Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m also not adverse to switching from VirtualBox to something else if the performance gain is trivially easy. Or also just switching from Windows 10 to 8.1 if that works out better too.

VirtualBox was a piece of poo poo. I was looking for AVX support and finally found a post on their forums. A dev was saying there was not gonna be AVX support unless a customer demanded and paid for it. gently caress Oracle. I switched to VMWare and it was so much better.

e: not familiar with the KVM user experience, but I bet it's better than gently caress Oracle's virtualbox.

karoshi fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

evol262 posted:

That's binary translation.

ARM hardware virt is essentially the same as it is on PPC or x86 -- it allows hypercalls. It is not an implementation of the x86 ISA. See here if you want an in-depth read.

Didn't ARM have to redesign it's virtualization ISA once because they went all ivory tower on it and it was useless in the real world?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

e ^^^: Saw some discussions on that on the ~riscuuuuu~ lists. They were going head first into the 1st option and had to be talked by some guy who knew wtf he was talking about into not doing an ARM.

quote is not edit, gently caress.

karoshi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 22, 2018