Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

keykey posted:

Is there any way to boost HD video performance, youtube for example, between the vm and remote desktop? Last week I downloaded the free Hyper-v server 2012 r2 and configured it with a few VM's. I played around with RemoteFX and have found 0 operating difference between it being enabled/disabled or with it running off the built in intel hd4600 on cpu graphics vs a gtx 750. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way, but the only thing that really sucks about the VM's I'm playing with so far is HD video performance over a local connection which is where I need it to run a few minor machines off it.

There's a lot of tuning stuff you can do through policy that configures how the encoding works. are you adding the RemoteFX gpu to the guest VM? that's also needed to accelerate the h.264 encoding on the host side. what are you connecting from? the RDP client on win7 won't use remotefx out of box consistently unless you jump through some additional policy hoops on that end too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

There's a lot of tuning stuff you can do through policy that configures how the encoding works. are you adding the RemoteFX gpu to the guest VM? that's also needed to accelerate the h.264 encoding on the host side. what are you connecting from? the RDP client on win7 won't use remotefx out of box consistently unless you jump through some additional policy hoops on that end too

Currently, I'm using win 10 on the other end for RDP. I've tried everything from 15 bit to 32 bit color, changing experience from modem to lan to auto-detect, changing display size, etc. It looks really good, minimal frame and sound loss, but the annoying thing is the sound pops when it drops too many frames. I'm connecting up to the VM from RDP over 1gb cat5e through the same switch. What policies do I need to configure for encoding? The remoteFX gpu is on the server 2012 r2 hyper-v box. I may be running into screwy issues with the driver since there isn't exactly a driver install that works for that, rather everything runs through the .inf that I had to supply since it's a stripped down version of the server sans device manager. Maybe that version of windows server wasn't really made with RemoteFX in mind?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If this is just for testing, I would try getting the 2016 tech preview and running it against a Win10 guest. I've had good luck with that. Under the connection quality thing on the blue banner, make sure you're connecting with UDP as TCP can be iffy for audio/video stuff. Check the Windows Firewall config to make sure RDP and the RemoteFX (if there are separate ones) rules are all enabled. I think the client end needs to be running in 32-bit color mode for RemoteFX to work at all. The policy stuff you should be concerned about is under Computer Config/Templates/Windows Components/Remote Desktop Services/Remote Session Environment. You can do some tuning to trade off memory/cpu cycles on the host vs bandwidth savings depending on your situation.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I have some VMWare related questions. Am I correct in assuming that paid licensing cannot be upgraded to a later version and still be valid? For instance, I work for an MSP and I have a client that pays for vSphere 5 Essentials which is used on one of their hosts and they also have several other older licenses (2x vSphere 3.5 and 2x vSphere 4) which are no longer being used. They also have vCenter but it’s not used to manage hosts anymore as it was only managing the ones that I’ve now retired. If I were to upgrade the host running vSphere 5 Essentials would that license no longer be valid? Likewise, could I reuse the vCenter license with later versions of vCenter? I’ve not yet looked much into the licensing side of VMWare so I’m curious.

I have installed vSphere 6 Hypervisor (the free version) on their 3 newest hosts. Ideally I would like to be able to manage all 4 hosts using vCenter as it has some pretty cool features I’d like to be able to use in the future but knowing their financial situation this is likely an impossibility if licensing cannot be upgraded. But if the licenses they paid for in the past could be used with later versions of ESXi then I could (theoretically) have all 4 hosts running vSphere 6 Essentials and have them managed by the latest version of vCenter.

Or am I just dreaming of the impossible here?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
vSphere & vCenter licenses are generally locked to major revisions (vSphere 4.x / vSphere 5.x / vSphere 6.x / etc)

So a vSphere license can be good for vSphere 5.0 Update 1 and be able to update to vSphere 5.5 Update 3. You can even upgrade the vSphere 5.0 license to vSphere 6.0 if you have an active support contract for no cost (I think).

Seeing that vSphere 3.5 is EOS and vSphere 4 is also EOS, I really doubt they have an active maintenance contract, which would exclude them from an upgrade between versions

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Wicaeed posted:

vSphere & vCenter licenses are generally locked to major revisions (vSphere 4.x / vSphere 5.x / vSphere 6.x / etc)

So a vSphere license can be good for vSphere 5.0 Update 1 and be able to update to vSphere 5.5 Update 3. You can even upgrade the vSphere 5.0 license to vSphere 6.0 if you have an active support contract for no cost (I think).

