Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

stubblyhead posted:

It's been a few years since I screwed around with it, but I think snapshots are the thing you're most likely to miss on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure it can clone, and your definitely can create VMs. Setting up different virtual networks is trickier, but it can be done. I think the utility for changing those settings isn't included with Player, but it can be pulled out of a Workstation install.

Yeah, I don't use snapshot that much so I forgot about them being missing from Player. You can also use VMs created from Fusion in Player. I think the problem is that the price of WS is $200 where you can get Fusion for $40. It would be nice if WS was split into a lower end and Pro like Fusion maybe. Maybe $200 isn't too much of a barrier for people that can get their company to buy it for them, but it kinda sucks for home use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I found a place that has Lenovo Thinkstation S30s for decent prices. I'll probably get one for yet another virtualization box. The question is about RAM. The S30 can take 10600E, 10600R or 12800R. I understand there's a bit of a hit by going with registered memory, but is that hit insignificant enough that it would be worth it to spring for 12800R RAM versus saving a smidge of money with 10600E?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What do you intend to run, just a derp-about-at-home box? I'd press for any savings I could get. Memory frequency boosts have relatively small performance gains, even in intense i/o things like computational physics or vidiya games.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The price difference isn't that much, I'm just wondering about the performance difference. It's for a "messing around" VM box.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

With just about any application, it's doubtful you'd even notice.

Your biggest bottleneck in a messing-around hypervisor is likely going to be storage.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

I new a few people here have been using the VNC Fling that I worked on. We have a new version:
https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vnc-server-and-vnc-client

Mostly performance work to use less resources when it is idle. We also made it so a Windows host resolution change gets pushed though to the client.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Martytoof posted:

With just about any application, it's doubtful you'd even notice.

Your biggest bottleneck in a messing-around hypervisor is likely going to be storage.

But if all else was equal, I'd be better off going with the faster registered memory?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HPL posted:

But if all else was equal, I'd be better off going with the faster registered memory?

It's hard to say. I mean in a perfect world you're going to want the fastest everything. Anecdotally speaking I don't really see a huge performance boost between my Dell 1950-IIIs with ECC-DDR2-whatever and my new R620 with ECC-DDR3-whatever, at least in the applications I run on my homelab, so I'm sort of going with the whole "throw your money at other parts of the system" viewpoint. I think the highest memory-intensive application I run is Splunk, then Hercules. If either has been impacted by faster memory then I doubt I'd notice.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Martytoof posted:

It's hard to say. I mean in a perfect world you're going to want the fastest everything. Anecdotally speaking I don't really see a huge performance boost between my Dell 1950-IIIs with ECC-DDR2-whatever and my new R620 with ECC-DDR3-whatever, at least in the applications I run on my homelab, so I'm sort of going with the whole "throw your money at other parts of the system" viewpoint. I think the highest memory-intensive application I run is Splunk, then Hercules. If either has been impacted by faster memory then I doubt I'd notice.

Yeah, memory could be a few percent and is really not that noticeable. Making the choice between SSDs or spinning rust however..........

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Yeah, memory could be a few percent and is really not that noticeable. Making the choice between SSDs or spinning rust however..........

Yeah and also consider 'more vs faster' RAM.

You're gonna want more of it. Actually you're gonna want ALL of it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah and also consider 'more vs faster' RAM.

You're gonna want more of it. Actually you're gonna want ALL of it.

I'm getting annoyingly close to my 128GB. I mean I'm not in any way actually close to maxing it out but in the back of my head I'm starting to say "maybe I should get some more in there before too long".

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Why the gently caress does it take so long to export system logs from vcenter with a 9-host cluster? :argh:

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Why the gently caress does it take so long to export system logs from vcenter with a 9-host cluster? :argh:

Because a ton of modules spew a ton of unnecessary poo poo into the logs, making them huge.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I made a perfect storm of changes in my homelab today. Messed up my LDAP server's DNS and then rebooted VCSA because it was giving me weird errors that a reboot usually solves.

So apparently don't reboot your VCSA if a linked directory isn't available. That's ... unpleasant. To be fair maybe it was a self-correcting situation but an hour into waiting for the webui to come up I dug into VCSA logs and fixed the LDAP DNS and force booted the box. Wonder how this would play out if I tried to boot VCSA without my DNS server being up.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I am looking for recommendations for a home server that will mostly be used for VMware esxi and Cisco cucm and unity labbing. EBay finds are ok and the cheaper the better. I don't know much about servers so I don't know where to begin.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

I am looking for recommendations for a home server that will mostly be used for VMware esxi and Cisco cucm and unity labbing. EBay finds are ok and the cheaper the better. I don't know much about servers so I don't know where to begin.

