Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DevNull posted:

Well, what do you expect when the company has gutted global support services? Michael Dell needs more money, and he isn't going to get it by paying for support engineers.
Always good to see the inside story matches the outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

it was hot garbage for me even before the dell acquisition. thanks for the poo poo lacp implementation guys

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Had some really poor experiencing with their support over the past couple of years. Got a very "will the last one out turn off the lights" kinda vibe. Not nearly as bad as Citrix's XenServer support, but still bad. Which is a shame, because their support used to be one of the absolute best. That seems to have fallen on Nimble these days. Really impressed with my support interactions with them.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 6, 2019

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

it was hot garbage for me even before the dell acquisition. thanks for the poo poo lacp implementation guys

Yeah. About 4 years ago we had someone from the GSS team in Canada join our development team because he saw the writing on the wall. A year or so after that, most of his old team was laid off. Now they are implementing a pager duty rotation, and a few months after rolling it out they laid off one of the support staff that was supposed to make sure tickets got to the right team. I would like to give a hopeful outlook, but I am just not seeing it.

Not to say that they whole company is downsizing, they are just moving headcount into areas where they see the most growth. The core of the ESX/vsphere team is staying the same size, but they are growing network and storage.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Ah, VMware's old Achilles heel, "any kind of standard networking function". As long as VMware has been a thing, standard vSwitches have flat-out ignored packets with QoS flags. Not ignored the flags—ignored the packets. Get Methanar drunk and ask him about Arista switches

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Internet Explorer posted:

That seems to have fallen on Nimble these days. Really impressed with my support interactions with them.

It's painfully evident that 99.999% of Nimbles are sold with iSCSI and no FC. Never have a problem with their support on their iSCSI SANs. I happen to have a consulting customer (side gig) that has the only FC Nimble I've seen, and dealing with their support is often times either them throwing up their hands saying it has to be something wrong in the zoning with no explanation as to why (it's not) or one of them trying to explain (incorrectly) FC zoning on a Nexus and me wanting to bash my head on a desk.

I'm currently in a finger pointing battle between Cisco, Nimble, and Dell on who gets to take the blame for volumes randomly going disconnected from the servers. Even though config is correct on all sides.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

#AllSupportIsBad

It took me like a month to get a reply back from our AWS account team on something. The question was straightforward and literally blocking us from spending 7 figures annually with them :shrug:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I have what I hope is a stupid question:
I'm a software dev and need to install some third party stuff on Linux and document the process for my company's customers.

I used the Windows 10 Hyper-V Quick Create app to give myself an Ubuntu VM to play around in.

What my problem is, is: nothing happens when I go to connect to my VM through the Hyper-V Management console.

It's running and sending the heartbeat to the management console, and I can see the desktop in the tiny preview window.

I did find that if I ran vmconnect.exe as administrator, I could choose the VM and connect.

I was also able to connect from the quick create tool when I stood the VM up last week. Just not from within the Hyper-V Management console.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

We got any VSAN people in here? I keep running into pain in the rear end issues when trying to replace a failed HDD/SSD in a VSAN disk group. Basically, a disk will fail and for whatever reason I can't remove the disk in the VSAN disk management pane. Progress just sits at 0% and then eventually fails with "can't write partition" Yea dude, I know, The disk is failed, Im trying to get rid of it. This happens regardless of the evacuation method i use (I usually just do no evac since the disk group is dead anyways in the event of an SSD (cache) failure".

Varashi
Sep 1, 2006
THE MAN is limiting my BANDWIDTH :argh: [belgian goons]
Physically remove the disk from the server, then remove the disk from vsan without data evacuation.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

TheFace posted:

FC Nimble

At previous job, we deployed 3 of these.
2 of them with an HP c7000, FC on the flexfabric. Worked great.
1 of them was for the DR site, so it was direct-attached to an HP rackmount (forget the model), with FC cards added on. Everything appeared to work...

Until we test out VMWare DRS on T-2 days to go to Prod with the whole environment, forklift from the old one... at the end of the last big batch of data migration, and with a couple of days to bake in before the full gala event, with the new system in use and the works.

