want to learn more networking and server admin skills.

Thereís some apps that I wrote that are used daily and want to run them in VMs. Right now itís on one VPS. Other things I plan to run/play with: pfsense (never really did anything with firewalls or networking), Plex (media is on a NAS), guacamole, and BlueIris.
You can pick this up with $80 worth of Raspberry Pis for 5% of the power consumption and 0% of the noise

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Happiness Commando posted:

The plan is a 2016 Hyper-V host with 2016 RDSH (among others) inside of it.

All the MS documentation I can find says RemoteFX only works for one concurrent login. We are going to use Gen 1 VMs because Datto backup units can't export images of gen 2 VMs.

MS indicates that gen 1 RDSH servers are unsupported.

Am I missing something here? It does look like I could use DDA to pass the whole video card to the RDSH guest, though, so that would work, I think?

(I have no hardware to test this on)
RemoteFX will work with standard terminal services and multiple concurrent user sessions, no idea what that is about. vGPU hardware acceleration is one user per guest VM. If you're doing some kind of GPU passthrough then it would be 1 GPU per user but I would not recommend that. I believe the vGPU stuff requires Gen 2 so get your backups sorted. You should be able to run the VM images off any standard SMB3 file server so backups are usually trivial in that scenario.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

RemoteFX will work with standard terminal services and multiple concurrent user sessions, no idea what that is about. vGPU hardware acceleration is one user per guest VM.

I promise I'm not trying to be dumb, but I can't make these two statements mesh. I'm seeing RemoteFX and vGPU being used interchangeably, so it reads like you're saying that RemoteFX will work for concurrent users and will only work for one user.

I know I just need to get some hardware and play with it, but I can't do that yet.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

RemoteFX is just a bolt-on feature set to RDP that enables advanced functionality like h.264 encoding, device passthrough, and some other stuff. The encoding can either be done in software on the CPU or on a dedicated GPU encoder if available.

vGPU is the virtualization of a graphics card and allocation of its resources to a guest VM. This is what gets your Direct3D support inside an RDP session. You need remoteFX to use vGPU because standard RDP video encoding cannot handle it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I really wish this stuff was documented better. So vGPU is appropriately a virtual GPU that gets passed to the guest RDSH, which then slices it up using RemoteFX so that concurrent sessions can use it?

So vGPU is implemented by adding an adapter to a VM in the HyperV console and then RemoteFX is some RDS role that gets added to the guest RDSH. Yes?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'll try to throw this in to a table to break it down:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

OK guys, I guess it's time for me to pack it up. I'm an imposter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless you, ants. Blants.

Fun Shoe

Get approval for some AWS or Azure instances with video cards and test it, you'll figure it out.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Dude, don't bother doing nvme passthrough

The esx nvme driver is great. Discover the drive from the host, put vmfs on it.

E: at the very least, do a raw storage mapping. Pcie psssthrough isn't going to save you any performance

I just figured it would "simpler" to passthrough the PCI device to the Guest VM, since I've had good luck doing it with the LSI controllers and Intel NICs. I changed passthru.map to add the VID/DID of the Samsung SSD, and change its reset type to d3d0; VM still hard-locked, unfortunately. But, I could restart the VM with no issues this time, instead of having to restart the host. So maybe now the problem is with Fedora 27, and not my VM configuration?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Happiness Commando posted:

I really wish this stuff was documented better. So vGPU is appropriately a virtual GPU that gets passed to the guest RDSH, which then slices it up using RemoteFX so that concurrent sessions can use it?

So vGPU is implemented by adding an adapter to a VM in the HyperV console and then RemoteFX is some RDS role that gets added to the guest RDSH. Yes?

Really simply, assigning a GPU enabled it. Enterprisey GPUs present SR-IOV and are able to be sliced up by presenting themselves multiple times on the PCIe bus. You'll need an enterprisey GPU to use vGPU anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I ran 4 concurrent seats with 3d CAD/Autodesk sessions with 512mb vRam each on a cheapo Firepro W4100. People overestimate what their actual 3d workload is and you can get very good density and value with a true vGPU implementation instead of these passthrough/partitioning nonsense that VMware has been pushing.

«263 »