Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

You can get vCentre 5.0 as a virtual appliance now however there are some limitations to it (Off the top of my head: can only use it's embedded database, doesn't support Linked Mode configuration, doesn't support IPv6).

On the subject of vSphere 5.0 has anyone had any issues with VAAI (Now known as "Storage APIs - Array Integration" which sounds a lot lamer)? I am currently managing a large-ish environment (5 hosts/65 VMs) backed by an IBM V7000 SAN which supports full hardware acceleration and so far it has been nothing short of amazing. With the hosts utlising the full-copy and block zeroing array operations I can deploy a VM from a 50GB template in under 45 seconds.

Can anyone else provide any other anecdotes re VAAI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

What's the price like on these?

Looking at some recent quotes that have come across my desk a 2.5" form-factor, 8Gb FC control enclosure with 24 x 600GB 10k 6Gb SAS HDDs will set you back around $120k ($60k for the enclosure and around $2.6k per HDD). Of course that is retail pricing, IBM Special Bid pricing can be much better. Not to sound like an IBM shill or anything but I can say the V7000 scales up ridiculously and no matter how much I/O I throw at it the thing just keeps on chugging.

Edit: just want to stress that the prices I've given above are retail prices, not partner pricing.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 29, 2012

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Bitch Stewie posted:

From what I saw the biggest ball ache is that it doesn't include VUM.

Well the virtual appliance was never really designed as an "all-in-one" kinda deal so I'm not surprised that VUM isn't included.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Quick question: does anyone know if Veeam FastSCP supports ESXi 5.0u1? It doesn't say anywhere on the Veeam website and I'm pretty sure that last time I tried it I had issues but I'm in a bit of a bind at the moment and really need to pull these VMDKs off of these datastores quicker.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Syano posted:

A step in the right direction would be correcting the errors in the OP

Seconding this. A simple cleanup would be a good start.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Noghri_ViR posted:

Just got approval on Thursday to head to VMWorld at the end of August. Anyone else going? It's going to be my first time there so I'm not sure what to expect.

I am disappointed that the Giants are out of town all week long :(

I'm not going but I wish I was. I've just had a quick look at the sessions on the website and they look pretty interesting. Do you know which ones you are planning on seeing?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Noghri_ViR posted:

Yep, I took the time to play around with the schedule builder this morning:

I think my brain will be adequately fried by Thursday afternoon.

That looks awesome, especially the sessions on virtualising AD, MS SQL and Exchange. I've never really looked into the intricacies of virtualising specific applications which is because I've never really worked with them on a scale that would necessitate those kind of considerations.

Are you also going to take some time to have a look at some of the sponsors exhibitions? I'd personally love to see what Brocade are showing off (Most likely the latest iteration of their Ethernet Fabric tech).

If only they held VMworld in Australia instead of just Barcelona and San Fran :sigh:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

underlig posted:

Can anyone guess why my host-attached storage is so slow in esxi5?

I'm running on an old IBM x3650 (m0) with two 146GB sas-drives in raid1 (i think). 24GB ram, only one Xeon E5345@2.33GHz-cpu. The storage adapter is an ServeRAID 8k/8k-l8. Esxi runs from usb-stick.

What firmware is the ServeRAID adapter running? I've encountered multiple issues with ServeRAID 8k adapters in the past which were resolved by upgrading the firmware. Also there is a known issue with the SAS-expander backplane on the x3650s although that is only supposed to affect SATA HDDs.

Just make a bootable update disk with IBM BoMC and use that to update the firmware of all components.