DRS would not work. The issue ended up being something along the lines of direct-attached wasn't really well tested by Nimble, and they were looking for FC fabric logons, which were not happening (were all zeros or null, can't remember this either), and their VMware SRA driver was where they had the fix. They offered us a beta of a new driver with the patch, after a conference call with their lead engineer for the SRA in which he admitted to finding the bug, and knowing that it was "a one liner".

Thankfully, our sales vendor was on the call, and he offered to pay for a fully supported FC switch... so we took that, and avoided having to run some suuuuper snowflake driver that wasn't going to be QA'd or anything.

So, kind of a horror story, but the FC switch was overnighted, we put it in and DRS was a miraculous success. Go-live went pretty well after that, too.

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 19, 2019

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I want to try to run a hard drive from an old laptop (no longer in my possession) mainly just to do a comparison to a stock OEM bloatware install vs decrapified OEM install vs clean install. I have the physical hard drive from the laptop, and I have chosen to try to use VirtualBox for this, I supsect the answer might be to use VM Player but I think I should be able to do this with VirtualBox.

The host machine is a Windows 10 Pro 1809 x64 with a BIOS, the laptop's hard drive is Windows 10 Home 1809 x64 with UEFI. I used disk management to create and attach a VHD, then I used the free edition of Macrium Reflect to clone the laptop's drive to the VHD file. I created a new VM in VirtualBox with OS type Windows 10 x64 selected, then attached the VHD and attempted to boot. First, I received an error message that said boot media was not present, I can get the exact wording but I'm not certain if this is a Windows error message or a VirtualBox error message. If anything, I suspect its a VirtualBox error message since I haven't managed to get any reaction out of the OS on the VHD. Next, I used the Media Creation Tool to create an ISO for Win 10 1809 x64 and mounted the ISO to VirtualBox, I booted the ISO and selected startup repair. I think startup repair found the OS and attempted to repair, but failed right away with a generic error message. It was at this point that I realized there is an option in VirtualBox under system settings to enable EFI, I assume since the laptop had EFI then I need to select this option in VirtualBox. I chose this option but I don't think it made things any better, instead now when I attempt to boot the VM I see minimal activity, the screen resizes but remains a black screen. Checking CPU in task manager I see VirtualBox Manager process using ~30% CPU, I suspect that might be from the VM but at least according to windows task manager I think the VirtualBox Manager process is actually causing the CPU usage (I haven't actually verified this by checking CPU usage with and without the VM "running"). I left the Virtual Machine like this for only a couple minutes before killing it so I could leave for class.

Is there any other setting I should try in VirtualBox? Is it possible to somehow copy the OEM recovery partition and use that to "restore" a fresh copy of the OS to a blank VHD? When I check explorer, the Laptops recovery partition is reported as taking up 11GB but I only see 400MB worth of files (I have show hidden files enabled). Searching google for this I haven't found a good indepth article, everything I've seen thus far seems to suggests this should just work right away. I think another option that might work might be to somehow boot the hard drive (I think I can boot it using another laptop I have with UEFI) and create a recovery disk from with the laptop's OS, assuming I can actually boot it directly using my second laptop.

I'm not strongly opposed to installing VM Ware Player, I just think I am more familiar with VirtualBox and I am skeptical that VirtualBox is the problem.

*edit* I downloaded and installed VM player and pointed it to the VHD, it booted right away with no extra configuration. It's a little crooked but it's booting up right now. It managed to boot up and appears to be completely normal, except incredibly slow and of course not activated.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 22, 2019

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
What are people running for AV in their VMware environments today? We have been using Kaspersky with KSV for a long time but are considering a switch. My reseller mentioned Trend, but was non-committal on their recommendation. We like something that integrates with NSX, but are willing to move to agents if there is a big difference. We have around 300 servers and 700 vdi sessions to protect.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have been pretty happy with BitDefender. It integrates with NSX and is agentless. We only have about 50 servers and 100 VDIs. We use Citrix Provisioning Services, which is sensitive to anything that fucks with network or disk I/O and we haven't had any problems. The integration with NSX is a little cumbersome, but I think that's more NSX's fault as it was fine with old-style vShield. Had an incident last week where an AV update caused their security virtual appliances to max out CPU and it caused huge performance issues, but that has been the only time in the ~3 years we've used it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Can anyone suggest some eBay-able hardware that is compatible with ESX 6.7?

