Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Is anyone using Veeam to backup to AWS storage? We're looking into the AWS storage gateway in VTL mode, just curious what kind of performance people have run into. I found a lot of talk online regarding it but not much in the way of first-hand experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

VMware leaked their AWS partnership announcement a little early: https://webcache.googleusercontent....n&ct=clnk&gl=us

I was googling to find when the press conf was scheduled and a link to their blog showed up! Thankfully google cache grabbed a copy.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Not sure if this is the right thread for Horizon stuff, but is anyone else running into this issue with Horizon View 7.1 dedicated linked-clones with persistent disks and Windows 10 v1607? There is a bug where the start menu just doesn't work, most likely due to some file(s) that is being redirected to the persistent disk. VMware acknowledges the bug in this release but the tech I talked to said he isn't privy to any info regarding a patch coming down the line aside from a release date of 'this year'.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Holy poo poo, I was looking forward to playing with it but not with those prices!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Posting in this thread because its such a weird situation so I'm just hoping someone can confirm or deny that this is the worst idea ever.

We have a handful of overseas developers using Visual Studio and a few other dev programs inside of a Windows 10 Horizon View pool I had setup at the request of a previous boss. Those devs are going to need to start using Docker for Windows as well, so I am testing a deployment in another pool to see how it will run (hint: it's bad).

We have a pretty basic setup with each user having a single writable app volume for all of the data/software activation/whatever they would happen to change locally. Everything else is baked into the master VM.

Has anyone delt with this or anything similar? At this point I'm looking into a manual pool with assigned virtual or even physical desktops because the performance is so bad and the use of writable volumes has introduced a ton of small quirks with logging on/off.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

What kind of storage is backing app volumes, and where is docker actually running?

Linked clones? Jmp?

I have a tendency to be immediately suspicious of storage when there are vdi complaints. Got protocol fulfillment latency data on the datastore backing the clones and the apps?

Everything is on vSAN. And docker is running via nested virt in the linked clones themselves. The vSAN storage is limited to Horizon workloads. I’m not saying it’s a storage problem, I’m just curious if there are any options aside from throwing a ton of memory and vCPU at each clone.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Our SAN is going EOL so I'm trying to price out some solutions. Dell is trying to pitch me a 4-node VxRAIL setup that has 4x 4TB 7.2k disks along with a SSD cache disk in each node. Does this seem, uhh, bad to anyone else? Is there any good reason they're trying to pitch me 7.2k disks in TYOOL 2018?

Our current VMware environment is 4x newish HPE hosts and a v7000 SAN with like 17TB of space, with a number of 15k disks reserved for MSSQL DBs.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Thanks for the feedback buys, I also have calls with Starwind, Tegile, and CDW (our usual VAR) on a few of the storage products they are offering. Our HPE hosts are only a year old (compared to ~7 for the SAN) otherwise we could probably swing throwing more money at a hyper converged solution.

My managers concern with getting another SAN is the upside-down pyramid we get with all of our data sitting on this one appliance, no matter how much redundancy is built into the unit itself. It's been a while since I've looked at the current technologies but it seems there are some solutions out there to alleviate this without breaking the bank.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

It shouldn't, all that data should also be sitting on whatever you're using for backups

Oh you mean our tapes that live at Iron Mountain? :negative:

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

All your equipment is probably sitting in one room which is a more likely failure domain than a storage array. Even “shared nothing” distributed storage systems like Starwind, VSAN, etc can still fail globally via bugs in the data or control plane, network outages, etc...

Modern arrays are build to provide five-to-six nines of availability. Unless you’re a hospital or financial institution that’s probably plenty and you probably don’t have the budget to purchase a solution that can tear that number.

Talk to Pure or Nimble. Tegile is ZFS with a new coat of paint and developers that don’t know what they’re doing. Starwind has like a dozen customers.

I agree with this, my manager is the one obsessed with a second unit but I think I can dissuade him. That money would be better spent modernizing our backup/retention process.

CDW is our POC for Nimble and Tegile, so we will see what they come up with. I’ve seen only good things about Tegile pricing and performance, but maybe they have a good guerrilla marketing team.

Edit: oh god, S.A.M from spiceworks? It’s a good possibility that’s where he got the idea.

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 4, 2018

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Are these Pure arrays hybrid or all-flash? Due to our budget we would most likely be looking to hybrid to meet our capacity needs.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I’m in the process of planning out a 6.0 vCenter windows server to VCSA migration. What’s the best current release of vCenter 6.5 to move to? I’ve read that the newer releases don’t currently have migration paths to 6.7, which is a bit disconcerting.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

So I have a little issue with a powercli script I'm creating to help our vm deployment process.

In one of the steps I am having the user input the name of the port group to set on the newly created VM.

Get-VM $vmname | Get-NetworkAdapter | Set-NetworkAdapter -Portgroup $vmnetwork -Confirm:$false

The issue is that we do not have distributed switches, so we have these port groups created identically on all 4 hosts in the cluster. So if I specify 'VLAN4' it responds with: The specified parameter 'Portgroup' expects a single value, but your name criteria 'PCI' corresponds to multiple values. because obviously, there are 4 instances of the 'VLAN4' port group in the cluster/

What's the best way to have it just pick that port group from one of the hosts at random? Or even set it to just pick the port group from one of the hosts only?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I ended up finding the problem but now I'm running into another issue joining the domain with an invoke-vmscript command so I'll be dealing with that monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

This is essentially what I am trying to run to get the new VM joined to the domain:

$domainAdminCredentials = (Get-Credential)
$script="Add-Computer -Domainname domain.net -Credential $cred -restart -force"
$GuestCredential = (Get-Credential)
Invoke-VMScript -VM $targetvm -ScriptText $script -GuestCredential $GuestCredential

I am running into an issue where after executing the terminal just sits there processing forever until I ctrl+c. Connecting into the remote console of the VM I am unable to find anything taking place. Any thoughts on this? Running the add-computer command in the VM itself works without a problem.