Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Passed the VCP510 on the first try... I will say having never touched FC/FCoE or any Enterprise Plus features before puts you at a bit of a disadvantage, though.

Also, VMware likes to ask really stupid, pointless questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Mierdaan posted:

Also, VMware likes to ask really stupid, pointless questions.
Which is to say anything that isn't about ESXi, vCenter and possibly SRM.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I wanted to say this in the working in IT thread, because I think it's how they work after reading on it for a little bit, but I am not 100% sure so I want to ask people who actually know things and don't just pretend they do like myself.

With snapshots, the reason they grow out of control quickly if you have more than one is because each additional snapshot contains its own changes in addition to previous snapshots, correct?

- Take snapshot A, which then starts growing with changes to the VM.
- Take snapshot B, which then starts growing with changes to the VM plus the changes in snapshot A.
- Snapshot C contains changes to the VM, so snapshot A + B + C.

And so on, recursively.

I mean, obviously just don't take a snapshot of a friggin snapshot, but I'm interested in the implementation. I think each snapshot contains the changes since the last consolidation, whether it's a snapshot of a snapshot or not. Is this correct?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Check out the "How do snapshots work?" and "Child disks and disk usage" sections of this page.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I was recently told to build a wish list of changes for my office and one of them (in a long list) is to upgrade the vCenter cluster we run. Right now it runs two nodes (both active) and stores VMs on iSCSI LUNs held on a QNAP 459U. The first thing I am going to do is get rid of the lovely Trendnet 8-port GigE switch the cluster is using in favor of something else (potentially two switches in HA).

The other thing I want to do is HA the storage. Problem being, QNAP doesn't support iSCSI replication to another QNAP unit without taking the LUN offline. DRBD isn't supported on the units yet, nor does there appear to be plans to put in any kind of HA features in the immediate future.

Is there a cheap(ish) rackmount NAS device that can replicate iSCSI LUNs (in realtime as changes are made or daily at a scheduled time) between two identical units? Ideally, they'd have two (or more) GigE ports. The QNAP unit cost me ~$2000 for 4TB in RAID5 with a hot spare, for an example of the price point I'm looking at. I'm going to post this in the NAS thread as well. Thanks.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I just added another 6 gigs of ram into my desktop and I'd like to run a Centos VM off of it to do some web development on. Are we allowed to talk about Virtualbox in this thread or is it generally shunned upon? I read the OP but not many pages after that and there aren't many mentions of it.

My basic question is, my first night of tinkering around I got things working. The VM even had access to the internet. I had given the box a static IP. The next night after restarting my computer, the VM no longer had internet access. Attempting to ping google.com resulted in nothing. What's weird is the VM was still showing up correctly in my router's listing of connected devices. Anyone have any experiences like that? My desktop is running Windows 7 64bit.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 22, 2012

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Nothing wrong with talking about Virtualbox. Can you ping the VM from the host OS? Can you ping the host from the VM? Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from the VM? If any of those answers are yes, it's less of a virtualization problem and more of a basic networking problem (probably). If the answers are specifically no, no, yes, then it's more of a virtualization problem (NAT instead of bridged connection, wrong DNS settings).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've had weird issues where if I have the VM on dhcp, it will change addresses on me for what seems like no reason.

Since it's a desktop, just set it up as bridged mode and give it a static IP. If it were a laptop I'd put it on NAT mode since you'd be moving around and being on different networks.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

on dhcp, it will change addresses on me

Isn't that kind of inherent in DHCP? Unless you set up a reservation you aren't guaranteed to get the same address when your lease expires even if it's available.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I had it set up with bridged mode and the static IP. I'll try those two cases when I get home from work. I'd really like this to work as I'm pretty close to just buying the hardware for my own physical mini webserver. I just found it odd that it wouldn't work the next day.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 22, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Pvt. Public posted:

Is there a cheap(ish) rackmount NAS device that can replicate iSCSI LUNs (in realtime as changes are made or daily at a scheduled time) between two identical units? Ideally, they'd have two (or more) GigE ports. The QNAP unit cost me ~$2000 for 4TB in RAID5 with a hot spare, for an example of the price point I'm looking at. I'm going to post this in the NAS thread as well. Thanks.
Check out a Buffalo terastation III, we just picked up a few, with 4x3TB drives, 2 GigE ports, and it's gonna be right at $2000. It supports iSCSI - I can't speak to replicating in real time but it is a VMware supported partner so I'm going to guess that if you can think of it, then, probably.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Erwin posted:

Nothing wrong with talking about Virtualbox. Can you ping the VM from the host OS? Can you ping the host from the VM? Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from the VM? If any of those answers are yes, it's less of a virtualization problem and more of a basic networking problem (probably). If the answers are specifically no, no, yes, then it's more of a virtualization problem (NAT instead of bridged connection, wrong DNS settings).

It was a networking issue! Thanks :)

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 23, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Docjowles posted:

Isn't that kind of inherent in DHCP? Unless you set up a reservation you aren't guaranteed to get the same address when your lease expires even if it's available.

I mean like in 5-10 minute intervals. I'd install a web server and then make some changes to HTML files and then after I'd edit another file, the web server wasn't responsive and the VM had changed IP's.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.
I don't know if this has been posted yet... but today I stumbled across a post on how to disable SSL for standalone converter 5. My block level p2v conversion times have easily been cut in half just by disabling SSL.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

warning posted:

I don't know if this has been posted yet... but today I stumbled across a post on how to disable SSL for standalone converter 5. My block level p2v conversion times have easily been cut in half just by disabling SSL.

