Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
A third vote of confidence for PHD Virtual. We use it at a few dozen clients, and we've been partners with them since their esXpress days. If you can't do SAN-level backups, then PHD Virtual is really the best game in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Just make sure that vSwitch0 is allowing promiscuous traffic (under the security tab - default is Reject).

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

IOwnCalculus posted:

Out of curiosity - what's the reasoning for this? I'm using a network configuration that looks effectively identical and I've never enabled promiscuous mode, yet it has no problems that I've encountered.

Promiscuous mode allows the VM to listen for all traffic on the vSwitch, including traffic not destined for it. It's a two-part process: you have to mark it as 'Accept' on the vSwitch security, and the guest has to put the NIC into promiscuous mode. I thought this had something to do with using multiple MAC addresses and firewalls doing VIP/MIP/port-forwarding, since I always have to turn it on when using virtual firewalls.

madsushi fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 30, 2013

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is there an easy way to check the block deltas for individual VMDKs or VMs on vSphere 4.1? Our storage guy is getting mad at me because our OS partition volume is generating a change delta (not growth) of 20% out of 850gb of deduped data every week or so and its annoying to replicate. He thinks it is being caused by the OS page files, but I an extremely suspicious of this because unless there is a huge amount of memory pressure causing hard faults the OS page file shouldn't be getting used much. Admittedly, our Exchange 2007 server isn't configured well and hard faults a lot because too much is being allocated to the store.exe process but that is getting fixed. And even with that in a worst-case it could only account for maybe 1/10 of the delta we are seeing.

If I can't narrow in down in the console then I think the next best thing I can do is link up a performance counter to all my VMs to track write activity to the C: drives to get an idea of which systems are causing it and pursue from there.

Someone gave me this same advice: turn on CBT (changed block tracking) for the suspect VMs, wait 24 hours, and then look at the size of the CBT files to see which VMs changed the most.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Syano posted:

Even if requisite infrastructure wasn't in play I bet you could still do it for a 3rd of that budget. Basic SMB virtualization is cheap as balls now. A Dell MD3200i fully pop'ed with 1TB disks, a pair of Cisco 2960s and 3 hosts, along with licensing should cost about 50 grand, give or take, these days. And it should be powerful enough to run any number of servers that an SMB should need. Even if your environment pushes some badass IOPs or has some sort of massive memory requirements you should be able to put together a crème de la crème environment for just around 6 figures.

For hardware, sure, but you forgot to include the $200k that they'll be paying a consultant to put it in.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Corvettefisher posted:

It's honestly pretty straight forward so long as you don't select simple install. Also put SSO in multi-site even if you are currently one site, there is no easy way to change it after you finish it out.

Replacing certs in 5.1 was a bit more tedious, but that tool looks pretty cool.

Yeah, as long as you don't choose the wizard (which should be the safest).
And as long as you choose multi-site (without being warned that you can't change later).
And as long as you don't change your RAM/CPU count after installing (or you'll break the Java thumbprint).
And as long as your password doesn't have a ! or \ or other character in it (since it passes the password via the command line).

The 5.1 upgrade process sucks hard unless you've been through it and figured out all the "gotchas". Enterprise-grade software should not be this difficult to install/upgrade. VMware messed up. Your software shouldn't have "traps" set up that people can fall into.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
16 under-powered CPUs and 128GB of RAM per U is not high-density, so it's clearly a power play (no hockey pun intended).

If it's 45-blades-per-4.3U, that's an even lower density. - 11 CPUs / 88GB of RAM per U.

madsushi fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 10, 2013

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

We can all be VMware course buddies!

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Our storage guy is reading some NetApp documentation that having our NFS volumes update the file last read access timestamps causes a performance hit and we would be better off without it. I'm concerned that the last read timestamp is somehow being used by the lock files and that making this change may cause that file locking to break and things to randomly start unmounting, but I can't find good documentation about how exactly VMware is handling the locking on NFS volumes besides references to a hidden .lck file. Does anyone have thoughts?

no_atime_update is a NetApp best practice for VMware and is automatically set if you create your datastores with the NetApp plugin for VMware (VSC - Virtual Storage Console). Will not cause any issues.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

Host running standard.

My old job just deployed a new nas and teamed together 4 connections on it.

I always have done multiplathing but they are currently going through a single switch.

Edit: Single switch because they sprung for 10GbE but don't see in spending the money for a second 10GbE switch for the storage network...

MPIO will ensure that you get an even distribution across all 4 of your links, while teaming might give you a bad split depending on your hashing algo. MPIO is worth it, in my opinion, since it's mostly set/forget. Also, it sets you up for the future when you might get access to another switch or a 10Gb switch, etc.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

demonachizer posted:

Are any of you running ESXi 5.1 on proliant servers? I am trying to install the Management Bundle and it is coming up with valid products of embeddedEsx 5.0.0 and 5.1.0. I am not running Embedded but I am hoping that there is some way to use update manager to deploy these tools anyway. I can't for the life of me find anything about this problem anywhere.

Essentially when I go to remediate there is nothing to remediate because I am not using embedded esxi. I don't have an external network connection on these so I have to use offline patches.