I have an Opteron-based ESX 6.5 lab whose CPUs are not supported anymore so I cannot upgrade to 6.7. I have three hosts built on Supermicro H8SGL-F motherboards with Operon 6000-series CPUs and they have reached EOL on vMWare's HCL.

I'd like to replace the three hosts with two hosts, spending around $250 per box for CPU/RAM/Motherboar. Can anyone recommend me a CPU/Motherboard combo that is (relatively) future proof?

I'd prefer it to be a Supermicro board for the IPMI capability with remote KVM, but will look at anything.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Can anyone suggest some eBay-able hardware that is compatible with ESX 6.7?

I have an Opteron-based ESX 6.5 lab whose CPUs are not supported anymore so I cannot upgrade to 6.7. I have three hosts built on Supermicro H8SGL-F motherboards with Operon 6000-series CPUs and they have reached EOL on vMWare's HCL.

I'd like to replace the three hosts with two hosts, spending around $250 per box for CPU/RAM/Motherboar. Can anyone recommend me a CPU/Motherboard combo that is (relatively) future proof?

I'd prefer it to be a Supermicro board for the IPMI capability with remote KVM, but will look at anything.
Not sure if this is helpful at all for Opteron 61xx series, but some people have had luck bypassing the compatibility check on Xeon 56xx:

https://www.thehumblelab.com/vsphere-67-homelabs-unsupported-cpu/

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
How to downsize a vCenter 6.7 appliance?

We did an upgrade from 6.5 appliance and the only available deployment size was X-Large, which left us with way too big appliance. I suspect the reason was that we had originally installed the appliance with Medium deployment size, but X-Large storage.

Simply reducing vCPUs and RAM isn't supported. I think our options are to either install a new Medium appliance and do the upgrade from the current appliance to transfer config, or install a new appliance and restore the config from backup. But I'm not quite sure would that process work, I only have vague recollections left from the previous vCenter deployments. If I install the appliance using the temporary IP we used in the upgrade, will the upgrade-transfer or backup restore do all required to set the new appliance in the place of the current.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Saukkis posted:

How to downsize a vCenter 6.7 appliance?

We did an upgrade from 6.5 appliance and the only available deployment size was X-Large, which left us with way too big appliance. I suspect the reason was that we had originally installed the appliance with Medium deployment size, but X-Large storage.

Simply reducing vCPUs and RAM isn't supported. I think our options are to either install a new Medium appliance and do the upgrade from the current appliance to transfer config, or install a new appliance and restore the config from backup. But I'm not quite sure would that process work, I only have vague recollections left from the previous vCenter deployments. If I install the appliance using the temporary IP we used in the upgrade, will the upgrade-transfer or backup restore do all required to set the new appliance in the place of the current.

Where are you seeing that reducing vCPU & RAM isn't supported? VCSA allows for hot removal of vCPU, and you can reduce RAM by shutting it down and then changing it?

Though the backup and restore to a new deployment definitely works (I've used it, though not to downsize but it does let you pick a different size on the deployment if you want).

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

TheFace posted:

Where are you seeing that reducing vCPU & RAM isn't supported? VCSA allows for hot removal of vCPU, and you can reduce RAM by shutting it down and then changing it?

Though the backup and restore to a new deployment definitely works (I've used it, though not to downsize but it does let you pick a different size on the deployment if you want).

We asked this from the VMware support and their view was that, "from the issue description I understand that you are looking for a way to decrease the numbre of CPU's assigned for VCSA .

There is no supported/recommended way to do this as this is VCSA I dont recommend to test on it, instead you cna have a another DUMMY VCSA appliance deployed with large and then try to reduce it to less number of CPU.

But this is not recommended."

My coworker tried to google this issue and he found in articles about upsizing, that instructed what kind of configuration modifications should be done internally after the vCPU and RAM increases. I think he mentioned at least Java memory sizing. So if the deployment size sets different kinds of configurations inside the appliance, then I would understand why downsizing would not be a tested or supported. Too complicated to figure out what should be fixed.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Saukkis posted:

We asked this from the VMware support and their view was that, "from the issue description I understand that you are looking for a way to decrease the numbre of CPU's assigned for VCSA .

There is no supported/recommended way to do this as this is VCSA I dont recommend to test on it, instead you cna have a another DUMMY VCSA appliance deployed with large and then try to reduce it to less number of CPU.