Seeing that vSphere 3.5 is EOS and vSphere 4 is also EOS, I really doubt they have an active maintenance contract, which would exclude them from an upgrade between versions

Cool, thanks for the explanation!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

You can convert your license keys to a different major version in your support portal, assuming you have a valid login and support contract.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

If this is just for testing, I would try getting the 2016 tech preview and running it against a Win10 guest. I've had good luck with that. Under the connection quality thing on the blue banner, make sure you're connecting with UDP as TCP can be iffy for audio/video stuff. Check the Windows Firewall config to make sure RDP and the RemoteFX (if there are separate ones) rules are all enabled. I think the client end needs to be running in 32-bit color mode for RemoteFX to work at all. The policy stuff you should be concerned about is under Computer Config/Templates/Windows Components/Remote Desktop Services/Remote Session Environment. You can do some tuning to trade off memory/cpu cycles on the host vs bandwidth savings depending on your situation.

I couldn't for the life of me get UDP to work with windows 7 in a vm even after running the 4 RDP updater files and adding firewall exceptions. Installed windows 10 on the hyper-v server and it works amazing even without enabling remote fx. At least I know UDP makes all the difference.. Now I just have to hammer out why my Windows 7 image won't allow UDP connections. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though. :)

keykey fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 5, 2016

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

keykey posted:

I couldn't for the life of me get UDP to work with windows 7 in a vm even after running the 4 RDP updater files and adding firewall exceptions. Installed windows 10 on the hyper-v server and it works amazing even without enabling remote fx. At least I know UDP makes all the difference.. Now I just have to hammer out why my Windows 7 image won't allow UDP connections. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though. :)

Have you already checked this out?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

keykey posted:

Glad to hear it worked out. I wouldn't recommend Win7 as a guest OS under hyper-v, it's supported but most of the cool features didn't get added in until 8/8.1 which is its own clownshow. 2016 hits the official release by the end of the month I believe so you're pretty close on that for official Win10 support.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

H2SO4 posted:

Have you already checked this out?

Yes, I already checked that one out.

Glad to hear it worked out. I wouldn't recommend Win7 as a guest OS under hyper-v, it's supported but most of the cool features didn't get added in until 8/8.1 which is its own clownshow. 2016 hits the official release by the end of the month I believe so you're pretty close on that for official Win10 support.

That'd be cool, but there's also that whole windows 10 licensing thing whereas I already have win 7 pro licenses. :(

edit: Found an article with some more missing kb updates here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2013/11/12/remote-desktop-protocol-8-1-update-for-windows-7-sp1-released-to-web/

Just did another fresh windows 7 pro VM install. After running the updates in the order shown in that article, the options to enable UDP under group policy showed up for me and everything is working well. The second article outlining the installation in the order shown may have also been a key point the other one didn't show. It was a pain in the rear end, but it's working fine now. Thanks guys for all your help in resolving that. :)

keykey fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 6, 2016

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How are all you cool kids getting VSAN licenses for home lab use?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

cr0y posted:

How are all you cool kids getting VSAN licenses for home lab use?

I work for a VMware partner.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

big money big clit posted:

I work for a VMware partner.

Ok, but for the rest of us peons? I work for a fortune 200 and we have an ELA but am not sure how to pitch it to management to pay for my at home fuckery.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

cr0y posted:

Ok, but for the rest of us peons? I work for a fortune 200 and we have an ELA but am not sure how to pitch it to management to pay for my at home fuckery.

If you've got a good relationship with your VAR or VMware account team you can ask them pretty please for some NFR or eval keys. Eval keys are meant for customer use so those are your best bet. Big problem is that they are regenerated every 3 months so you're requesting and changing out keys pretty frequently.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I hate it when software does this. Just let me use the software please, I'll recommend it if it is good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I hate it when software does this. Just let me use the software please, I'll recommend it if it is good.

You hate it when you can't use software for free indefinitely?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

You hate it when you can't use software for free indefinitely?

I meant the regeneration of the keys actually.

For personal use I don't see the big deal no. I mean if you go to the trouble of having a Vsan at home and the supported hardware, you are probably someone in a position to recommend the software and people would actually listen to you. Yay free PR and goodwill.