I run ESXi 5.1 on quite a few DL360s and DL380s (and blades). Typically I forget trying to install the management agents manually and just reinstall ESXi via the HP-branded ISO, which is now available directly from VMware.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?productId=285&downloadGroup=HP-ESXI-5.1.0-GA-10SEP2012

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

fougera posted:

It seems fair to say that there's no clear winner at this point and there's a lot of land grab to be had by Citrix or VM.

No, VMware has won the hypervisor battle, and has owned the market for some time. XenDesktop has is winning the VDI battle, but it's not a blowout. The difference is that VMware is actively pushing View and wants to see their VDI market share expand, while XenServer is probably a loss-leader for Citrix to get their XenApp/Desktop in the door. They'd rather see XA/XD on ESXi than lose a sale by forcing the issue. VMware, on the other hand, doesn't want their stuff running on anything but VMware (in their ideal world). XenServer is Citrix' play to make their XA/XD solution cheaper/easier.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
XenServer and XenCenter are both being open-sourced and are completely free, as of today:

http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2013/06/25/xenserver-org-and-the-xen-project/

Looks like Citrix' strategy to use XenServer as a loss-leader for XenDesktop is definitive, now.

Here's a great FAQ on the changes:

http://xenserver.org/discuss-virtualization/q-and-a/categories/listings/xenserver-org-launch.html

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
There's also now a lower-level VMWare cert (VCA) that you can take without having to go to any classes.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=41162&ui=www_cert

Although it is yet to be seen if the VCA is actually valuable or not.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

ghostinmyshell posted:

Okay guys you are being too positive here.

What are the negatives so far?

edit: Okay I'm reading about the VSAN and I see my boss already rubbing his hands together in an attempt to be even cheaper in our storage situation.

Please remember that vSAN is still in beta (per VMWare) so it's not exactly "production-ready" just yet.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Scan's and vShield re-scanning every file in the datastores, it effectively was DDOS'ing its data storage to oblivion.

Your storage vendor will tell you that you just need to buy their latest SAN to soak up all of those pesky IOPS!

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

FISHMANPET posted:

I just got a call from Stanly Community College, they're offering another class, and you have to register by tomorrow. So check your spam filters and don't automatically ignore a phone call from the 704 area code.

Ditto, just signed up via the form (that was marked as spam).

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

I am still surprised every day by how many "vmware engineers" still will not virtualize vcenter, or do not know how to recover from an environment down issue with a virtual vcenter.

"Well what happens if the host goes down that vcenter is on?"
HA carries it to a new host
"Well what happens if your environment powers down?"
You can attach to the host and force start vcenter
"Well what happens if it is 50 or 100 hosts"
If you have 100 hosts you should be carving out a management cluster which would mitigate quite a bit of "guessing" if you don't want to write a script to query hosts for the vm labeled your vcenter.

It started with people not wanting to virtualize SQL servers, then not wanting to virtualize domain controllers. Virtualizing vCenter will be the last domino to topple.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Any of you guys able to log into Moodle for the Stanley class?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I logged into the Stanly website a couple weeks ago and at first couldn't figure out why I was having problems logging in, but then I remembered that I'd reset my password. All good at this time - finished up the first section and planning on knocking out the second tomorrow after work.

This is all I get after logging in:

http://i.imgur.com/PKCOlYg.png

e: this is the course I'm in:
CAS-300039-2013CE3-Poplin-OL VMware vSphere:Inst, Conf, Mg (Oct to Dec)

madsushi fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 22, 2013

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Not sure if this is a SAN question or VMware question but I'll start here first.

We have a pair of NetApp FAS2020's, one in our office and one at the recovery site. We also have VMware servers at both locations.

We want to test a few things (mainly if our backup web server will talk to our backup database server) but I'm running into a problem: the two NetApps have a SnapMirror configured between the two of them with all of our VM datastores on them.

Of course, the SnapMirror at the recovery site is read-only. That means I can't break the mirror to fire up the VM's and test. I could, but we've got a 10mb link and there's like 3TB of crap so it'd take a month to get it copied back over, unless the SnapMirror is smart enough to not require that.

If I have some unallocated space, can I carve out 100GB or something on the recovery site NetApp and copy the two VM datastores I need from the SnapMirror, so I can play with those without having to re-create or re-sync the mirror?

Usually you use FlexClone ($$$ license on the NetApp) to make a zero-space copy of the SnapMirrored volume, which is R/W and you can do all of your testing. Then you delete the FlexClone volume and it just goes away, leaving your pristine SnapMirror volume untouched the whole time.

Without FlexClone, your options are more limited. You could make a new volume on the destination side, and then use a non-VMware tool (Linux - mount both volumes and copy) to copy VMs out of the SnapMirror volume and dump them into the dummy volume for testing.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

ragzilla posted:

Digi AnywhereUSB or similar USB over IP/Ethernet product should work.

