Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

big money big clit posted:

Rubrik is currently my favorite backup product out there. It's still somewhat limited though, and not cheap. VEEAM is great up to a certain size, but it has issues with scale and self-service/automation.

I agree 100% on both counts. We went from Veeam (which didn't scale for poo poo) to Rubrik and it's been fantastic.

devmd01 posted:

We're seriously looking at Cohesity to replace EMC Notworker the next fiscal year, anyone have experience with that in a mostly virtualized environment?

We will be migrating some workloads to the cloud within the next year, and we like everything about Cohesity so far.

Maybe worth looking at Rubrik too. Cohesity wasn't quite there yet when we ended up going Rubrik, but it certainly looked like a good solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

gallop w/a boner posted:

What is the best approach to encrypting VMs at rest? Environment is vSphere 5.5, guests are all Windows Server. Are people using Bitlocker on guest VMs?

I am aware that encryption at rest probably does not have a lot of real-world infosec value, however it's a client requirement.

Bitlocker on the VMWare side is technically not supported (by Microsoft) for boot volumes, although it is by VMWare. For 5.5 environments we've just generally pushed encryption at rest down to the storage layer.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone using vm encryption in 6.5+? Curious if anyone has any key management recommendations. We talked to HyTrust back in the day before this feature rolled out, so I’ll circle up with them but open to other suggestions.

We don’t have any key management deployed today.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Moey posted:

Does this make any difference? I have been under the impression there is zero performance difference.

There are both licensing and numa differences on how you present cores vs sockets to applications, although 6.5 does try and change this at least in regards to numa:

https://blogs.vmware.com/performance/2017/03/virtual-machine-vcpu-and-vnuma-rightsizing-rules-of-thumb.html

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 22, 2018

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone seeing weird performance/response issues with Windows Server 2016 guests on VMWare? In particular the UI seems laggy both through local console/RDP. Seems to be consistent regardless of what kind of hosts or storage things are on, resources assigned, hardware versions, vmware tools versions, virtual storage controllers/nics, etc.

I see threads about issues with Windows Server 2016 performance on ESXi 6.5 prior to U1, but we've updated past that point (although we're still on 6.5)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wibla posted:

Sigh, I need a compact esxi host with room for 4-6 3.5" drives and 16ish GB ram, but the microserver gen8 is out of production and the gen10 is apparently garbage?

We’ve been looking for this and haven’t found it, if you do stumble across something good, post it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wibla posted:

Yeah I already have a colocated DL360 G7 with dual X5675 CPUs and 120GB ram running most of the stuff that requires heavy lifting, and I'm keeping that system as-is.
I'm looking for something smaller that can do double duty as VM host + firewall + storage appliance in my apartment, preferably while being quiet :v:

That Xeon config is expensive as all hell, but the chassis is interesting, one of these would probably do the job: https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/midtower/5029/SYS-5029S-TN2.cfm

Yeah, the Gen8 Microservers were a screaming deal for what you got, we weren’t paying much more than this bare Supermicro for fully populated Microservers with 3 years HP on-site support and full iLo. Processor was weak, but did what we needed.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions instead of LoginVSI to look at for VDI load testing? It is crazy expensive and they aren’t interested in doing anything shorter than a 3 year subscription for us.

I have seen VMWare View Planner, but it doesn’t really seem like anyone uses that (including VMWare).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Liquidware Stratosphere UX or Lakeside Systrack

Thanks! Now just dealing with terrible sales people :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bad boys for life posted:

What are people doing for capacity planning for large vmware deployments? Vrops doesnt seem to scale to our infrastructure size. Getting recommendations to look at turbonomics and veaam one, but not sure if any of you have experience at SP level VMware deployments and have something better.

This seems like a fine question for an account manager/partner resources?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nohearum posted:

Some follow-up on my previous post. I had a bit more luck with Ubuntu in Hyper-V (I'm 90% satisfied with the performance), but it involved the following:

• Install from 20.04 Ubuntu iso (not the prebuilt images shown in Hyper-v quick start menu)
  • Run install.sh from this fork of the Microsoft linux-vm-tools that supports 20.04 (not sure why Microsoft hasn't pulled this yet): https://github.com/Hinara/linux-vm-tools
  • Enable enhanced session from Powershell admin: Set-VM -VMName namehere -EnhancedSessionTransportType HvSocket
  • Reboot windows machine

If you are successful you will be greeted with an xrdp login and a slider to specify the screen resolution for the VM

Just to be "that guy" have you looked at WSL2 as a comparison point?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My boss is pushing me to look at Cohesity. Anyone have experience with it? I don't trust small POCs when our big picture is several thousand VMs to back up.

Did you also look at Rubrik? They are one of the few vendors I have no issue 100% recommending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zorak of Michigan posted:

God save us all but OVM can actually solve licensing problems with Oracle RDBMS. It's one of the few on-prem solutions for which they allow sub-capacity licensing. I've pondered it but concluded that the extra time and energy spent dealing with it would exceed the the cost of just eating full capacity licensing.

You can also hire a firm to fight the oracle people in some kind of cage match situation which might also balance out $$$ wise, but yeah "this is the result of a licensing audit" is the only reason I've ever seen anyone using OVM.