Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Also, block spiceworks at your edge

Like reddit, it's blind-leading-blind malware for your brain
Put this in the OP please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Regular KVM with Virtual Machine manager also works pretty well.

Yes, this is pretty much ideal for a single node.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I used wok/kimchi on top of my kvm for a while so I could more easily do remote work with my VMs, it's not bad for a real simple VM manger but development seems to have stalled and it's missing some features I needed. It doesn't have any support for setting CPU passthrough flags or modes so I was still using virsh edit on my machine XMLs if I needed to do things like enable nested virtualization.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evol262 posted:

I'm actually the maintainer of oVirt Node and oVirt Appliance, so I can speak to this...

ovirt-hosted-engine-setup (which actually bootstraps the self-hosted engine) doesn't support local storage, which is the real killer for single nodes. oVirt Live as a single node is what you'd want.

oVirt is predicated on the idea of being "datacenter management" for historical reasons, and almost none of our users are on single hosts (or using local storage). There was an effort to dockerize oVirt about 4 years ago, but as it turns out, no users actually wanted to do this, so we mostly stopped development. It lives on in ovirt-containers, but doesn't see much use these days.

ovirt-hosted-engine-setup relies on the same backend code as any other storage domain in oVirt, and has 2 daemons plus sanlock to arbitrate bringing the engine up or migrating it, since the engine is essentially a single point of failure (vdsm, which is the utility which handles mapping oVirt to libvirt and system configuration) maps everything to the engine API.

That said, if you want a single system and you want to skip both oVirt Live and ovirt-hosted-engine-setup (which won't work without shared storage), you can set it up yourself on local storage.

Grab the appliance (yum -y install ovirt-engine-appliance) and yank the qcow off to another location. Add a user (saslpasswd2 -a libvirt martyoof) and use this to create a VM using the qcow and a cloud-init image (vdsm enforces sasl for libvirt). Run "engine-setup" on the VM.

This won't let you scale out if you want to, but if you get to that point, you can dump the engine DB (engine-backup) and import it to a hosted engine on shared storage when you add more hosts and shared storage.

More complex than proxmox, definitely. Use oVirt Live.

This is really good insight, thanks for the information! I've been testing my hacked node setup but I'll probably blow it away and go one of your suggested routes just to see what that looks like.

Thanks everyone who's replied so far. I think in light of everything I've looked at, what I'll probably try to do instead of switching off of VMware right now is to look at ways to automate my provisioning outside of VMware's template functionality. If I can use ansible to script a deployment then it's going to probably achieve the same results, and it'll let me maintain continuity across my systems for when I decide I want to change settings around. Instead of monkeying with the template and every live VM I have I'll just push some changes and let everything reconfigure itself.

Meanwhile, while I learn that I'm still going to keep monkeying with oVirt and Proxmox because I am actually pretty interested in alternate offerings -- from a curiosity perspective.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I'm not real familiar with VMware templates, but I do know that ansible can be finiky about deploying actual resources. I usually use ansible to configure the resource once it's deployed but use something else to provision the resource itself. It looks like terraform offers a VMware provider, if you know terraform that might be worth checking out: https://www.terraform.io/docs/providers/vsphere/index.html

Hell, even if you don't know terraform it might be worth checking out, it's a pretty cool tool - it could be totally unsuited for what you're looking to do but if not it's quick to learn.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
It's legitimately terrible software, but ManageIQ is maybe the best cross-platform solution for this.

Terraform is great if you're VMware/Openstack/:yaycloud:, but ManageIQ works with basically everything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a pair of ESX 5.1 servers...I see we can upgrade straight to 6.0, but can we go straight to 6.5 or newer? Is there some big hiccup along the way that will required upgrading and then upgrading again?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

We have a pair of ESX 5.1 servers...I see we can upgrade straight to 6.0, but can we go straight to 6.5 or newer? Is there some big hiccup along the way that will required upgrading and then upgrading again?
Check the HCL, they discontinued support for some processors in 6.5 and a bunch more in 6.7. I hosed myself on a test box going from 5.5 to 6.7, then it wouldn't boot any longer. The upgrade is nice enough to continue even on a processor that is unsupported.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I kind of love the irony that, for once, a company can be assed to keep up to date documentation (the HCL) that is extremely helpful and valuable. But the implementation just stagnates and YOLOs out bad upgrades with no regard for reality.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Yikes, didn't realize the older R620s I have stopped at 6.7

Edit: Dropped at 6.7, so 6.5 is the latest. I am dumb.

Moey fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 28, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Moey posted:

Yikes, didn't realize the older R620s I have stopped at 6.7
6.7 was literally just released.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Veeam 9.5 U3 is out. This is the vSphere 6.7 compatibility patch.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

anthonypants posted:

6.7 was literally just released.

I am aware, you think the HCL will expand as 6.7 matures more?

Edit: Dropped at 6.7, so 6.5 is the latest for them. I type good.

