Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, escalate with both VMware and NetApp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

escalate

This. Everytime I have worked with VMware's tier 1 support, it has been miserable.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Noghri_ViR posted:

So I'm basically in support hell right now. I've got VMware saying I'm having a Netapp problem and Netapp saying I have a VMWare problem. ARGH!!!!!! So what's happening is that for some reason my NSF shares seem to disappear for a bit. For example:

Is what happended last night. Now this only started happening after I upgraded to 5.0, everything was running perfectly on 4.1. VMware's first response was to webex in, take a look and immediately assign blame on Netapp and said I had to open a trouble ticket up with them. I just shrugged and did as I was told.

Netapp was much more thorough and mead me generate an autosupport and we went through the log files. We didn't find any network disconnect and nothing to indicate that the the shares were being shut down.

Next we created a new NFS share on the other interface and moved some of the more heavy I/O intensive VM's over there and surprise surprise I didn't have any lost connections with that share. After running a few other support tools I was passed back off to VMware.

Now my VMware support person is trying to blame the network despite my monitoring tools showing no downtime and the log files from our procurve showing nothing to indicate there is a problem. Has anyone had a problem like this since upgrading to 5.0? Anyone have any ideas?

Our of curiosity, have you verified you're using a consistent MTU from ESXi all the way through the network to the filers? Had a similar issue to this at a customer site that boiled down to an MTU mismatch.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

1000101 posted:

Our of curiosity, have you verified you're using a consistent MTU from ESXi all the way through the network to the filers? Had a similar issue to this at a customer site that boiled down to an MTU mismatch.

this, if you are using jumbo frames to do you network and you upgrade I have seen those settings drop. Even though the MTU is way off you'll get some connectivity but get frequent drops in service

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm having a terrible loving brain fart. If I right click on VMware Tools running on a Win7 guest, should I not have the option to bring up some sort of menu of options? The only things I see are "About VMware Tools", "Disable Icon", and "Exit".

This particular VM is running on Fusion.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

I'm having a terrible loving brain fart. If I right click on VMware Tools running on a Win7 guest, should I not have the option to bring up some sort of menu of options? The only things I see are "About VMware Tools", "Disable Icon", and "Exit".

This particular VM is running on Fusion.

That's really all you are going to see, VMware tools is basically a driver set, unless you want to dig down to the inf files or whatever they are via device manager. You don't need to configure anything just update them from time to time when fusion updates come out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was hoping to shrink the VMDK associated with this VM along with a few others, since I'm in a disk space crunch on my Mac at the moment. For some reason I thought that was a thing I did through the Tools icon :(

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I was hoping to shrink the VMDK associated with this particular VM. For some reason I thought that was a thing I did through the Tools icon :(

There's a menu and settings (including shrink) available through the icon for VMware Tools on vSphere/ESXi VMs. Maybe you're remembering that? (I didn't know Fusion didn't have those options).

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

I was hoping to shrink the VMDK associated with this particular VM. For some reason I thought that was a thing I did through the Tools icon :(

Like compacting? I know in workstation that is done from the management interface not within the VM.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1001934

Should help you out on compacting it

E: ah okay I guess there is a plugin for that good to know, but it is started via CMD

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe that's the case. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

edit: Oh okay it IS in that General section. I obviously haven't shrunk anything in Fusion before, thanks :3:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
We're finally setting up our new vSphere 5 servers, and one server is up and ready to go. It's running about a dozen VMs and all is great. Our intent when building the new setup was to have one big datastore that both vSphere hosts could see. That way we could easily boot a particular VM on either of the two hosts without having to run a migration or copy the datastore files between datastores.

Our outsourced guy that's actually configuring the new SAN and blades, and doing the vSphere host install, just finished setting up the 2nd server. He tells me that he's concerned that the new server doesn't have any of the VMs in inventory, even though it can see the datastore just fine, and when he browses it all the files are there. He's suddenly concerned about some kind of corruption by having both vSphere servers pointing to the same datastore, and that there's potential for one server writing to the disk is going to corrupt the other server. And he wants to split the datastore so the servers are no longer sharing it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of this whole setup was that you CAN'T have all your VMs in inventory on every server, and that only one host could have a VM registered to it at any given time. Which is why the VMs from our first server don't show as inventory on the second server. In order for one to show up in inventory, we'd have to shut it down, remove it from inventory, add it to the inventory on the other server, and then boot it up on the new server.

Is there supposed to be a way to have all the VMs in inventory? He made it sound like if a VM is running on a different host, it would just be grayed out on the current host, but from everything I've read on VMWare's site that's wrong. (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006160)

What's the best course of action here? Am I right in how I'm understanding things?

Loredous
Oct 26, 2004

It's like two doritos on a stick or something...

Frozen-Solid posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of this whole setup was that you CAN'T have all your VMs in inventory on every server, and that only one host could have a VM registered to it at any given time. Which is why the VMs from our first server don't show as inventory on the second server. In order for one to show up in inventory, we'd have to shut it down, remove it from inventory, add it to the inventory on the other server, and then boot it up on the new server.

