Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
Hopefully attempting to play a video game on a VM isn't taboo here. :ohdear:

On a more serious note, yesterday I got Virtualbox and set up two VMs, one with Win98SE (with SciTech Display Doctor 7.0) and the other one has WinXPSP3 for the purpose of playing a Japanese video game that was released in 1997 called Tales of the Float Land, which won't run in compatibility mode in Win10.

The issue I'm having is that the game is spitting out an error window which I can't see (nor would I be able to read what it says, as it would most likely be in Japanese) and I have no expertise in VMs whatsoever.

What I'm asking for is a sort of checklist of what I can check in my VMs' settings and gently caress around with without somehow rendering the VMs unusable. I'm also curious if I should use Virtualbox for that purpose.

Sorry if this seems like a :saddowns: request and thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine

Potato Salad posted:

Got windows 10?

Use hyper-v perhaps!

If you want to dick around with vm settings, go to where the vm is stored and grab a copy of its entire folder as a backup.

I tried getting Hyper-V to work, but it kept claiming the hypervisor feature is not running and I couldn't figure out where's the fuckup. Could it be my firewall settings? Somehow?

DevNull posted:

Both of those game should work in a VMware VM. The only place you will run into trouble is really modern games, because the performance will start to suck depending on the game.

I guess I'll try VMware next.

Thank you for the replies so far!

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
I should've mentioned I checked that already, as well as making the service active through Powershell.