Potato Salad posted:

Veeam 9.5 U3 is out. This is the vSphere 6.7 compatibility patch.

I have been doing testing on the RTM of 9.5 U3a. It wasn't directly available as of last week, but support would hand out links for it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hrmm we have a 620 and a...430?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Moey posted:

I am aware, you think the HCL will expand as 6.7 matures more?

Edit: Dropped at 6.7, so 6.5 is the latest for them. I type good.

I have been doing testing on the RTM of 9.5 U3a. It wasn't directly available as of last week, but support would hand out links for it.

Have a feeling we've been in the same veeam thread.

Bob Morales posted:

Hrmm we have a 620 and a...430?

It sounds like you have an upgrade quote to negotiate.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Potato Salad posted:

Have a feeling we've been in the same veeam thread.

Heh, yeah. Good to see that Gostev guy is still there/active after all these years.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

I kind of love the irony that, for once, a company can be assed to keep up to date documentation (the HCL) that is extremely helpful and valuable. But the implementation just stagnates and YOLOs out bad upgrades with no regard for reality.
luckily for me I was smart enough to install in test before prod, so my lack of reading and comprehension did not cause more than an hour of being pissed at myself.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

adorai posted:

luckily for me I was smart enough to install in test before prod, so my lack of reading and comprehension did not cause more than an hour of being pissed at myself.

Why it would continue is just all kinds of wrong though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't even realize R620 was off the HCL for 6.7 before I upgraded. Thankfully no ill effects :ohdear:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Don't they expand the HCL whipe continue doing testing on new versions, or is that it once launched?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Moey posted:

Don't they expand the HCL whipe continue doing testing on new versions, or is that it once launched?

Can't answer that directly, but frankly you did be asking your vendor about compatibility anyway. I've encountered "Yes this is on the HCL....but....." before where X manufacturer's lab encounters trouble with something that gets validated but remains a little painful.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Like adorai said above, they discontinued support for certain processors with 6.7. Start there.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Well, poo poo. I was just about to buy an R720 to put the Grid K2 in and play with, but looks like it's not on the HCL for 6.7.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Potato Salad posted:

Can't answer that directly, but frankly you did be asking your vendor about compatibility anyway. I've encountered "Yes this is on the HCL....but....." before where X manufacturer's lab encounters trouble with something that gets validated but remains a little painful.

Good call, I wasn't sure on the whole process of getting stuff on the HCL. And those R620s came out in 2012 as well. I guess they are pretty long in the tooth.

I'll still reach out to harass my Dell rep. I have 5 of these things floating around currently.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's always fun when you don't read the HCL and upgrade to a release that doesn't support the NIC you're using

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

H2SO4 posted:

Well, poo poo. I was just about to buy an R720 to put the Grid K2 in and play with, but looks like it's not on the HCL for 6.7.

Just use 6.5? There isn't anything in 6.7 that's going to be groundbreaking for Grid. Hell Horizon and Citrix just now got upgraded to support 6.7... not sure what you planned on your presentation layer was going to be, but you're probably better off sticking with something that's baked for a while like 6.5 anyway.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

TheFace posted:

Just use 6.5? There isn't anything in 6.7 that's going to be groundbreaking for Grid. Hell Horizon and Citrix just now got upgraded to support 6.7... not sure what you planned on your presentation layer was going to be, but you're probably better off sticking with something that's baked for a while like 6.5 anyway.

Yeah it's not really a gigantic deal, just a bit sad that a new purchase is something that's already off the HCL. This will likely end up being the only ESXi box in the lab anyway so not being on the latest and greatest shouldn't be a big deal anyway.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone know if this KB article also applies to 6.0.x? I'm pretty sure we just experienced exactly this issue - one VM went unresponsive, then the entire host freaked out and we ended up pulling power from it because no shutdown options (for guests or the host itself) were actually working. However, we're on 6.0 and the KB article says applies to 5.5.x and 6.5.x.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

H2SO4 posted:

Yeah it's not really a gigantic deal, just a bit sad that a new purchase is something that's already off the HCL. This will likely end up being the only ESXi box in the lab anyway so not being on the latest and greatest shouldn't be a big deal anyway.

Unless you're dead set on using ESXi, if all you want to do is play around with vGPU you could go the XenServer route. I believe a R720 would still be on their HCL for the latest version.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also, I forgot earlier when I was posting about XenServer, but there's a free community rebuild called XCP-ng. It comes with all features unlocked and is (supposedly) fully interoperable with Citrix' commercial version. So that's a decent home lab option.

https://xcp-ng.org/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm tired so I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid or forgetting something obvious here, but all of a sudden I can't remember how to handle docker ports.