I would check with the Home Lab thread, they're probably going to be able to better suggest budget hardware that will suit your needs:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561669

I know a popular box is the Intel NUC so that's probably something you can look into. You can get cheap server grade equipment off-lease on ebay but you have to be prepared for the noise and form factor -- not everyone has a place to put a big flat box, and it'll likely be louder than you're expecting unless you buy new-ish gen equipment. But check with the homelab thread, that'll be a good place to get resources.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

You can also check http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/ He works at VMware, so he can usually work though any issues he finds with his setups.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've got a weird issue with vCenter not properly handling AD accounts.

My vCenter server connected to AD with integrated windows authentication and my domain account is set to be a vcenter administrator. It works great I can log in and do whatever but after restarting vCenter I lose this capability and am told my account does not have permission to log in as well as all other AD accounts.

That's weird, I logged in with the vsphere.local\administrator account and check that everything is still correctly set and it is. If I give it a nudge and remove and re-add a specific domain account as being permitted to log into vCenter all domain accounts regain their permissions.

What is going on?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations on resources to beef up my AWS chops a little? I've got a little experience with ec2 instances, and I've hosed around with s3 a little (i.e. created a bucket and moved some files in and out), but I haven't touched any of the other offerings at all.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'd look at off-lease computers before buying a NUC. There are a lot of older 1st or 2nd generation i5 computers coming on to the used market now as companies are phasing them out. They're the same or cheaper than a NUC but more useful.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

stubblyhead posted:

Any recommendations on resources to beef up my AWS chops a little? I've got a little experience with ec2 instances, and I've hosed around with s3 a little (i.e. created a bucket and moved some files in and out), but I haven't touched any of the other offerings at all.

Have you build the stacks with cloud formation ? That's a super useful thing to learn when it comes to automation / provisioning

Building web stacks which use autoscaling is also something you are likely to need if you use it in anger

I find the most useful learning is when I have a specific thing to achieve, so try to build a wordpress setup, now scale out the front end, now make the whole setup ha. now use s3 for static content

Try it first then look at the white paper https://d0.awsstatic.com/whitepapers/wordpress-best-practices-on-aws.pdf

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

People like the NUCs for home labs because they are quiet with a low power draw. You can fit a three node NUC lab in a shoebox and it will be virtually silent and won't put much of a dent in your power bills.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Nope, haven't done that at all, and it does sound useful. I've basically just created instances, twiddled security groups as needed, and done a little bit of post-provisioning config, but at that point it's no different than any other box. The only sort of advanced thing I've done is played around with the CLI.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

NippleFloss posted:

People like the NUCs for home labs because they are quiet with a low power draw. You can fit a three node NUC lab in a shoebox and it will be virtually silent and won't put much of a dent in your power bills.
The N3700 ones have a 6W TDP. I have a big cluster of them on my desk. They're completely silent and put out less heat than a lightbulb

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've spun up a bunch of semi-permanent VMs for our testing environment and our company/environments have gotten to the point where people are having trouble keeping track of what VMs correspond with what environment(s), their IP, domain name, if it's currently pinging/responding, and last time it was updated.

I'm looking for some kind of app or internally deployable web service that will let me register ips and get the info above. We're on ESXi 5.5 if that makes a difference, but being able to ping stuff that also lives in AWS, GCE etc (via VPN) would be super helpful too. And while I'm wishing, an expandable notes field? That way when users (developers) login to the server while wandering in looking for system status they get an idea of what's going on.

Right now this stuff lives offline in an unscripted google sheets doc, and at my last (much larger) company this was all maintained via an excel spreadsheet which eventually got migrated to a static spreadsheet on SharePoint :smithicide:

How do you guys handle this?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't run into that problem personally but I think people use PowerCLI to update the Notes field of the VM.

https://www.vmware.com/support/developer/PowerCLI/PowerCLI51/html/Set-VM.html
http://thatcouldbeaproblem.com/?p=742

Should be able to hopefully pull (or export from) wherever that information lives today, then import it into vCenter?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Definitely can do that with PowerCLI pretty easily. If you can pull from the source with Powershell pretty easily then script that poo poo.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I unironically use manageiq to keep track of VMs across RHEV, vSphere, openstack, and aws.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

evol262 posted:

I unironically use manageiq to keep track of VMs across RHEV, vSphere, openstack, and aws.

