Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Is there any way to let the 5.5U2 intelligently determine what VMs need vFlash Read Cache most, or do I HAVE to create reservations manually for each of my VMs? I'm running an 80GB SSD VFRC for a 300GB datastore in one of my lab vhosts and I guess I'd rather not micromanage it but it's not a huge deal or anything.

Manually recreate without a wild card and nice naming convention....

Just wait 4 months if you want a global structure....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Are SAN firmware updates typically like other hardware?

You restart the device and boot into some kind of flash firmware mode from USB/CD and pray.

update a frimware that holds 25Mil worth of data.

Is that odd?

Internet Explorer posted:

As annoying as I find DaF's posting and as much as I appreciate NippleFloss's insight, I wouldn't call updating SAN firmware mundane and boring. Yeah, it mostly works, but lets be honest here who hasn't had a firmware upgrade blow up in their faces?

I have had EQL, EMC VNX, and HP LeftHand firmware upgrades all go south and cause unexpected downtime.

Hell, quite a while ago in this thread I was saying I update firmware on SANs I touch fairly often, and almost everyone else came out to say don't touch it if it isn't broken. If it is so easy / fail-proof, why was everyone voting for "don't touch it"?

I actually just got done installing the Dell OpenManage VIB on an ESXi 5.5 Update 1 host. Done it a million times. This server rebooted and couldn't find its hard drives. Had nothing to do with the VIB, but made my day longer than it should have been. Sometimes poo poo just breaks when you reboot it.

Walked in Monday to upgrade us ti 5.5 U2; kinda funny when dipshits are like "wow this is so hard and 'hur dur can't do it'. Just learn how to understand storage, network, and compute infrastructure...

It pisses me off when people say they have more than 5 people and run a 25K+ user environment and complain about poo poo...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 29, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

Jesus Christ stop bragging. I just setup 200 servers in 9 datacenters with 800 vms that monitor 4 million datapoints of all of the networking hardware for a multi billion dollar company. Yes that's with a B. It's backed on 5tb of San data and using luster for its rrd data.

I don't loving post every minuscule loving thing I do. You're not special. You're not some unique snowflake.

Also when we went public I tripped down on my stock and made more money than you can possibly hope to even retire on.

Shut the gently caress up DaF

Cool! sounds fun, what testing and other environmental challenges did you face?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wicaeed posted:

So I'm getting hands on Azure really for the first time today.

Apparently when mapping endpoints (firewall rules really) to VM's, you can only use single ports (no port ranges) and only up to 150 endpoints per a single VM.

What the gently caress Azure :psypop:

Don't worry AWS is much worse

I'll make a new VM and storage thread, then cya space cowboy...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 14, 2015

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

El_Matarife posted:

I'm running a VCAP-DTA (VCAP lab exam for desktop administration) study group this Thursday night so if anyone wants in, PM me. And I'd love presenters if anyone is interested in that.

I'm now a 3x VCAP- DCA DCD and DTD.

I tried to do something similar as a GUG's n poo poo, it failed horribly....

I found it better to just make poo poo loads of money and stuff. That's what SA told me I was wrong at, just should have focused on that all along I guess.

Also VCP6 I have worries about.... just eh....

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 21, 2015

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

So I know I asked about vShield in this thread before and got some good answers, but I was wondering if anyone has a specific AV product that works well for them. I need to get something in place and don't really have the time to do a ton of research. Anyone using something they like?

Use vFlash with vShield and you won't realize any storage hit

Mulloy posted:

Question, I'm looking at a brief network pause (3-4 seconds at most) on a virtualized server. About 30 seconds prior to the stream of communication errors I see a VMTools update which includes a couple messages about Network Configuration updates occurring. Is it possible for an update like this to cause a brief pause/interruption in network activity?

Edit: It did lay down some new NIC drivers, I just can't see a clear "the NIC itself restarted" within the OS and I do not have access to the Host, just the guest.

Are you using VMXnet?
Are you using vDS?
If VSS what is your fail-over/probing policy?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 25, 2015

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

I'm not worried about the storage hit. Just looking for advice on which vendor does a better job.

Trend probably has the best ratio for compute resources lost vs. infection detection.

The UI/vApp was pretty poo poo but it got a lot better in recent releases.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

stevewm posted:

I am trying to spec out a Hyper-V setup... Unfortunately I have low budget to work with. Max $6k USD, for everything. :(

I would like to virtualize and handful of machines, they are as follows:

1. Windows 2012r2 DC/DNS/DHCP/WSUS for Domain 1 (not the only DC for this domain)
2. Windows 2012r2 DC/DNS/DHCP/WSUS for Domain 2 (not the only DC for this domain either)
3. Windows 2012r2 Online secondary Root Cert authority/issuer/RADIUS
4. Windows 2003r2 running Sage accounting (will be decommissioned in a few months, hopefully!)
5. Ubuntu 14.04 webserver running Intranet/Wiki - low load, maybe 3-4 page requests per minute at peak.
6. Ubuntu 14.04 running Unifi WiFi controller
7. Ubuntu 14.04 running Zabbix monitoring
8. Ubuntu 14.04 running Greylog2 log storage

The Zabbix and Greylog2 VMs will likely have the highest utilization of all the VMs.