See the popularity of Photoshop and 3dsMAX.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 7, 2016

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

cr0y posted:

VMUG Advantage. $200 for a year.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

cr0y posted:

VMUG Advantage EvalExperience: https://www.vmug.com/p/cm/ld/fid=8792

Gives you home lab licenses for nearly all VMware products, including VSAN. For $200/year, pretty good deal.

e:fb

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
FWIW, the VMUG subscription gives you the whole shebang for up to 6 CPUs. My lab has four two-CPU nodes so I'll probably buy another VMUG license to get a full 4-wide cluster. Has anyone added two VMUG licenses to the same vCenter Server appliance? I don't expect it to barf if I added a second but I would like to hear from someone who has done so already before I drop another 2 bills.

Edit: Others have confirmed, should be fine.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 7, 2016

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

For personal use I don't see the big deal no. I mean if you go to the trouble of having a Vsan at home and the supported hardware, you are probably someone in a position to recommend the software and people would actually listen to you. Yay free PR and goodwill.

This is a terrible example of affirming the consequent.

If you want to go to the trouble of having VSAN and home and the supported hardware, you're probably also in a position where you could afford a license (or you're already aware of the software and have used something similar).

I get that not everyone wants to use gluster+ovirt or hyperconverged hyper-v or whatever, but still.

Photoshop and 3ds Max are popular (and pirated) because they're industry-leading software. They are not popular because home users decided to :filez: the software then recommended it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

There is no way to ensure that those keys are only used for personal use or evaluation purposes outside of limiting their duration.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Is anyone using Veeam to backup to AWS storage? We're looking into the AWS storage gateway in VTL mode, just curious what kind of performance people have run into. I found a lot of talk online regarding it but not much in the way of first-hand experience.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

evol262 posted:

This is a terrible example of affirming the consequent.

If you want to go to the trouble of having VSAN and home and the supported hardware, you're probably also in a position where you could afford a license (or you're already aware of the software and have used something similar).

I get that not everyone wants to use gluster+ovirt or hyperconverged hyper-v or whatever, but still.

Photoshop and 3ds Max are popular (and pirated) because they're industry-leading software. They are not popular because home users decided to :filez: the software then recommended it.

Why? I thought it pretty reasonable. They have ESXi free, why not a VSAN personal option. Your idea is as soon as you have enterprise grade hardware at home you can afford enterprise licenses. I don't think it is that cut and dried, maybe you want to play with it on three VMs.

Photoshop and 3dsmax are industry standards, for a large part, because they were easily piratable/easily accessible and people coming into the industry had the requisite experience.

There is no way to ensure that those keys are only used for personal use or evaluation purposes outside of limiting their duration.

Now this I can see, maybe trust people to do the right thing? Or register them? I don't know.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 8, 2016

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Photoshop and 3dsmax are industry standards, for a large part, because they were easily piratable/easily accessible and people coming into the industry had the requisite experience.

This is complete rubbish, they were industry standards because they were excellent pieces of software . Randoms pirating photoshop to edit their holiday photos had no influence on what design agencies were using.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Why? I thought it pretty reasonable. They have ESXi free, why not a VSAN personal option. Your idea is as soon as you have enterprise grade hardware at home you can afford enterprise licenses. I don't think it is that cut and dried, maybe you want to play with it on three VMs.
Because VMware makes money on management add-ons.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This is affirming the consequent. Ask yourself whether Photoshop was commonly pirated because it was an industry standard or the other way around.

• if Photoshop is pirated often, it will be popular
  • Photoshop is popular
  • Therefore the popularity is due to piracy

Plenty of industry standard software is common and has tons of people who know how to use it because it is the best tool for the job, and those who don't know it learn once they start working.

That Photoshop is a standard because it's pirated is completely unsupportable from that statement. The alternative is that it gets pirated often because it's popular and an industry standard. By your logic, GIMP could be the standard (because it's free with a similar feature set, and the primary hurdle is the UI). If preexisting familiarity were the deciding factor, surely free software would have an edge.

Lots of proprietary/unpiratable software is standard, despite being gated in the same way as VSAN:

Oracle (including the entire middleware suite)
Solidworks
SPSS
Basically any BI/ERP software
Parts of Tivoli

We can keep going here.