Heathen! Heretic! My god why would you do that to yourself.... the horror, oh loving horror!

I did a week of training on cloudforms and do not have many nice things to say, other than it can do a whole bunch of stuff in a very complicated way!

parid
Mar 18, 2004

Methanar posted:

I've got a weird issue with vCenter not properly handling AD accounts.

My vCenter server connected to AD with integrated windows authentication and my domain account is set to be a vcenter administrator. It works great I can log in and do whatever but after restarting vCenter I lose this capability and am told my account does not have permission to log in as well as all other AD accounts.

That's weird, I logged in with the vsphere.local\administrator account and check that everything is still correctly set and it is. If I give it a nudge and remove and re-add a specific domain account as being permitted to log into vCenter all domain accounts regain their permissions.

What is going on?

I had a very similar problem in my old job. We're you having permissions errors powering on VMs? Inventory view in the webclient without any VMs listed?

Our issue seemed to start after our vcenter 6 upgrade. Case is still open with vmware. They don't have the best people on it and it's moving very very slowly. The best clue last time I checked in, is that it had something to do with the inventory service. I'd encourage you to open a case. Maybe if more of us report it, they might devote the support/engineering resources to figure if out.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

parid posted:

I had a very similar problem in my old job. We're you having permissions errors powering on VMs? Inventory view in the webclient without any VMs listed?

Our issue seemed to start after our vcenter 6 upgrade. Case is still open with vmware. They don't have the best people on it and it's moving very very slowly. The best clue last time I checked in, is that it had something to do with the inventory service. I'd encourage you to open a case. Maybe if more of us report it, they might devote the support/engineering resources to figure if out.

If I try to log in through the fat client I'm told I do not have permission.

The web client actually lets me log in but, like you, the inventory will be empty.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Methanar posted:

If I try to log in through the fat client I'm told I do not have permission.

The web client actually lets me log in but, like you, the inventory will be empty.

Show me your sso config.

Also, stop using domain admin to do your day job. Create an ad group, drop admin users in it, then assign it rights via SSO.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

1000101 posted:

Show me your sso config.

Also, stop using domain admin to do your day job. Create an ad group, drop admin users in it, then assign it rights via SSO.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I like to prefer to create a new global permission and tie that to Domain Admins. Make sure your AD group has permissions on the Data Center.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Per mayodreams, check out the global permissions tab and make sure you've assigned the 'administrator' role to your AD groups there.

Also create an AD group called vmware-admins or something, put an account in there and assign that account administrator permissions in vCenter. Unless this is your home lab in which case it doesn't really matter beyond sorting out how RBAC might work in production environments.

It's good to avoid logging in as a domain administrator all the time for everything.

Also, if you haven't already:

In the SSO Identity sources tab (under configuration) you can set your default domain so you won't have to remember typing @NET2500.LOCAL all the time.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm having an issue with the VMware Tools automatic module rebuilding stuff because the default GCC on my system isn't the one used to build the kernel, and the Tools seem too dumb to figure out where the right one is. /usr/lib/vmware-tools/sbin64/vmware-modconfig-console --get-gcc doesn't seem to give a poo poo about my $CC environment variable. Is there any way I can force this without badly mangling all their scripts?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Is there a way to create a VM in virt-manager without it automatically starting up?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

HPL posted:

Is there a way to create a VM in virt-manager without it automatically starting up?

Without starting at startup, or without starting at all?

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
Hopefully attempting to play a video game on a VM isn't taboo here. :ohdear:

On a more serious note, yesterday I got Virtualbox and set up two VMs, one with Win98SE (with SciTech Display Doctor 7.0) and the other one has WinXPSP3 for the purpose of playing a Japanese video game that was released in 1997 called Tales of the Float Land, which won't run in compatibility mode in Win10.

The issue I'm having is that the game is spitting out an error window which I can't see (nor would I be able to read what it says, as it would most likely be in Japanese) and I have no expertise in VMs whatsoever.

What I'm asking for is a sort of checklist of what I can check in my VMs' settings and gently caress around with without somehow rendering the VMs unusable. I'm also curious if I should use Virtualbox for that purpose.

Sorry if this seems like a :saddowns: request and thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Got windows 10?

Use hyper-v perhaps!

If you want to dick around with vm settings, go to where the vm is stored and grab a copy of its entire folder as a backup.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 10, 2016