But this is not recommended."

My coworker tried to google this issue and he found in articles about upsizing, that instructed what kind of configuration modifications should be done internally after the vCPU and RAM increases. I think he mentioned at least Java memory sizing. So if the deployment size sets different kinds of configurations inside the appliance, then I would understand why downsizing would not be a tested or supported. Too complicated to figure out what should be fixed.

I guess that makes sense though I've seen people change the amount of RAM and CPU on the VCSA and never run into a problem. YMMV obviously.

If you're overly concerned definitely the backup and deploy a new VCSA and restore.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

In 2019, VMware still can't figure out how to set a process's configuration at runtime

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

TheFace posted:

I guess that makes sense though I've seen people change the amount of RAM and CPU on the VCSA and never run into a problem. YMMV obviously.

If you're overly concerned definitely the backup and deploy a new VCSA and restore.

Yeah, we too suspect it would work. But this vCenter will be for our major VMware environment so we not only want to be sure it works, we also want it to be in a state completely supported by VMware. Fortunately this vCenter isn't yet in production so we are leaning towards rebuilding it from scratch. But we still consider trying the restore option to learn how it works. We have another production 6.5 appliance with the same Medium deployment/X-large storage issue and we need to figure out a way around it.

This also raises me the question, did we do something wrong? I would expect Medium deployment/X-large storage to be a common configuration for 6.5 appliances and I think the 6.7 upgrade should be able to handle it just fine. Could there have been some other issue preventing smaller sized deployment options?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Yeah, we too suspect it would work. But this vCenter will be for our major VMware environment so we not only want to be sure it works, we also want it to be in a state completely supported by VMware. Fortunately this vCenter isn't yet in production so we are leaning towards rebuilding it from scratch. But we still consider trying the restore option to learn how it works. We have another production 6.5 appliance with the same Medium deployment/X-large storage issue and we need to figure out a way around it.

This also raises me the question, did we do something wrong? I would expect Medium deployment/X-large storage to be a common configuration for 6.5 appliances and I think the 6.7 upgrade should be able to handle it just fine. Could there have been some other issue preventing smaller sized deployment options?

It's been a little while but I think if you had a bunch of performance logging turned on on your old appliance it would not let you choose a smaller appliance. Or maybe it was how long you kept logs for, where if you had to choose a larger storage size it would rule out the smaller CPU appliances. If you do a bit of Googling you should find some discussion on it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody have any experience running VMs from Unraid? I'm about to pull the trigger on the following:

Ryzen 7 2700/2700x
32 GB RAM
Geforce GTX 1050 Ti (GPU transcoding for Plex)
Vega 56 (Windows VM)

Realistically, how much of a performance hit am I going to take gaming in Windows if I allocate 4 cores while Unraid is concurrently using the 4 other cores to manage Plex/Sab/Radarr/Sonarr/Ombi? It seems like a no-brainer to grab a refurb 1050 Ti for $90 so I can throw transcode workload onto the GPU instead.

The other thing I'm concerned about is dealing with AMD drivers - it seems like the Nvidia vm drivers are a lot better.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 16, 2019

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gay Retard posted:

Does anybody have any experience running VMs from Unraid? I'm about to pull the trigger on the following:

Ryzen 7 2700/2700x
32 GB RAM
Geforce GTX 1050 Ti (GPU transcoding for Plex)
Vega 56 (Windows VM)

Realistically, how much of a performance hit am I going to take gaming in Windows if I allocate 4 cores while Unraid is concurrently using the 4 other cores to manage Plex/Sab/Radarr/Sonarr/Ombi? It seems like a no-brainer to grab a refurb 1050 Ti for $90 so I can throw transcode workload onto the GPU instead.

The other thing I'm concerned about is dealing with AMD drivers - it seems like the Nvidia vm drivers are a lot better.

Iirc you're going to pass through the GPU to the VM. Which makes it unavailable for transcoding if the VM is on.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Iirc you're going to pass through the GPU to the VM. Which makes it unavailable for transcoding if the VM is on.