Is there supposed to be a way to have all the VMs in inventory? He made it sound like if a VM is running on a different host, it would just be grayed out on the current host, but from everything I've read on VMWare's site that's wrong. (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006160)

What's the best course of action here? Am I right in how I'm understanding things?

This is exactly right. Unless you are managing the hosts with a central VCenter server, you can only have the VMs in inventory on a single host. If you try to add it to inventory in the 2nd host without powering off and removing from inventory on the first, you'll run into issues with locked files when you try to power the VM on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't have a SAN set up yet in my toy ESXi environment, but I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm entirely sure the outsourced guy is wrong about the datastores, because having the same store accessible to multiple hosts is a big part of how VMotion works to my knowledge. VMFS is specifically designed to allow multiple machines to access one filesystem.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 27, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

wolrah posted:

I don't have a SAN set up yet in my toy ESXi environment, but I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm entirely sure he's wrong about the datastores, because having the same store accessible to multiple hosts is a big part of how VMotion works to my knowledge. VMFS is specifically designed to allow multiple machines to access one filesystem.

We run (what I think) is the same setup as Frozen-Solid, with two indepedent hosts pointed at the same Datastore, and it works just fine. If you want to do it "right" get a vCenter server and then you can manage the inventory from that.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

What's the best course of action here?
Fire the guy to start with. Everything he said is wrong, and if he misrepresented himself as having VMware knowledge, you should not pay him.

What you said is right, multiple hosts can (and are supposed to) access one data store, and the VM is only registered on the host on which it is running. vCenter just takes care of de-registering/registering automatically during migrations.

You keep using the term vSphere, but it sounds like you don't have vSphere licensing, just ESXi hosts (not your fault, their naming conventions are confusing). You really should splurge for vSphere licensing though, you'll be very happy. Sell your body if you have to.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Erwin posted:

You keep using the term vSphere, but it sounds like you don't have vSphere licensing, just ESXi hosts (not your fault, their naming conventions are confusing). You really should splurge for vSphere licensing though, you'll be very happy. Sell your body if you have to.

Our license is for vSphere 5 Standard, I believe.

Product Features:
Up to 8-way virtual SMP
vCenter agent for VMware host
vStorage APIs
VMsafe
vSphere HA
vSphere Data Recovery
vMotion
Shared Smart Card Reader

We just don't have an actual vCenter server, because we only have 2 hosts. This is also our first time being on vSphere, because before we were just using ESX 3.5.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Frozen-Solid posted:

Our license is for vSphere 5 Standard, I believe.

Product Features:
Up to 8-way virtual SMP
vCenter agent for VMware host
vStorage APIs
VMsafe
vSphere HA
vSphere Data Recovery
vMotion
Shared Smart Card Reader

We just don't have an actual vCenter server, because we only have 2 hosts. This is also our first time being on vSphere, because before we were just using ESX 3.5.

uhh, not tying to be a dick, you know you can't use really any of those features until you have a vcenter server right? HA might work but I doubt it highly if it never contacted a vcenter server for the configs

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
I don't really get that. Why would you pay for vSphere Standard but not buy vCenter?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

We just don't have an actual vCenter server, because we only have 2 hosts.

You've confused everyone :) Why does only 2 hosts mean you can't have a vCenter server? You know it can be a VM, right?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bitch Stewie posted:

I don't really get that. Why would you pay for vSphere Standard but not buy vCenter?

Vcenter is included in everything you just have to license it properly
http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/buy/editions_comparison.html

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm not even sure how you get a Standard license without a vCenter server license.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm more confused about why you wouldn't have just bought Essentials Plus in the first place and saved yourself thousands of dollars and gotten actual features. Who sold you this poo poo?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

It is sold separately (you don't want a vCenter license every time you buy new host licenses). The real question is, what kind of reseller allows someone to buy vSphere licensing without a vCenter server? A bad one, that's what kind.

Also, yeah, Essentials Plus. Again, bad reseller.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I have no idea. All this licensing was done long before I ever started here, and I know nothing about the licensing and contracts beyond what the key told me after I pasted it into the server. I wasn't even the network admin until a few months ago. I'm just doing my best to make poo poo work and learning as I go :(

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Frozen-Solid posted:

I have no idea. All this licensing was done long before I ever started here, and I know nothing about the licensing and contracts beyond what the key told me after I pasted it into the server. I wasn't even the network admin until a few months ago. I'm just doing my best to make poo poo work and learning as I go :(
Get in touch with your sales rep and get this whole situation straightened out. This isn't over with; you're overpaying on your maintenance and support subscription every year and taking advantage of none of vSphere's licensed features until you get this resolved.

Going by standard pricing, you're probably paying more per year in maintenance for these two hosts than a new Essentials Plus bundle would cost you.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah seriously you are getting ripped, I am surprised that you guys haven't had major outages and questioned it sooner

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And another reason to fire you're consultant (off the roof). If he hasn't pointed this out to you, he has no idea what he's doing.

