Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Thanks Ants posted:

There's no good reason not to install the vCenter plugins that your storage vendor provides

I agree.
I don't get to make all the decisions yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I have vmware set up on my old old gaming rig where it's been fun to play around with it for the last couple of years and make mistakes where it won't get me fired from a job.

What's a feasible in-home setup if I wanted to try setting it up with actual supported hardware? That includes all the caveats of a home lab: not a huge footprint, relatively quiet, won't make my power bill soar, etc.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I have vmware set up on my old old gaming rig where it's been fun to play around with it for the last couple of years and make mistakes where it won't get me fired from a job.

What's a feasible in-home setup if I wanted to try setting it up with actual supported hardware? That includes all the caveats of a home lab: not a huge footprint, relatively quiet, won't make my power bill soar, etc.

You need Virtually Ghetto, my man.

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

There's no good reason not to install the vCenter plugins that your storage vendor provides
His boss should be kept away from technical decisions is the subtext I’m getting from his posts.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Schadenboner posted:

You need Virtually Ghetto, my man.

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Virtually ghetto is cool. Just what I was looking for.

I knew there was a reason I ask the forums for all my important life advice.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I have a couple VMs under vmware 6.7 that need to be deleted. The datastore for these is on a SAN along with a bunch of other VMs we want to keep but someone said we should DoD wipe them. It looks like VMware has a write zeroes function but I don't think that qualifies. Does booting the VM to a usb and wiping from there accomplish the same thing?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CampingCarl posted:

I have a couple VMs under vmware 6.7 that need to be deleted. The datastore for these is on a SAN along with a bunch of other VMs we want to keep but someone said we should DoD wipe them. It looks like VMware has a write zeroes function but I don't think that qualifies. Does booting the VM to a usb and wiping from there accomplish the same thing?

You want to obliterate the OS and any data on the particular VM?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CampingCarl posted:

Are you required for regulatory reasons to wipe them? Given that VSAN data may be re-distributed across disk groups for a number of reasons there’s no way to guarantee that you’ve actually cleared all data related to the VM from the drives without wiping the drives themselves at the bit level.

If you actually require the capability to securely wipe data from VMs from the drives without destroying the drives then you’d need to look at per-VM encryption where you could then encrypt the VM and shred the keys after deletion.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Are you required for regulatory reasons to wipe them? Given that VSAN data may be re-distributed across disk groups for a number of reasons there’s no way to guarantee that you’ve actually cleared all data related to the VM from the drives without wiping the drives themselves at the bit level.

If you actually require the capability to securely wipe data from VMs from the drives without destroying the drives then you’d need to look at per-VM encryption where you could then encrypt the VM and shred the keys after deletion.
I will be asking tomorrow how much of this is required and how much was just 'someone heard of DoD wipe' or it needs to be to that level. Or if it even matters until we dispose of the drives.

Since this was a system setup before I started is that something we can migrate VMs to or has to be done at creation? That doesn't sound like something that would comply with regulatory compliance though. I think that would have to be something like separate sets of disk for each set of VMs.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CampingCarl posted:

Generally speaking, you cannot be certain that writes to SAN storage will be the same physical location, so cannot be certain you have overwritten your data by writing to a VM. From a regulatory standpoint, I doubt you have to wipe storage that will still be in your possession.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CampingCarl posted:

What’s the underlying storage. Trying to wipe a CoW-backed volume is only gonna end in tears

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you need to truly sanitize LOCAL hba storage, boot each esxi host with a live wiper image and wipe the vmfs/vsan extent media.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 28, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Note that deleting the logical objects associated with what you want destroyed, popping each node of a vsan cluster out one at a time, running ATA Secure Erase commands on each drive with a drive dock, and reconnecting the node with the assurance that (1) the datacenter is adequately physically secured (2) you will certify media destruction upon disposal or inter-org transfer ...

...may satisfy a wide gamut of moderate-grade federal and defense data governance standards, if that's what the co-worker has in mind. It may also take less time than doing a 22-M wipe on all the media and, depending on the manufacturer, may work on ssds.

Of course, said coworker may just be "hurr do a DoD wipe," which technically isn't actually a thing sanctioned by the DoD for use on non-DoD systems and is more correctly referred to as a three-pass wipe, AND really only works on magnetic media.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 28, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Read nist sp 800-88, even if the gobermint isn't a client of yours

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

What’s the underlying storage. Trying to wipe a CoW-backed volume is only gonna end in tears
Dell scv3000, don't see anything about cow in the manual but it is a concern and I would rather just assume it does.

I know getting iso27001 is a stated goal too so even if this is fine I may have to change the current system anyway.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CampingCarl posted:

Dell scv3000, don't see anything about cow in the manual but it is a concern and I would rather just assume it does.