Edit: I've just noticed that you might need to use v3.00 of BoMC as they seem to have discontinued support for all M0 System x servers in the newer versions.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

luminalflux posted:

At what point do I actually need to upgrade from SQL Server Express to SQL Server for vCenter? Currently we're running Express 2005 for 4 hosts and 150 VMs with about 2GB data. I'm looking at upgrading to 5.0, but i need to upgrade to 2008 first and the document says I shouldn't use Express after I exceed either 5 hosts, 4GB or 50 VMs :ohdear:

Off the top of my head the only real limitation with using SQL Server Express is the maximum database size which used to be 4GB however in SQL Server Express 2008 R2 it was upped to 10GB and I'm pretty sure that that is the version bundled with vCentre 5.x.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Depends how much logging you do, reducing you logging might slow down how fast it fills up. Transactions like vMotion and constant reconfiguration of each VM store a log in sql express.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7593
You can use SQL studio manager to manage the database.

Just remember if your SQL express fills expect a vCenter crash. If you can't afford SQL then you might want to get 2008 r2, which has a DB max size of 10GB instead of 4 like 2005 has.

I am 99% sure it upgrades the DB to 2008 with vCenter 5, but I could be wrong on that.

I was involved in an incident some time ago where one of my former colleagues deployed a SAN, three ESXi 4.1 hosts and vCentre with SQL Express 2005 for a customer. This guy was always known for cutting corners and it turned out that he never setup e-mail alerts on the SAN or in vCentre so that if something went to poo poo, and it did, we wouldn't know about it.

Six months after he deployed the gear two HDDs in a RAID5 array on the SAN died which caused an entire LUN, holding a VMFS datastore, to go offline. Because this guy never setup alerts we only found out about it three months after the fact (Amazingly the VMs on that datastore weren't in production so the customer was none the wiser). Anyway by the time we got to it the vCentre database on the SQL Express 2005 instance was absolutely chockers and none of the vCentre services could be started.

One of my other colleagues was tasked with cleaning up the entire mess and he spent about half a day trying to resurrect vCentre. I told him to just give up, nuke it and reinstall however he perservered and after running some delete queries against a few tables followed by a shrink of the database he got vCentre working again.

So I guess the moral of the story is that for an environment with three hosts and 5-7 something VMs a 4GB vCentre DB size limit is fine. Oh and alerts on everything and gently caress people who don't do their job properly.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

I find that nobody really understands Kerberos, and that PTRs are necessary to securely verify the identity of any given client or server in a SSO setting.

You really should have dynamic DNS running, whether through dhcpd+BIND or AD doing the same thing.
SSO is the last thing to tack onto a complete network, and it's not anywhere near complete if you don't have DNS and DHCP working hand in hand.

This a million times this. I'm constantly encountering Windows domain environments where dynamic DNS registration hasn't been enabled on the DHCP server and/or there is no reverse lookup zone on the AD-integrated DNS server.

Of course even if you have everything setup properly all it takes is for some idiot to change and not update the password of the account that the DHCP server uses to bind to the DNS server...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Misogynist posted:

:raise:

Dynamic updates should be going over GSS-TSIG using a keytab file. Why are passwords involved?

Sorry I should have clarified that I was talking about a Windows Server based DHCP and DNS server.

When you setup a Windows DHCP server that will perform secure dynamic DNS registration against a DNS server you have to provide the DHCP server with the credentials of a domain user account that is a member of the DnsUpdateProxy group (Example here).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

So I've just remembered an annoying task that I had to occasionally do at my previous employer and I'm wondering if there is a quicker way to do it.

We were running an ESXi 5.0 cluster with storage being provided by an IBM V7000 SAN. The whitepapers and documentation from IBM advised that the recommended pathing policy that should be used by ESXi hosts when accessing LUNs on the V7000 is Round Robin. However whenever a host discovered a new LUN the pathing policy would default to MRU.

This meant that whenever I created new LUNs I had to manually change the pathing policy for that LUN on each host which could see it. Also if I added a new host to the cluster I had to go through each LUN that the new host could see and change the pathing policy.

Doing this via the vSphere Client quickly became a time consuming process so I'm wondering is there an easier way I could have done it?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

GrandMaster posted:

Yep, powercli.
I modified another script that rescanned datastores on all hosts to change all luns to round robin.

complex posted:

Change the PSP for the VMW_SATP_SVC SATP from VMW_PSP_FIXED to VMW_PSP_RR. See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1017760 This will fix it for all future datastores.

