Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if it's possible to migrate auto deploy images and rules from one vcenter server to another? I was able to get the cache onto the new server with scp, though I suspect there's metadata in there somewhere linked to the old one. I've been tinkering around with the powercli cmdlets, and haven't been able to make much headway. Pulling rules off a server is easy enough, but one of the object's properties refers to the name of the original server, and is read-only. If you try to add it to server2, it'll bitch that the object exists on another server. Is there some other approach I can take, or am I out of luck?

e: I talked with the guy actually working with the client on this one, and there's only one software image and a handful of deployment rules. Even starting over it shouldn't take long to recreate everything from scratch.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wicaeed posted:

Kind of a broad question, but where's my best place to get started in getting my VCP?

I've been at my current job (heavy VMware environment, 90% virtualized) as the main VMware guy for about a year, and before that I worked in not-so-virtualized environments using VMware for 3-5 years.

I figure at this point I've got a decent amount of experience and wouldn't mind getting my VCP as I think my boss would pay for it.

Take a class then take the test, there's really not a lot more to it than that. I know that for vsphere 6 you have to take a fundamentals exam now too, but I'm not sure if that means the other exam is harder now. Mastering Vsphere was the go to text, but the author of the earlier editions was less involved in the newest one. Unless someone else disagrees i think I would still buy it and read through. If you've been using it for three years you should be able to get through the exam. Honestly the hardest part is convincing work to pay for the class.

PS get VMUG Advantage, it's like $100 for a year and gives you like a 25% discount on class fees.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Look into VMware Player too. It's basically a pared down Workstation, but it does USB passthrough. It's free for non-commercial use, but I'm not sure how they define that exactly. Lab machines might be kosher.