Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

adorai posted:

So that's where you need a definition. to me, precise time is off by less than a second, whereas good enough to 99.9999% of the population is 30s off.

When trying to troubleshoot multi-system issues, being able to accurately compare logs and packet traces and the like and be sure of the order of events is pretty useful. And that generally means sub-second accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

I've been happy with my Supermicro SYS-5028D-TN4T with the Xeon D-1541 8-core processor for my home lab, but I valued quiet and low power (and ability to eventually upgrade to 128GB of RAM) over price.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Punkbob posted:

I’d argue that knowing the concepts behind virtualization is useful, but learning the nitty gritty of esxi is not useful. I would never hire someone who built a home lab to build out a VMware environment. Learning the nitty gritty of esxi is putting the cart before the horse. I’d be much more inclined to hire a sysadmin that got the concepts behind the workflows that it enables as well as having a strong background in being a server janitor. A home lab is a small bonus in an interview but it can also be a major turn off of a candidate if they don’t get “it”.

I can't imagine a scenario where having a home lab (be it physical hardware at home or a setup in a cloud service) would be a negative for me as an interviewer since it demonstrates at least some drive to learn outside of work/school environments. Even if I disagree with the relevance of what they're doing with the lab the existence of it isn't a negative.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you're looking to do a nested virtual lab the Supermicro Xeon D motherboard/SoC is the best bang for the buck.

I love mine and how quiet it is, but pricewise it's a much bigger hit than a Dell server off eBay.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Care to describe the alternative you're alluding to? All I did was google "Win 10 price" and saw Pro was $199.99.

96 Port Hub posted:

Well if you just want a VM host, Hyper-V core is free.

But if you just want a VM host for Linux guests you should probably just use kvm/virt-manager.

If you're still hoping to use the VM host as a windows workstation you should be able to find non-shady Win10 keys for less than that, and questionable keys for way less than that.

You said you're in tech, you can't get a volume license key from work? Learning hyper-v is a decent skill if you work in a windows shop, a cool boss would see that as a good return on the cost of a single license.

If he has Windows 7 which he says he has, the Windows 7 key will work fine for activating Windows 10. Microsoft said they were going to stop the free Win 7/8 -> 10 upgrades on 12/31/17, but it's still working from what I hear. They'll give you the flavor (Home vs Pro) as you have on Windows 7, so if you have Windows 7 Home you'll need to upgrade to Pro to use Hyper-V. Might be more cost efficient to just buy one of the Win 7 Pro codes BrownThunder is selling in SA-Mart for $25. I've bought two for setting up some Win 10 VMs and they've worked fine (though I did it before 12/31).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Does anyone know of any good courses on Udemy.com or Lynda.com (or similar) that are basically

Packt Publishing has a number of videos which can be purchased directly from them or are included with a Safari Books Online subscription (which is a great thing for people who need access to lots of IT books but might be overkill for tier 1 folks)