Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So, I'm not totally sure I'm in the right place, but hopefully if I'm not then I can be pointed to the right one.
So my workplace has a database that has been running for a long time. So long, in fact, that it was designed to work with a VT100 terminal and nothing else. (There are no plans to replace this system.) We currently use SmarTerm to run an emulated VT100 for whoever needs to work in the database. I don't have control over changing this and neither does our IT team, this was imposed on us by the other division that runs the database.
I have nerve issues in my arms and hands. I've been working on paring down as much mouse use as I can, because it aggravates wrist & palm issues for me. I've been almost completely successful... except SmarTerm (and one other in house program that I'm working on getting accessibility methods added to). SmarTerm is so kind as to allow selecting text by mouse, and by mouse only, as the only way to export from this database to plaintext use - nothing confidential, plaintext is fine. SmarTerm... doesn't support a keyboard doing this, at all, because as far as it's concerned I have a VT100's keyboard and that wasn't a thing then. Is there any convenient way I can gently caress around with this to make it work, preferably without external software? I've poked around the configs but I'm working with an emulated terminal older than I am and am pretty out of my depth here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Is it safe to assume you need strict VT100 emulation, not "close enough" VT100-ish? Also, how does SmarTerm connect to this database system? Telnet?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SamDabbers posted:

Is it safe to assume you need strict VT100 emulation, not "close enough" VT100-ish? Also, how does SmarTerm connect to this database system? Telnet?

I only have user-end access to SmarTerm, so I'm not 100% on the behind-the-scenes aspects here re: the emulation aspect; looks to be using strict emulation currently. Runs over telnet to the datacenter, though, yeah. Set up to only function from specific internal addresses through some VPN scheme (that pulls double duty for fileshare access).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

If Godzilla can do it, you know I can deliver!

Pillbug

SecureCRT maybe? Putty supports setting vt100 emulation for Telnet: term=xterm or set term=vt100

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

SecureCRT maybe? Putty supports setting vt100 emulation for Telnet: term=xterm or set term=vt100

That just sets what PuTTY reports itself as, but doesn't actually change the way it emulates a terminal. If you need strict VT100 behavior then you need software that advertises that.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is KVM VMM and Looking Glass the go-to right now for doing pass-through GPU for something like a windows VM in a Linux environment to get (near) bare metal performance? I'm switching over to Linux for my main OS, but there's still a couple of work apps that don't work (well) in Linux and the the windows experience is not super great using its virtual video card.

Looking Glass works okay, if you have a second mouse and keyboard. There are some input issues.

Remmina (RDP) works pretty well if you don't game.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately, like I mentioned, not able to make the calls on what software gets used and our IT department's whole flow for the database is built on SmarTerm use. I did reach out before leaving for the day to see if any of the guys who have been around most of that time have answers, at least.

938 pages of documentation on how the system works and it explicitly tells you anyway that all interface controls are in a separate manual.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

It does sound like you would have better chance trying to help your mouse use. Maybe through some of the alternative mouse options, or Windows Ease of Access provides the option to control mouse with keypad, but don't know if that would be precise and convenient enough. Or even eye control.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 17, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

authorized representative of tarsier-ashpool

Does anyone know if Virtualbox has an equivalent to VMware's USB "quirks" setting? I need to be able to set the equivalent of "skip-reset" for a device but there doesn't appear to be a way to do this and their support forums are just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Bad news: no useful software manuals exist at all.
Good news: partially figured it out without the manual.
Bad news: the fix without the manual requires writing visual basic that actually compiles and wow is this outside of my skill set.