Those are both excellent suggestions! GrandMaster: am I correct in assuming that the PowerCLI script you posted would change the pathing policy for all LUNs on a host?

The cluster we were running also utilised storage on a DS3300 which was connected via iSCSI (The V7000 was connected via FC). The DS3300 only supported the MRU pathing policy so if line 27 of your script was replaced with the following it will only target LUNs on FC HBAs (I think...it's been a while since I've worked with PowerShell/PowerCLI):

code:
$hba = Get-VMHost | Get-VMHostHba -Type FibreChannel
Get-ScsiLun -Hba $hba -LunType "disk" | where {$_.MultipathPolicy –ne "RoundRobin"} | Set-ScsiLun -MultipathPolicy "RoundRobin"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pathing policies are set at the host level, not the cluster level. It looks like the script can detect whether it is being run against a single host or a cluster (container) based on the parameters passed to the script.

Also it processes the LUNs one host at a time (That's what the foreach loop in the RescanHBA function is for). It wouldn't be hard to change what it targets, you'd only have to modify line 27.

complex's recommendation of changing the default PSP for a specific SATP is probably the best way to go when deploying hosts however that script is still useful if you ever encounter a misconfigured environment and have to perform bulk changes.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

The first of two, of many servers to come, came in for projects in 2013.

Thus begins the start of the new financial quarter, and loads of work. Thankfully the M3's are so horrendously slow at boot as the M2's were.

I really wish we had a Server Thread.

Are those one of them Cisco UCS servers (I can barely make out what looks like a Cisco logo on the left bracket of each server)? They look strikingly similar to IBM System x rack-mount servers, including the hexagonal vent holes which I'm pretty sure IBM has some stupid patent on.

Oh and yeah a server thread would be awesome, I'd gladly contribute a ton of info on the IBM side of things.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

adorai posted:

Yes those are rack mount Cisco UC's servers. If you have a relationship with your Cisco account rep you can just threaten to buy HP instead and they have a lot of room on the price.

Haha yeah vendor "special bid prices" are the best. I was once involved in a refresh project for a customer that had an existing HP+EMC infrastructure. We put together a quote for a dual-datacentre build with purely IBM hardware. The quote ended up being just under $2mil RRP however after sending it off to IBM they knocked it down to $600k just so they could steal business from HP+EMC!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Fancy_Lad posted:

It looks like we are going to evaluate 2012 Hyper-V as a possible/probable replacement for our XenServer workloads in a month or two.

Are there any good "Hyper-V for a vSphere/XenServer admin" type materials out there? Any recommendations on RSS feeds or whatnot?

I've been out of the Windows Server admin world for a few years now, but the good news is I have been trying to keep my Powershell fairly sharp - this ought to be fun :)

Are you familiar with managing Windows Server Core? If not then that would definitely be a good place to start (Unless you intend on running HyperV on normal Windows Server hosts).

Also out of interest what workloads are your XenServer hosts handling at the moment (Just curious as there's very little XenServer talk in this thread)?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Just pinging back about a server thread as it is slow today, I'll tackle UCS is others want to tackle something else. I think it could be pretty useful for some of the drivers, bugs, and zany poo poo people see.

As I mentioned earlier I'd be more than happy to contribute info on the IBM side of things, specifically with System x servers and BladeCentre chassis/servers/modules.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Fancy_Lad posted:

Assuming license costs don't come into the picture (University with a site-wide MS license - part of the push here), is a server core installation worth the added hurdles on the management end?

Server Core has a lot less overhead compared to a normal Windows Server install so ideally your HyperV hosts should be running Server Core. Management wise there is really no difference. All you really have to do is configure the hosts for remote management and then you can just use RSAT.