I'd guess encryption renders compression useless

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Has anyone experienced weird mouse issues on VMware Workstation 8 running on linux host? Ever since I changed my video card from an Nvidia 550 Ti to an AMD 7970 the mouse has slowed down and stuttered when crossing in to and out of the guest's display. I've observed it with Windows XP, Windows 7, and Ubuntu 12.04 guests, and haven't observed it not happening with anything yet. I tried re-installing the VMware Tools on the Windows XP guest, as suggested by a number of articles online, but it did not do anything. Messing with guest hardware acceleration levels stops the seamless mouse transition from working and thus isn't an acceptable fix. Host linux is Fedora 17, using catalyst drivers from RPM fusion. Any ideas?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

For anyone who's missed it:

http://www.crn.com/news/cloud/240005840/vmware-kills-vram-licensing-will-focus-on-vsphere-cloud-bundles.htm

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What in the gently caress. So what do we pay for now? Just X per CPU? Is there going to be a core limit on CPUs?

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

What in the gently caress. So what do we pay for now? Just X per CPU? Is there going to be a core limit on CPUs?

It'll all be public on Monday, but I'd imagine we'll get something like Standard / Enterprise / Enterprise Plus tiers, with different feature sets and supported maximums.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

They've been marketing the poo poo out of the "Big Announcement" on Monday at VMWorld, and they want everyone to watch the live stream! I loving hate when companies do that poo poo. You're not Apple.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just one more thing...

ESXi for ARM! Now you can run ESXi on all your mobile devices!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Just one more thing...

Also you must submit every VM you run to the VMware App Store for approval before it can boot.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 23, 2012

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Just one more thing...

Don't even say this. My CEO will see that it is "A thing" and I'll have to spend a month trying to shoehorn our primary ERP application onto his smartphone for redundancy.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I can finally upgrade to 5!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

God Bless America and the defeat of the Axis of Memory Limits.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Moey posted:

I kinda liked vRAM entitlements in that they gave me an easy way to explain to my boss why we needed Enterprise licensing. "We'll waste 1/3rd of our RAM!" was an easier sell than "I really want svMotion so I don't have to work on weekends as much!"

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Is it ok for me to now say that a lot of engineers at VMware were really pissed off by the vRAM licensing? It's wasn't just the customers.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Oh, new Workstation and Fusion are out.
WS9: http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/overview.html
Fusion 5: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html

edit:
Hmm, Fusion 5 Pro: http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop_virtualization/fusion/professional.html
I didn't know about that happening.

DevNull fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 23, 2012

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

I'm a little mad about that. I personally bought WS8 only 6 months ago and it's not eligible for a free upgrade.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

DevNull posted:

Is it ok for me to now say that a lot of engineers at VMware were really pissed off by the vRAM licensing? It's wasn't just the customers.

I think we all read between the lines a year ago when you said the change was made by the salespeople ;)

BnT posted:

I'm a little mad about that. I personally bought WS8 only 6 months ago and it's not eligible for a free upgrade.
It's eligible if you bought it after August 1st 2012. So no, you're SOL... but my new license is eligible for an upgrade :smug:

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 23, 2012

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

I kinda liked vRAM entitlements in that they gave me an easy way to explain to my boss why we needed Enterprise licensing. "We'll waste 1/3rd of our RAM!" was an easier sell than "I really want svMotion so I don't have to work on weekends as much!"

I am told we will be upgrading to at least Enterprise eventually, if not Enterprise Plus. I am not holding my breath.

BnT posted:

My copy was purchased in June :(

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

BnT posted:

That sucks. :(

If you upgrade now, you should be good for basically 2 years though. WS is a pretty reliable schedule of once a year. So odd years, you have a free upgrade of an x.5 release. Even years you have the paid upgrade with a new version number. Follow the beta a little and you can tell about when they will come out. I can't really tell people when exactly when individual releases will happen.

edit: ESX is on a pretty regular schedule too. Don't ask about 4.0 though.

DevNull fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 23, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

You pay per socket now, and each socket license entitles you to an amount of vRAM usage. It's retarded.

BnT posted:

I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade?

Mierdaan posted:

Totally guilty of doing that too :shobon:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 23, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

evil_bunnY posted:

You pay per socket now, and each socket license entitles you to an amount of vRAM usage. It's retarded.

I meant "now" as in going forward with 5.1, not this exact instance now. I'm well aware of the pricing now, I'm just trying to think back to 4.0. Wasn't there a core limit per CPU or something?

I guess we'll just have to wait until Monday.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Moey posted:

Same here. Also I now have a case for adding more memory cluster-wide. We had Enterprise Plus already, so the 96GB limit was a kick in the balls if I ever wanted to upgrade past the cheap 72GB on a DL360 (or slightly more expensive 96GB).

vvvv If it was me I'd be kicking my sales rep instead vvvv

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 23, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Have to wonder if anyone actually bought the ~21 Enterprise Plus CPU licenses for their 2TB hosts and is kicking themselves now...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mierdaan posted:

Have to wonder if anyone actually bought the ~21 Enterprise Plus CPU licenses for their 2TB hosts and is kicking themselves now...

Someone in this situation will get taken care of I'm sure.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
VMware vSphere 5.1 to include shared-nothing live migration (scroll down for the actual article)
Shared-nothing migrations? Sounds good to me.

Has anyone used Avamar to know if it's a step up from VDR? I'm going to assume just about anything's a step up from VDR.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

VMware vSphere 5.1 to include shared-nothing live migration[/url] (scroll down for the actual article)
Shared-nothing migrations? Sounds good to me.

This is pretty neat. I am interested to see how they end up handling it on the back end. Also interested in what licensing level you need to utilize it.

VVVV: That is what I figured, but can't I still have hope? :ohdear:

Moey fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Moey posted:

Also interested in what licensing level you need to utilize it.
It's always Ent+