None of these machines are super mission critical, except for maybe the cert. authority. I also don't need much storage for each VM, except for the Greylog VM. Basically just enough to fit the guest OS, plus maybe a few GB more for each VM. That being said I would really like to have at least 2 hosts, and make use of Hyper-V replica for at least the Cert Authority machine.

My current thoughts are a pair of Lenovo TS140s, (Xeon E3 1225 v3), 32GB RAM each, with some Intel 730 SSDs for VM storage.

Am I going down the wrong path here? Something you would do different given the budget constraints? Please feel free to criticize, critique or provide recommendations.

Man if only VMware essentials plus and TPS was as thing!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

1000101 posted:

If you're lacking NSX then you just feed it a bunch of port-groups it can use off your VDS and it will behave liked VLAN backed networks. No fancy routers, no floating IPs. Basically behaves like you're using nova-network.

Yeah this is pretty much true, I became friends with VCDX 128 and some guy who works at nimble who wrote the VCDX and is like "dude you should work for X/Y/Z"

Might do so, these guys are smart. Maybe my opposition isn't worth to be thought agaisnt but they thought is interesting but whatever.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Looks like I am going to work with VMware or Nimble soon.

Fun fun fun!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

With or for?

for;

I mean losing 80 lbs and getting fit is cool and watching anime/cos-playing with coworkers is fun, but vendors have offered me some pretty heafty price tags at some pretty good poo poo. Just hope I can show up between 9-10:30

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

I assume you are looking at pre-sales "engineer" positions? Something tells me working on "your clock" isn't part of their business strategy.

I'm salary+(extra) and am justified of showing up between 9-10ish, because I don't want to. Like I am one of one Storage/vmware engineers in my company, and backup SQL/network.... I just don't choose to show up till I do and no one has told me otherwise.

No I am talking about actual implementation engineer.

loving latest patches have some bugs in the software iscsi blades anyone else having iscis timeouts on M1's with 5.1 U3?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

How fat were you to lose 80 lbs in 6 months?

I was 260 Jan 1st 2014, then I started to cut back on booze and work out a gently caress load. Dipped to 180 but for some reason I work out and drink milk and now am 6@190 and stuff. Just work out Sun-Thurs 35lbs dumbells and 3 miles of cardio!

poo poo owns at 6 and 32 waist, being fat sucks dick: get girls, get smart, make money!

also anime owns IT is cool but anime is p cool as well

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 15, 2015

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

How did you work out so much when you work 80 hour weeks?

Caffeine but eh mostly since i changed jobs I work ~50-60ish tops

Run 1.5 miles to work and back ~3 miles @ 280 cals, cut soda and cut to 1600 cals a day, buy 3lbs hand weights. Turn on the TV to some VMware videos and lift some 25 or 35lbs dumbells while listening to some Vmware videos, and if I didn't have poo poo to listen to then just work out watching anime!

That and I loving loving hitting the treadmill at Planetfitness watching anime, gently caress yeah love me some anime

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Work hours are pretty flexible at many orgs, but VMware may have morning standups or something.

Also, you may get a lot less leeway when if you end up at a company where almost every VMware person and storage person are also good, with a lot more experience, and "VMware/storage" guys are dime a dozen (which they are already)

If I have to show up on time I might stick where I am for another year till I can get a 30 minute buffer.

The way I was mentioned was "Look he is one of two people in the area we can get... we aren't letting him leave". But man UCS/Nexus/EMC is getting boring.... Anime/cosplay can only hold my out for so long....

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

gently caress off.

K. The problems in this IT forum are really boring anyways.

This subforum is getting super boring aside from anime anyways.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 15, 2015

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

You realize when you're an adult you have to show up to work on time?

I realize I am an adult, I realize I can make my own rules.

Also why the gently caress am I responding AND WHAT THE gently caress DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH VMWARE????

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 15, 2015

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
not anime

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DevNull posted:

If you really want an honest opinion where I don't hold back about life at VMware, PM me.

I might, the guy who put me in contact worked at vmware long enough to help make the VCDX program(and is helping me out a lot as well is #128). He was kind of impressed with my knowledge and I presented at a VMUG with him.

I'll hit you up if I need to.

E: actually Japan is really hiring hard for "cloud" people IDK what that means but drat I will take free housing n poo poo

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

That's an acknowledgment of their mediocrity, not of your achievement.

IDK they compare me to a VCDX, might be a backhanded complement though. not sure yet

cheese-cube posted:

Take your meds mate and stop posting-while-drinking.

Actually just stop posting.

I don't take meds other than caffine and creatine to work out on, but stopping posting in SH/SC is solid advice.