AFAIK Server Core isn't licensed any differently than Windows Server Standard/Datacentre.

Fancy_Lad posted:

To be honest, XenServer has enough stupid quirks that I'm cautiously optimistic about the change. Mostly likely I'll just get to start bitching about stupid Microsoft quirks instead tho :toot:

Don't get me started on XenServer quirks. I was once stuck in the office till 4:00AM due to a XenServer cluster deciding to play silly buggers...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

DevNull posted:

Yesterday we were cleaning out a guys office that left after being with the company for 10 years. We found this in a box. Anyone know the hardware requirements for installing it?

Hardware requirements? Just virtualise it! :science:

Edit: on a more serious note is there any consensus on whether it is a good/bad practice to defragment the contents of a VMDK via the VMs guest OS (i.e. running defrag.exe on Windows Server which is running within a VM)? With normal HDDs (non-SSD) the effectiveness of defragmenting the disk depends upon the OS being aware of the disk geometry. Does the I/O virtualisation layer of ESXi present storage to VMs in such a fashion that the installed guest OS is aware of the disk geometry? I know there are some instances where defragmentation should be avoided (For instance when using SAN devices which utilise block-level copy-on-write snapshotting) but those instances aside what is the rule of thumb?

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 16, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

movax posted:

Being noobish but I'll just bump this for an answer to note 1.

Also I'm doing lazy zero thin provisioning on my low-usage VMs, but will use eager zero thick provisioning for the heavier ones. This seems to make sense to me :frogbon:

If I'm understanding your situation correctly (2 x 80GB SSDs formatted as VMFS datastores containing two VMs and 1 x 256GB SSD that needs to be provisioned exclusively to one of the VMs) then I don't see any issue with formatting it as a VMFS datastore, creating a VMDK on the datastore and then attaching it to the VM. Honestly it's been a while since I've had to work with DAS but that should work. Of course you may run into difficulties migrating/scaling out down the track.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm trying to use ESXI 5.1 to virtualize a couple of machines we use in our research lab. I've got two physical NICs. I originally put the management interface on vmnic2, using the IP 10.1.185.4, and everything is great. I wanted to add a VMKernel port so I can hook this up to our NAS with ISCSI. I add a VMKernel port to vmnic1 and connect using the IP 10.0.185.2. Suddenly my client loses connection, and I can no longer connect to the management interface at 10.1.185.4...but I can connect to 10.0.185.2.

Have I done something horribly wrong, or is it intended that this happen?

I suspect you've caused a routing issue by having two VMkernel ports with IP addresses in the same subnet attached to two separate vmnics. Can you login to the host via the service console or SSH and run the command "esxcfg-route -l" and then post the output?

Edit: Also ideally you should be segregating iSCSI traffic by having it on a desperate subnet and VLAN.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

:stare:

We're a small shop. I knew someone was going to blow my stats out of the water, and expected it really, but goddamn. Sadly I'm pretty sure that 32GB of ram maxes out this blade. The memory sites all say the blade supports 8GB sticks, so we might be able to do 64... but the actual manual for the blade says the most it supports is 8x4GB so we didn't want to risk it. I don't know how to figure out if we'd really work with 64 without blowing the money and trying it out. I'm afraid to call IBM because they'd probably just read the manual that I already read, and I'm afraid to trust the memory manufacturers because they just want to sell memory. :ohdear:

Meanwhile, I'm just glad we have plenty of room to spare now, and can install an Exchange 2010 VM without worrying about host swapping.

What model is the blade?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

talaena posted:

Quite probably a dumb question, but I've finally given up trying to figure out what I've missed. I P2V'd my work laptop using converter and dropped the file onto my home computer. I booted up w/ VMware Workstation just fine into Win7 once. I removed what physical devices I thought I saw and then rebooted. I cannot get back into normal mode but I can get into safe mode. I lock hard while booting into Win7, have to Reset power to get it back.