Is he in any way related to the reseller that sold you the licenses?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I'm probably going to try and talk my boss into getting vCenter once we're up and running, especially if it makes updating easier. Right now our main concern is migrating all of our servers off our old and no longer supported SAN onto our new SAN. It's possible our licensing is weird because we had VMWare 3.5 originally and licensing has changed a lot since then, but I really don't know. All of that was done under a different manager and purchased through different people than we're working with now.

I'm pretty sure our current consultant hasn't looked into our licensing. I'm the one who setup the keys and did the actual server configuration. All he's doing is setting up all the hardware to talk to each other, and installed the raw OS.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
Whatever you do, be sure to check your current licenses to confirm you don't have vCenter licenses.

Essentials is a fantastic value bundle but you don't get vMotion.

Essentials Plus does come with vMotion but it's probably more expensive than adding vCenter Foundation to what you already have.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Just talked to my boss. He's going to talk to his licensing guy, since our subscription renewal should be coming up soon anyways. He says we're not paying much per year for what we have, so he didn't sound too worried even if we've got more features than we can use. I guess we'll see.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl

1000101 posted:

Yep, my Netapp made me verify this first. I do have to say that their support has been a poo poo ton better then VMware's

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

VMware Essentials Plus is the bees knees. It seems expensive up front if you're a typical "lol our desktops are P3's running Win XP and WE LIKE IT" small business, but you are really getting a lot for your money especially compared to the pricing for Standard or Enterprise once you go beyond 3 hosts. For ~$5k you are getting some pretty amazing features like vMotion, High Availability, vCenter (and Update Manager!) and decent backup software in Disaster Recovery. Enjoy never having to do maintenance at 3AM again because you can just vMotion poo poo to another host while you apply security updates or do hardware upgrades or whatever.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Frozen-Solid posted:

Just talked to my boss. He's going to talk to his licensing guy, since our subscription renewal should be coming up soon anyways. He says we're not paying much per year for what we have, so he didn't sound too worried even if we've got more features than we can use. I guess we'll see.
If you're not running vCenter you're literally paying for features that come in free ESXi

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I've been attempting to sell myself on XenServer the last few weeks in an effort to not have to migrate a bunch of inherited Xenservers to Vsphere, and I can't explain how frustrated I've become with this product. I decided to spend a few months with it because I thought, hey, it's 2012, it can't be that much different than Vsphere nowadays.

Between kernel bugs that knock out all guest networking (talk about an oh-poo poo moment) to just being generally terrible to deploy (ISO libraries require THIS much effort?) documentation for recent versions (6) being difficult to track down-- can anyone convince me to not hate this product?

vty fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 27, 2012

Loredous
Oct 26, 2004

It's like two doritos on a stick or something...

Noghri_ViR posted:

Yep, my Netapp made me verify this first. I do have to say that their support has been a poo poo ton better then VMware's

Like IE said above, escalate on both ends. I would do this and ask for a time where both sides can get on a conference call. Things get fixed pretty quick at that point.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I think the previous thread had a few people building lab boxes, but I don't see anyone doing it here. Am thinking about just building a new PC to host VMs on, since I've been doing it on my desktop for as long as I can remember and it can get a bit resource intensive if I want to do any gaming or encoding. Am thinking about just picking up a Gigabyte motherboard, i5 or i7 CPU, and 32GB of memory - is there any reason that's an awful idea?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think the previous thread had a few people building lab boxes, but I don't see anyone doing it here. Am thinking about just building a new PC to host VMs on, since I've been doing it on my desktop for as long as I can remember and it can get a bit resource intensive if I want to do any gaming or encoding. Am thinking about just picking up a Gigabyte motherboard, i5 or i7 CPU, and 32GB of memory - is there any reason that's an awful idea?

Check op I have my specs and host a poo poo ton of VM's didn't cost me too much either

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I was wondering why this thread exploded in posts. I'm finally getting actual licenses for our one-off servers out in the world. No more directly connecting to them and more having them all in our vCenter Server or whatever the gently caress its called. The ROBO license is a pretty awesome deal.

edit: we also got some some r620s in and theyre pretty slick except for having to take the entire riser card out to remove/add an expansion card not on that riser. Also the plastic screws...

doomisland fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 28, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Corvettefisher posted:

Check op I have my specs and host a poo poo ton of VM's didn't cost me too much either
Q: is the ~550 you quoted in the OP just a ballpark from memory, maybe a bit low? Because I keep ending up in the $900 range - admittedly I need a case and PSU so that adds marginally to the cost, but I'm not getting to $600 pretty much no matter what I do.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Q: is the ~550 you quoted in the OP just a ballpark from memory, maybe a bit low? Because I keep ending up in the $900 range - admittedly I need a case and PSU so that adds marginally to the cost, but I'm not getting to $600 pretty much no matter what I do.

Okay well I wen't back over my newegg stuff and I guess I got the ram, mobo, and SSD on shell shockers which drove the cost down alot, as they are higher now, odd.

http://www.savemyserver.com/servlet/the-*Dell-%26-HP-Servers--pls-/Categories
might find some good deals here for whitebox builds