Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«272 »
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Also, block spiceworks at your edge

Like reddit, it's blind-leading-blind malware for your brain
Put this in the OP please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

QUITE.

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Regular KVM with Virtual Machine manager also works pretty well.

Yes, this is pretty much ideal for a single node.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 10, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me

Scratchmo

I used wok/kimchi on top of my kvm for a while so I could more easily do remote work with my VMs, it's not bad for a real simple VM manger but development seems to have stalled and it's missing some features I needed. It doesn't have any support for setting CPU passthrough flags or modes so I was still using virsh edit on my machine XMLs if I needed to do things like enable nested virtualization.

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

I'm out of my head
of my heart
and my mind

evol262 posted:

I'm actually the maintainer of oVirt Node and oVirt Appliance, so I can speak to this...

ovirt-hosted-engine-setup (which actually bootstraps the self-hosted engine) doesn't support local storage, which is the real killer for single nodes. oVirt Live as a single node is what you'd want.

oVirt is predicated on the idea of being "datacenter management" for historical reasons, and almost none of our users are on single hosts (or using local storage). There was an effort to dockerize oVirt about 4 years ago, but as it turns out, no users actually wanted to do this, so we mostly stopped development. It lives on in ovirt-containers, but doesn't see much use these days.

ovirt-hosted-engine-setup relies on the same backend code as any other storage domain in oVirt, and has 2 daemons plus sanlock to arbitrate bringing the engine up or migrating it, since the engine is essentially a single point of failure (vdsm, which is the utility which handles mapping oVirt to libvirt and system configuration) maps everything to the engine API.

That said, if you want a single system and you want to skip both oVirt Live and ovirt-hosted-engine-setup (which won't work without shared storage), you can set it up yourself on local storage.

Grab the appliance (yum -y install ovirt-engine-appliance) and yank the qcow off to another location. Add a user (saslpasswd2 -a libvirt martyoof) and use this to create a VM using the qcow and a cloud-init image (vdsm enforces sasl for libvirt). Run "engine-setup" on the VM.

This won't let you scale out if you want to, but if you get to that point, you can dump the engine DB (engine-backup) and import it to a hosted engine on shared storage when you add more hosts and shared storage.

More complex than proxmox, definitely. Use oVirt Live.

This is really good insight, thanks for the information! I've been testing my hacked node setup but I'll probably blow it away and go one of your suggested routes just to see what that looks like.

Thanks everyone who's replied so far. I think in light of everything I've looked at, what I'll probably try to do instead of switching off of VMware right now is to look at ways to automate my provisioning outside of VMware's template functionality. If I can use ansible to script a deployment then it's going to probably achieve the same results, and it'll let me maintain continuity across my systems for when I decide I want to change settings around. Instead of monkeying with the template and every live VM I have I'll just push some changes and let everything reconfigure itself.

Meanwhile, while I learn that I'm still going to keep monkeying with oVirt and Proxmox because I am actually pretty interested in alternate offerings -- from a curiosity perspective.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 10, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me

Scratchmo

I'm not real familiar with VMware templates, but I do know that ansible can be finiky about deploying actual resources. I usually use ansible to configure the resource once it's deployed but use something else to provision the resource itself. It looks like terraform offers a VMware provider, if you know terraform that might be worth checking out: https://www.terraform.io/docs/provi...here/index.html

Hell, even if you don't know terraform it might be worth checking out, it's a pretty cool tool - it could be totally unsuited for what you're looking to do but if not it's quick to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

It's legitimately terrible software, but ManageIQ is maybe the best cross-platform solution for this.

Terraform is great if you're VMware/Openstack/, but ManageIQ works with basically everything.

«272 »