What devices did you remove following the initial successful boot?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Maybe a question out of left field, but do you guys think HP's Moonshot will have any significant effect on the virtualization world? It seems like the hardware is way too weak to do much consolidated virtualization. I mean I'm not sure how much you can throw on an Atom with 8 gigs of ram. I don't have too much info on what else will be available on the Moonshot platform though.

I gather that the point is that you can have like 70 blades per enclosure, so maybe you could have like 70 hypervisors with one or two VMs on each, depending on the application?

And I mean this is totally not a serious IT type question; I just wanted your guys opinion :)

From having a look at the Moonshot datasheet it sounds like it is geared towards running specialised applications/workloads which require significant levels of parallel processing across multiple nodes.

Each "ProLiant Moonshot Server" (Basically a blade for the Moonshot 1500 chassis) only has a single Intel Atom 2.0GHz CPU (With a tiny 1MB cache) and 8GB of RAM (1x8GB DIMM) so I really don't see it as being capable of virtualising anything significant.

Oh and according to the datasheet the Moonshot 1500 chassis takes up 4.3U :wtf:

hackedaccount posted:

I think their main selling point is power consumption. Less consumption means decreased energy bills from the servers themselves, decreased cooling costs, and less wear-and-tear on the server and hopefully a longer lifespan.

Yeah that's definitely the angle that they are pushing. Apparently the 1500 chassis runs off just two 1200W redundant hot-swap PSUs which is gently caress all when compared to something like an IBM BladeCentre E chassis which takes four 2320W redundant hot-swap PSUs.

Jesus, I'm starting to sound like a HP shill (I'm actually an IBM shill :)).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

talaena posted:

Can anyone point me to a resource for Cloud Director's network aspect? I am simply lost when it comes to Org's and their networks and routing through via vShield Manager.

In a nutshell, I want to deploy an AppDirector ovf (or any ovf, the process should? be the same) from Cloud Diretor and be able to access it on the same subnet. I've built the lab from scratch. I have vCenter on 10.1.1.5, vCD us on 10.1.1.8. I deployed the vShield Manager ovf from vCenter and it sits at 10.1.1.100. I have Cloud Director working to the point where I can deploy the AppDirector VM, pop out a console, and configure it's operational settings. The final step that is completely mystifying me is how to setup Cloud Director's Org network to allow me to ping 10.1.1.x; with x being the external IP for the AppDirector VM.

I assume I would be using a routed network, NATing 10.1.1.x into an internal IP address on the AppDirector VM of 192.168.1.y as an example. That part sort of makes sense. I imagine that's what I want, but I have no clue how to get to that point with Cloud Director. Networking is not my strong suite. I had to deploy an edge device and setup networking within Cloud Director; but it doesn't mean I did it right or understand what to do. I just typed in numbers to let the wizard finish. I'm one of those people...

When you say "external IP for the AppDirector VM" are you referring to a publicly-routable WAN IP address (E.g. 74.125.237.33)?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

talaena posted:

Not in this case. I was thinking, perhaps incorrectly, about a routed network within CLoud DIrector; where there is an internal IP for the VMs and "external" IPs that route through an edge gateway. That's about as well as I can explain it before my mind goes to mush. Perhaps I'm just thinking about this all wrong. I'm currently fighting with perl on an HP/UX 11i machine in the other window; so my brain is mush.

That's alright. Based on your first post I thought it was just a network configuration question however after reading up on vCloud Director (Which I'm honestly not familiar with) it seems a bit more complicated than that. I guess a good place to start would be with the vCloud Director Administrator's Guide, specifically this section.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

When working with IBM blades I used to just remotely mount the ISO via the AMM console and go from there :effort:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Depends. ESX5i got rid of the service console entirely. ESX4 still had it, while ESX4i did not. It should still be helpful though.