I get that, from your perspective, a free VSAN license means you'd get to play with it. Is that meaningful/valuable from a business perspective? There are a couple of business cases for hyperconverged, depending on your scale. But eval licenses aren't hard to get. And in small environments (where shared storage is a hassle), an eval license is fine for proof of concept. In large ones, you're already evaluating other vendors, so an eval license is also fine. The personal experience/opinions of admins doesn't often carry a lot of weight in decision making, especially v other factors (cost, performance) which actually need to be tested vs an actual workload.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
It is both, but whatever. Photoshop is a standard because it is used in the industry people pirate it because it is used in the industry, Photoshop stays the standard because people keep using it and teach themselves the skills they need on pirated versions. This is not exactly a secret. I think MS once said they'd rather have pirated versions of Windows than people using Linux out there.

I think it is reasonable for VMware to make VSAN available for personal use. You don't agree that's fine.

BTW I don't have a horse in this race, I like ZFS and Ceph so I don't care either way, but free for personal use software is a good idea I think from a business perspective. If people are excited about your software word will get around.

ERP Systems are too specialized and not all software lends itself to this I think, but there are a large amount of techies who want to try software in their home labs. See the Packrats and the CCNA thread.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 8, 2016

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

You can try VSAN In your home lab. Anyone can get a 60 day trial license from VMware website for VSAN and almost anything else they sell. What you can't do is run it indefinitely without paying for it, because if you could do that at home you could do that then businesses could also do that and VMware would make a lot less money.

VSAN also requires VCenter to function and VCenter is where most of the VMware magic lives, so what you're basically saying is that VMware should give away all of their revenue generating products on the hope that people will give them money on the honor system.

Also, this sort of software defined infrastructure software isn't like photoshop or whatever, please stop comparing the two, it's a stupid comparison for many reasons.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

You can try VSAN In your home lab. Anyone can get a 60 day trial license from VMware website for VSAN and almost anything else they sell. What you can't do is run it indefinitely without paying for it, because if you could do that at home you could do that then businesses could also do that and VMware would make a lot less money.

VSAN also requires VCenter to function and VCenter is where most of the VMware magic lives, so what you're basically saying is that VMware should give away all of their revenue generating products on the hope that people will give them money on the honor system.

Also, this sort of software defined infrastructure software isn't like photoshop or whatever, please stop comparing the two, it's a stupid comparison for many reasons.

I don't see that, seeing all the "it won't be supported" posts in tech forums as being the deciding factor in a lot of discussions I don't think a business will run their SAN software on a personal license. YMMV of course. Or the "Who can I point the finger at when it goes tits up ( which it will )" posts being a deciding factor in buying software or anything in IT really. We are the business that coined the phrase no one ever got fired for buying IBM.

The comparison was not on a technical level, just a comparison that software being easily accessible makes software popular. Sort of like ESXi and the free Hyper-V being popular even when KVM and OpenStack are free.

A lot of posts in the Home Lab thread like: " I want to learn ESXi to upgrade mys skills etc. etc. " gives them (VMware) skilled professionals who will evangelise their product to their employers.

And 60 days sucks for testing, I know from my own experience that I would never use that if it meant I had to redo my homelab in a couple of months when maybe I did not had the time yet to put the software through its paces. And yes, you would test something like VSAN on real hardware.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 8, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Please go away.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.vmug.com/p/cm/ld/fid=8792

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

This is the correct answer.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I don't think a business will run their SAN software on a personal license.

You've never actually worked in this field then ?

Also

evil_bunnY posted:

Please go away.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

It is both, but whatever. Photoshop is a standard because it is used in the industry people pirate it because it is used in the industry, Photoshop stays the standard because people keep using it and teach themselves the skills they need on pirated versions. This is not exactly a secret.
You're making an unjustified tautological argument. Photoshop stays the standard because people pay for it, and Adobe can throw money at the product to keep improving it.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I think MS once said they'd rather have pirated versions of Windows than people using Linux out there.
This is the operating principle of edu discounts. MS never said they'd rather have pirated versions of Windows for home users than people paying for it. If the choice is "get users early and they'll buy Windows because they're familiar with it v people use OSX/Linux", then yes. But like infrastructure, operating systems are not a good comparison.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I think it is reasonable for VMware to make VSAN available for personal use. You don't agree that's fine.
It is free. For 60 days. Home users don't make VMware money, and they have no way to distinguish a "home user" with a lab from a small business which will never buy vWhatever and show up on their radar.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I don't see that, seeing all the "it won't be supported" posts in tech forums as being the deciding factor in a lot of discussions I don't think a business will run their SAN software on a personal license. YMMV of course. Or the "Who can I point the finger at when it goes tits up ( which it will )" posts being a deciding factor in buying software or anything in IT really. We are the business that coined the phrase no one ever got fired for buying IBM