I'm trying to run this docker container, like so:

code:
sudo docker run \
	-d \
	--name="smartthings-mqtt-bridge" \
	-v /opt/mqtt-bridge:`pwd` \
	-p 8080:12492 \
	stjohnjohnson/smartthings-mqtt-bridge
When I do that I get:

code:
docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint 
smartthings-mqtt-bridge (d259cfdf707fb30d910b5cfbaa7135ca90b45de2d5fb2d58f2b80b51e3d74368): 
Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:8080: bind: address already in use.
I do have another service on 8080, but shouldn't my -p 8080:12492 mean that it's not attempting to use 8080 on my host?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thermopyle posted:

I'm tired so I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid or forgetting something obvious here, but all of a sudden I can't remember how to handle docker ports.

I'm trying to run this docker container, like so:

code:
sudo docker run \
	-d \
	--name="smartthings-mqtt-bridge" \
	-v /opt/mqtt-bridge:`pwd` \
	-p 8080:12492 \
	stjohnjohnson/smartthings-mqtt-bridge
When I do that I get:

code:
docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint 
smartthings-mqtt-bridge (d259cfdf707fb30d910b5cfbaa7135ca90b45de2d5fb2d58f2b80b51e3d74368): 
Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:8080: bind: address already in use.
I do have another service on 8080, but shouldn't my -p 8080:12492 mean that it's not attempting to use 8080 on my host?

No.

-p 8080:12492 is saying to nat any traffic destined to 8080 on your host to :12492 in your container. That means two things would try to listen to 8080 on your host.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pre:
-p=[]      : Publish a container᾿s port or a range of ports to the host
               format: ip:hostPort:containerPort | ip::containerPort | hostPort:containerPort | containerPort
               Both hostPort and containerPort can be specified as a
               range of ports. When specifying ranges for both, the
               number of container ports in the range must match the
               number of host ports in the range, for example:
                   -p 1234-1236:1234-1236/tcp

When specifying a range for hostPort only, the
               containerPort must not be a range.  In this case the
               container port is published somewhere within the
               specified hostPort range. (e.g., `-p 1234-1236:1234/tcp`)

(use 'docker port' to see the actual mapping)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

you know, i read that doc on -p several times besides posting and still never realized where I'd messed up.

I think I'll go take a nap.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Hello vm thread. I'm tracking an issue with my vsphere setup (6.5 u1) and my linux instances deployed through it. I've noticed after a while that they'll just begin to wreak havoc on the stability of the host, requiring a bounce. They're AWS VMs for storage gateway VMs from amazon, one for files and one for iSCSI. After about a month if the VMs are not rebooted, they'll stop responding to all functions (graceful reboot, hard shutdown, etc). The issue follows the instances and they're separated on different hosts. I can't vmotion the guest away, either.

Any ideas to mitigate this behavior so i don't have to reboot the hosts? I've never seen this in my windows guest so i'm at a loss. I should also note that i'm just administering the vsphere and not really certified in it to deep dive.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Hot money is on some dipshit using a signed into to count milliseconds since something started, which overflows in about 24 days (after which the bad code will probably check it 1000000 times a second and spinlock).

If you only have one vCPU, add another and check after a month whether it's 100% CPU. Then strace the offending process and smack the dev.

Or set a watchdog to kdump the thing if this happens, and look at the dump to figure out what happened

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

evol262 posted:

Hot money is on some dipshit using a signed into to count milliseconds since something started, which overflows in about 24 days (after which the bad code will probably check it 1000000 times a second and spinlock).

If you only have one vCPU, add another and check after a month whether it's 100% CPU. Then strace the offending process and smack the dev.

Or set a watchdog to kdump the thing if this happens, and look at the dump to figure out what happened

That's quite exactly the time I keep getting between failures on an oracle system

Thanks oracle

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I don't have an Oracle support contract at this job, but this was literally an Oracle bug in 10.5.14 or something 10. I found exactly this (on physical hosts, so no problems connecting, since there were free CPUs).

After helplessly looking at logs the first few times, it got escalated to me. I installed strace (on a production consumer banking host :eng99: to troubleshoot)

But really, this is a live Oracle bug (or was, 5 years ago), which is why I thought of this. Search their kbase for something like "gettimeofday cpu" and see if you need to patch

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Inside of a container, do you still need to run public facing services like haproxy or nginx as unprivileged users, or is it fine to run them as a normal ubuntu user? Chroot directives are extraneous as well right?

Methanar fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

Inside of a container, do you still need to run public facing services like haproxy or nginx as unprivileged users, or is it fine to run them as a normal ubuntu user? Chroot directives are extraneous as well right?
chroot is extraneous, yes. Running as an unprivileged user is also a lot less dangerous than outside of a container, because they need a way to break out of the container context in order to do most things you would actually care about. In order to further harden the container, you have a few different options:

• Run as an unprivileged user inside the container
  • Use your container runtime's support for capability whitelisting
  • Lock down your application using a MAC framework like AppArmor or SELinux

Depending on what you're doing, these may be totally unnecessary; unless you explicitly run with --privileged, Docker will create a capability bounding set that does not include the capabilities to do most dangerous operations as root. I think this list of capabilities dropped by Docker is probably out of date, but it's the best I was able to quickly find.