I know getting iso27001 is a stated goal too so even if this is fine I may have to change the current system anyway.

You’d have to wipe every drive in the array. Neither the storage not the hypervisor have a complete picture of which blocks may have belonged to a particular VM at some point and have not yet been overwritten so there’s no facility for wiping only those blocks.

The correct question to ask is what are you trying to protect against? This currently sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Identify the actual problem and then work out a technically feasible solution.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If this is something you need to do more of in the future then would VM encryption provide some assurances that the data inside the VM was gone when it was deleted?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You’d have to wipe every drive in the array. Neither the storage not the hypervisor have a complete picture of which blocks may have belonged to a particular VM at some point and have not yet been overwritten so there’s no facility for wiping only those blocks.

The correct question to ask is what are you trying to protect against? This currently sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Identify the actual problem and then work out a technically feasible solution.
Short term problem: wipe out the data as much as we can without impacting other projects with data on the SAN, from above I'm told this realistically means delete the VM and wipe/destroy the drives when they are no longer in use.

Long term problem: I know we have upcoming projects(some govt) that will require us to certify media is sanitized, overwrite three times before reuse or degauss/destroy, which as pointed out is hard to do when that could apply to every disk on the SAN. I think my worry is most of these refer to 'sanitizing before reuse' of the drive and I am not sure if that means at the end of the project or just when the drive leaves IT's possession. VM encryption seems like a practical solution we should use but I am unsure if that qualifies for sanitizing in these policies that say overwrite three times etc. I could just be overthinking this but also don't want our process to end up being 'we swear we will destroy the disk later' for compliance.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

CampingCarl posted:

Short term problem: wipe out the data as much as we can without impacting other projects with data on the SAN, from above I'm told this realistically means delete the VM and wipe/destroy the drives when they are no longer in use.

Long term problem: I know we have upcoming projects(some govt) that will require us to certify media is sanitized, overwrite three times before reuse or degauss/destroy, which as pointed out is hard to do when that could apply to every disk on the SAN. I think my worry is most of these refer to 'sanitizing before reuse' of the drive and I am not sure if that means at the end of the project or just when the drive leaves IT's possession. VM encryption seems like a practical solution we should use but I am unsure if that qualifies for sanitizing in these policies that say overwrite three times etc. I could just be overthinking this but also don't want our process to end up being 'we swear we will destroy the disk later' for compliance.

You’re overthinking it. Re-use means before the physical drives leave your possession, such as when you retire the array or when a drive is replaced and the old drive must be returned or disposed of.

There are no explicit government standards for media sanitization so what is acceptable or not comes down to the determination of the government security officer in charge of making sure you’re compliant. The three wipe pass was never a standard and hasn’t been recommended for quite a while, but you still see people saying it’s required. NIST guidelines recommend a single pass as sufficient for magnetic media. Overwriting passes may not be effective at all on other types of media, such as flash, that have a controller interposed that virtualizes the SCSI interface.

If the goal here is merely to meet regulatory requirements for protecting sensitive government data then you need to identify the government responsible for determining if you are meeting your obligations and ask them how to handle various scenarios.

If the goal is to actually secure the data against drive level tampering then implement encryption at rest for all covered data, use industry best practices around key rotation, management, and security, and physically destroy drives when they are retired.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CampingCarl posted:

I could just be overthinking this but also don't want our process to end up being 'we swear we will destroy the disk later' for compliance.

Go. Read. 800-88. If this is the USA.

There is a flowchart for low, moderate, and high risk data, what action you are dealing with the media, and whether you need to clear, wipe, or destroy media in each case, plus required verification for each case (like drive destruction certification).

Guaranteeing destruction of media isn't just a "we promise" sort of thing, you need to specify how you do it as applied to an environment for 27001, 800-171, 800-53r4 Moderate, etc and there's actually some structure to it.

As a concrere example, for most categories of non-specified CUI under 800-171 (thus moderate), it is adequate to clear a drive before intradepartmental reuse. Should the drive later need to be thrown away, you'd look at the same flowchart and determine that destruction is necessary (I think). You need to read up on this instead of following your feelings.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 31, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"I'll just destroy drives always" doesn't fly, either, in a world with BGA SSDs in expensive laptops. Your policy needs nuance.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Potato Salad posted:

"I'll just destroy drives always" doesn't fly, either, in a world with BGA SSDs in expensive laptops. Your policy needs nuance.

If your policy requires destruction of the drives or is easiest to implement through destruction, you could just not buy ultra-thin laptops. Unless your use case also requires Macs you have plenty of options that will continue to use standard 2.5" and M.2 format drives, and you'll get better machines anyways.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

wolrah posted:

If your policy requires destruction of the drives or is easiest to implement through destruction, you could just not buy ultra-thin laptops. Unless your use case also requires Macs you have plenty of options that will continue to use standard 2.5" and M.2 format drives, and you'll get better machines anyways.