The GTX 1050 is going to be allocated to my Plex docker/transcoding exclusively. The Vega 56 will be allocated toward the Win10 vm and be used for games.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Saukkis posted:

We tried the restore, but were unsuccesful. If we choose the Restore option from VCSA installer, then it will check the backup for the appliance size, set it to X-Large and downsizing isn't possible. We then tried installing a new Medium sized appliance and try the Restore option from appliance configuration. Here we are stopped by error:

quote:

Validation Result
Error: Metadata and system validation failed.
Error: Failed to retrieve appliance storage list.

This might be because it thinks the restore would not fit in the new appliance.

nuckingfuts
Apr 21, 2003

Saukkis posted:

We tried the restore, but were unsuccesful. If we choose the Restore option from VCSA installer, then it will check the backup for the appliance size, set it to X-Large and downsizing isn't possible. We then tried installing a new Medium sized appliance and try the Restore option from appliance configuration. Here we are stopped by error:

This might be because it thinks the restore would not fit in the new appliance.

Can you just deploy a brand new VCSA and manually import the postgres DB from the original (not restoring through the installer)? There are some KB articles that might help:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2144536
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2091961

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Anyone using vSphere Flash Read Cache? If so, what are your observations on performance with it?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Is there a way to migrate a VM from one cluster to another cluster that has incompatible CPU types?

I have an ESX6.5 cluster running on Opteron 6128 CPUs and a cluster running ESX6.7 running on Xeon E5620 chips.

I'm trying to decommission the Opteron cluster but doing a vMotion won't work due to the incompatibility between Opterons on 6.5 and Xeons on 6.7.

What's the best way of moving these workloads to the Xeon cluster?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Is there a way to migrate a VM from one cluster to another cluster that has incompatible CPU types?

I have an ESX6.5 cluster running on Opteron 6128 CPUs and a cluster running ESX6.7 running on Xeon E5620 chips.

I'm trying to decommission the Opteron cluster but doing a vMotion won't work due to the incompatibility between Opterons on 6.5 and Xeons on 6.7.

What's the best way of moving these workloads to the Xeon cluster?
Power off, migrate, power on. There's no way to do it live

If these are Windows VMs you'll probably need to answer a question on the VM console and reboot again afterwards

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Vulture Culture posted:

Power off, migrate, power on. There's no way to do it live

If these are Windows VMs you'll probably need to answer a question on the VM console and reboot again afterwards

Exactly this.

EVC will mask CPU features to make vMotion possible between different generation CPUs, but I have no idea about AMD to Intel with it. It also needs to be turned on before the VM is booted up on the hosts.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Moey posted:

Exactly this.

EVC will mask CPU features to make vMotion possible between different generation CPUs, but I have no idea about AMD to Intel with it. It also needs to be turned on before the VM is booted up on the hosts.

You can't do EVC between AMD and Intel.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks for the replies all. I'm just going to bite the bullet and schedule an outage to move these boxes.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Agrikk posted:

Thanks for the replies all. I'm just going to bite the bullet and schedule an outage to move these boxes.

If you want to do it with minimal disruption, mount the data stores from the old cluster to the new cluster. That way you can just shut down on the old hardware, vmotion the vm compute to the new hardware and fire it up, then start running a storage vmotion in the background while its up to get it on the new datastores. Did this process when I had to integrate a junky old cluster with an incompatible EVC mask, only saw about 5 min of downtime max.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

If you want to do it with minimal disruption, mount the data stores from the old cluster to the new cluster. That way you can just shut down on the old hardware, vmotion the vm compute to the new hardware and fire it up, then start running a storage vmotion in the background while its up to get it on the new datastores. Did this process when I had to integrate a junky old cluster with an incompatible EVC mask, only saw about 5 min of downtime max.

Great idea. Thanks for this.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Another fun mess. Oracle DB cluster with vSAN. Really tight schedule, need to limit core count, very little experience with vSAN. Original plan was for three 16-core nodes, until we realized it should really be 4 nodes. So if we drop to 12 -core nodes we can either choose a pathetically weak processors, unnecessarily powerful and expensive CPUs, or a single 12-core CPU.

The 12-core CPU looks like the most practical option, but a single CPU VMware node feels like a bad idea. Will it be able to handle all the PCIe devices we need. At least Gartner considers 1-CPU a nifty trick for budget conscious CIOs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The answer is always lol oracle

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

evil_bunnY posted:

The answer is always lol oracle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Agrikk posted:

Be ready for many of those windows VMs to want to reboot shortly after migration as they install new opcode