Sorry to be a pedantdickhead but you've mixed up the terminology: the Service Console is a feature of the ESX hypervisor architecture and is absent in the ESXi hypervisor architecture. vSphere 4.1 was the last iteration of VMware's virtualisation platform that included both architectures. vSphere 5.0 and up only include the ESXi hypervisor architecture.

Bottom line: ESX is dead, ESXi is the future (Until they find some way to replace it).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Moey posted:

Or they rename it...

I can see it now: VMware CloudVinfrastruXSi 6.0

Edit: if Citrix and VMware ever merged we will be doomed to live the rest of our lives in an ever changing nomenclature purgatory.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 26, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Misogynist posted:

VMware CloudVinfrastruXSi 2014*

Also the licensing levels are now "Super", "Super-Duper" and "Mega-Super-Duper" (With three additional "Enterprise" licensing sub-levels for each licensing level).

Edit: and it's no longer per-CPU licensing, it's per-DIMM.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Moey posted:

Why bother with static?

For some reason at my new job no one trusts dns. It makes me furious.

They probably mistrust DNS because they've never worked with an environment that was configured properly. Help them to redirect their anger away from DNS and towards the idiots who ignore best-practice.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Crackbone posted:

For a quick and dirty small-scale lab (like 4-5 machines tops), is there any reason Hyper-V on windows 8 Pro wouldn't work? All I really need is VMs and the ability to network those machines, and it looks like Win8Pro HV does that.

I use Hyper-V on my Win8 desktop at home as a lab and it works perfectly. If you are planning on running older Linux distros make sure that you select the legacy network adapter for the VM.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Not bashing hyper-v but any reason to go there over virtualbox?

Virtualbox is good but my reasoning was that Hyper-V is built in so less screwing around is required (Not that there's really any screwing around involved with setting up Virtualbox).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fougera posted:

I noticed a lot of complaints about Citrix's bugginess and wanted to hear more perspectives on Citrix vs. VMWare vs. Hyper-V. Do you think the bugs and learning curve for Citrix make the other brands a better option overall (understanding that it varies with use cases)? Are there certain things about Citrix you like that the others don't have? Apologies for being vague, I'm trying to learn more about the underlying technology and the business and would rather hear a CIO's/user's opinion rather than read some industry analyst's.

Last time I encountered Citrix XenServer was back in version 5.0 and it loving kept me at the office till 4:00AM (My dickhead ex-colleague did some R&D and apparently found that virtualised XenApp servers ran better on XenServer so he migrated our production farm to it and when it fell apart I had to deal with it).

So yeah, last time I used XenServer it was a POS. Of course that was ages ago, maybe they've improved things...

Edit: my apologies this post isn't really helpful. When I last used XenServer I found that it was really incomplete feature-wise when compared to vSphere. Also their way of handling HA masters/slaves is hosed (At least in version 5.0 it was).

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 18, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

XenServer 6.2.0 has been released and is now completely free and open-source (Unless you pay for support)! http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX137826

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

RAID 5 isn't without it's drawbacks. Look up at ZFS and L2ARC, its really great, an SSD is really worth it.

Not to mention most vendors are using a similar architect with SSD caching for a bunch of things. EMC has a nice pdf of how fast cache

IBM have a similar feature in the Storwize V7000: Easy Tier.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

VM newbie here, not sure if this is the right thread to ask because it seems like the VM discussed here is at the enterprise level...

... but anyway, i'm thinking of using virtualbox to do more secure browsing to avoid malware and other exploits. I'm running Windows 7 and want to use something like Ubunto on virtualbox. Will that give me reasonably good security? Also, would using lastpass in that VM environment pose a risk or is that ok?

Thanks!

Install Gentoo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I would google this but Google can't seem to differentiate between Windows Server 2012 with Hyper V and Windows Hyper V Server 2012

IIRC "Windows Hyper V Server 2012" is free product that is basically Windows Server 2012 Core with only the Hyper-V role (All other server roles such as AD DS are stripped out).

vvv Yeah that's what I meant by Core which has no GUI. vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 26, 2013