Blasphemy, buying hardware to accommodate security needs is heresy.

High level flow FYI. Fairly common sense, buy policy needs to actually flesh out how you interpret and implement this flow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My company is even paranoid about theoretical memory retrieval which likely couldn't even be a thing outside of lab conditions.

So the machines go into the shredder, whole thing.

Add a new contractor and they don't work out after two weeks? Hardware is trashed.

At least, this is the impression I have from discussions with the team involved.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

bull3964 posted:

My company is even paranoid about theoretical memory retrieval which likely couldn't even be a thing outside of lab conditions.

So the machines go into the shredder, whole thing.

Add a new contractor and they don't work out after two weeks? Hardware is trashed.

At least, this is the impression I have from discussions with the team involved.

drat what type of super secret poo poo are you all working on?!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

TheFace posted:

He could tell you, but then he would have to kill you.

:ninja:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

bull3964 posted:

the team involved is stealing every computer

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

For the paranoid, you can 22-m RAM :colbert:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Vulture Culture posted:

the team involved is stealing every computer

Thank them for helping keep ebay prices low.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

can I have your totally-legal $3.89 win7 enterprise mak keys?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Potato Salad posted:

Blasphemy, buying hardware to accommodate security needs is heresy.
For me it's just one more of many reasons to dislike BGA-only laptops. Their lack of upgradability makes them significantly less repairable and they tend to be so thin that they overheat if you even think about using their full capabilities, so IMO they're a bad idea for business use in general.

That said there are a lot of other good reasons one might choose laptop hardware in particular based on security policy needs. TPMs, built in fingerprint readers, smartcard readers, facial recognition cameras, lack of cameras, USB ports for required dongles, USB port manageability, vPro/AMD equiv presence/lack, etc. All things that will validly limit your hardware choice a lot more than just avoiding a few machines that only exist for their looks.

quote:

High level flow FYI. Fairly common sense, buy policy needs to actually flesh out how you interpret and implement this flow.

I of course agree 100% with that sort of flow, but I can entirely understand how a company might make the choice to just lean on "Destroy" for anything remotely sensitive. Disks are cheap as dirt. Data breaches can be expensive. Tossing disks in to an industrial shredder is pretty much foolproof and really easy to validate. If the output resembles glitter more than disks, no one's getting any data from it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheFace posted:

Just the potential for PHI.

I think the bigger issue is they pretty much gutted the desktop team down to a skeleton crew and outsourced imaging to a 3rd party that drop ships computers for new hires. So, they don't really have the manpower to remove drives and properly track and dispose of the pieces. So, it's easier and cheaper to err on the side of caution.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 1, 2019

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good book on PowerCLI for someone who's done fair bit of UNIX scripting, but is fairly new to VMWare?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Powercli is strictly a Powershell module, so you'll need to both install PS on Linux (easy) and learn a little Powershell (honestly, also pretty easy).

There's a YouTube series called Learn Powershell In A Month of Lunches or something like that. It's fantastic, it's hands on, go dip your feet in.

The cool thing about powercli is that most everything you want to do has been tried before at least in parts, so it isn't hard to get an idea of which objects and methods you'll need to use with a few cursory searches before a project.

I'm autodeploying tenants, auditing configuration, consuming events/syslogs and alarming on bullshit in siem, etc all with or assisted by powercli and I've not cracked open a book. Just toss yourself at it one specific project at a time.

Fun learning experience: next time you need to reboot a server or hand deploy something, don't use vcenter.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 3, 2019

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book on PowerCLI for someone who's done fair bit of UNIX scripting, but is fairly new to VMWare?

You can also script with python https://github.com/vmware/pyvmomi but you can tell its not as polished as powercli.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Has anyone else noticed just how bad VMware support has gone to poo poo? We’ve been going on a week and a half of “escalations” for a ticket, and we’re having to beat up on the ticket holder and his manager just to even get a response/update.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ah come on, cone on, if you were dissatisfied you should have just notified the manager, come on!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have had more success with Microsoft support lately, in that they protectively PROACTIVELY look for causes instead of suppressing symptoms then waving "Listen this can't possibly be happening" arms about.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

devmd01 posted:

Has anyone else noticed just how bad VMware support has gone to poo poo? We’ve been going on a week and a half of “escalations” for a ticket, and we’re having to beat up on the ticket holder and his manager just to even get a response/update.

Well, what do you expect when the company has gutted global support services? Michael Dell needs more money, and he isn't going to get it by paying for support engineers.