I work for a company which makes almost all of its revenue on support (or the idea of support if you need it). The number of clients we get who were previously running their businesses on community/unsupported software is enormous. Saving thousands of dollars a year is a real business concern.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The comparison was not on a technical level, just a comparison that software being easily accessible makes software popular. Sort of like ESXi and the free Hyper-V being popular even when KVM and OpenStack are free.
This shows no understanding of what KVM or openstack are or how they work. Neither one plays in the same space as traditional virt. They are not accessible because openstack requires a ton of work and a totally different work model. KVM is like part of vmkernel. It isn't a product.

But you're conflating inertia with accessibility.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

A lot of posts in the Home Lab thread like: " I want to learn ESXi to upgrade mys skills etc. etc. " gives them (VMware) skilled professionals who will evangelise their product to their employers.
Backwards. VMware doesn't need evangelists. They're the 1000lb gorilla. People lab vmware because it's the leader in traditional virt. Not the other way around.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

And 60 days sucks for testing, I know from my own experience that I would never use that if it meant I had to redo my homelab in a couple of months when maybe I did not had the time yet to put the software through its paces. And yes, you would test something like VSAN on real hardware.
This is the point of eval. You want to evaluate VSAN and you can't do it in 60 days? Get real. Either you're not actually evaluating it (performance, workload, failure cases, different configurations), or you're not qualified to do so. 60 days is enough to evaluate almost anything in extreme depth.

evil_bunnY posted:

Please go away.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Zerto rep we work with had a customer that requested eval licenses to test the product and determine if it met their needs. She gave them an unrestricted eval license and about four or five months down the road they let her know that they had elected not to purchase the software as it did not meet their needs.

One of their employees told her, after he left, that they had never intended to buy the product, they were just looking for a way to easily and cheaply migrate their data center and Zerto made that possible, so they lied to the rep, used it to do their datacenter migration, and then ended the relationship. Now she won't do open ended evaluations with no time restrictions or success criteria.

Many of companies will do whatever they can to avoid paying money. And support absolutely falls into that category of thing that companies will forgo paying for if they can get the full software benefits for free. Doubly so when it comes to things like software that commoditizes infrastructure because then they can use the money that they save on support and licensing to buy more hardware to help weather software issues that might otherwise necessitate a support call by shifting the load off of the misbehaving platform.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 8, 2016

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Is anyone using Veeam to backup to AWS storage? We're looking into the AWS storage gateway in VTL mode, just curious what kind of performance people have run into. I found a lot of talk online regarding it but not much in the way of first-hand experience.

Depending on your needs, it could be easier than that. We have a couple terabytes of offsite backups in AWS. We simply have an Windows EC2 instance set up as a Veeam proxy with an attached EBS volume to store the backups (snapshot the EBS volume on a schedule). It sits in a VPC connected with a VPN to the network where Veeam is. It works great, however our deltas for that subset of backups is only about 20GB/day (8GB across the wire after compression).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Home lab is veeam / google nearline, I'm sure aws can back it just the same. It comes down to your vpn.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Tev posted:

VMUG Advantage EvalExperience: https://www.vmug.com/p/cm/ld/fid=8792

Gives you home lab licenses for nearly all VMware products, including VSAN. For $200/year, pretty good deal.

e:fb
For the yearly renewal of licenses, is it a full install of the product, or can you just drop a new license key in there? I'm wondering if I need to stand up a new vCenter and migrate to it each year, or if I can just maintain the same instance.

Just clarifying some wording, because it refers to a "365-day evaluation license for use in a home lab for personal use only", but also to a "one-time annual download" which is where my confusion comes in. You wouldn't really "download" a license, so is the wording just weird, or are you having to reinstall the product?

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

For the yearly renewal of licenses, is it a full install of the product, or can you just drop a new license key in there? I'm wondering if I need to stand up a new vCenter and migrate to it each year, or if I can just maintain the same instance.

Just clarifying some wording, because it refers to a "365-day evaluation license for use in a home lab for personal use only", but also to a "one-time annual download" which is where my confusion comes in. You wouldn't really "download" a license, so is the wording just weird, or are you having to reinstall the product?

You can just drop the new license in when you renew your VMUG Advantage and be good for another year.