+1. Make sure it's a Digi, a lot of the cheaper knockoffs don't work well.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've been searching all day but have yet to find an answer to my question about my RAID controller. I bought an LSI 9212-4i card to manage my two 320GB WD Blue spindle drives in RAID-1 in my ESXi box, but when I look under Hardware Status there is nothing for the drive status. I can see under Configuration/Storage/Devices that I have an LSI Serial Attached SCSI Disk, but there is no indication of the condition of the drives.

I know that vCenter monitors RAIDs and alerts when they enter a degraded state, but for the life of me I have been unable to find anything online to indicate what I need to download from LSI in terms of drivers or accessories or how to go about enabling this feature.

Information about the drives is passed to ESXi via CIM. You need to download and install the LSI CIM modules. LSI calls this an SMI-S provider.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
It seems like the only actual people using Nutanix are all the VMware bloggers that Nutanix bought and put in their pocket.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is a pretty basic question, but I have a vm on a host with plenty of CPU available, 16 vCPU * 2GHz.

The vm is set to use one CPU and 95% of the time it uses almost nothing. The other 5% its going at 100%

Am I right in saying that with only one vCPU provisioned it'll max out at 2GHz even if there are plenty of resources available?

So, does this mean I need to provision a second vCPU or is there some other part of the story I'm missing?

Where are you getting that 100% number from? The guest OS? The guest OS usually can't tell what its actual CPU usage is and will often show 100% even when it's not consuming all of the CPU allocated to it.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Wicaeed posted:

Would that only be caused by resource scheduling or just a general rule of VMs?

General rule of VMs, at least with VMware. I think someone said that if you have the latest Windows + latest VMware tools, it's better. But in general, the in-guest monitoring of stuff like CPU is really inaccurate. Just because you assign a guest 1 vCPU doesn't mean that it gets all of the cycles of that CPU all the time. VMware will only give it what it needs/asks for, so it can think it's at 100%. If VMware sees more instructions come in, it gives it more cycles, UP TO a total of 1 vCPU. The "up to" is the key here. VMware can just give you like 500 MHz of power when you're not doing anything and Windows can't tell the difference between that and being at 100% CPU.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

So going kinda along that note.

I have a few sites with a few clusters at each site. Currently each site has its own isolated vMotion subnet. I am not running DCHP on that subnet. I'll go out of my way to statically assign hosts with their vMotion IPs to all go with the same scheme.

Example:

ChicagoVM-1
- vMotion-1 192.168.20.11
- vMotion-2 192.168.20.12
ChicagoVM-2
- vMotion-1 192.168.20.21
- vMotion-2 192.168.20.22

Am I sperging over this stuff for no reason? Should I just turn on DHCP on our switch for that subnet and just not give a poo poo?

I do like to OCD over stupid poo poo....

No, I always statically assign my vMotion stuff, because you never know when a DHCP hiccup will cause your cluster to become very upset.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

On the topic of switches, since that's where I'm studying right now.

So I can create a dvSwitch and attach it to a bunch of hosts. But if I want to add a vmkernel port to all of those hosts to allow them to vMotion using that dvSwitch, do I need to be doing that host by host? I don't see any way to do that at a higher level, it seems I still need to go host by host and add it by going to configuration, networking, vSphere Distributed Switch, then...

Is there a way to add it to multiple hosts at once?

You can do that with a command-line tool. The VMware way to do it is usually Host Profiles, which is $$$ (Enterprise Plus or something).

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

I want to make a community whitebox esxi image. I'm doing my own research but anyone know some common vibe that need to be added? Ill package them and upload them.

No offense, but I don't think I'd ever want to install ESXi from some image that a random dude on the internet is hosting. I'd rather just get it straight from VMware with the HP/Dell stuff pre-installed and not have to worry about "is this the latest version?" and "I hope he didn't mess it up" and "I hope he didn't get hacked and now there's a rootkit".

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Martytoof posted:

Is there some trick to getting the vSphere Client to format a disk with existing data/partitions as a blank VMFS5 datastore? I threw an SSD into one of my ESXi hosts and I want to use it for host cache bla bla bla, but being the lazy dude I am I didn't bother blanking it ahead of time.

vSphere client sees the drive just fine, but it's got Linux partitions and when I try to "Add Storage..." in the Datastores config pane it won't show up as an available device.

Do I just need to dd over the MBR or something? I was hoping vClient would give me the option to just blow everything away right there and then.

edit: I just ssh'd in and cleared the MBR table and it detects it now. What a pain in the rear end, even if it is an edge case.

Yeah, especially with SSDs, you have to clear them before you toss 'em in.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

1000101 posted:

It's probably more like "we've got a lot of cool poo poo in this beta and we want to pump up our stock/hype things up going into vmworld."

Also may be a genuine experiment on their part since the last few releases have been pretty light on the QA. If you open it up to a large crowd the hope might be to get a lot of meaningful feedback to button it up before VMworld.

Maybe the vCenter installer won't poo poo the bed when you hit 'simple install' this time.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Hypervisor level AV/FW's own, not a fan for turning off the windows stuff but if you are already doing FW/AV on the hypervisor level what purpose does these OS FW serve?

What percentage of 2008r2 VMs would you say are running on ESXi hosts with a hypervisor firewall of any kind?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
How many physical NICs are backing vSwitch0 and that VMkernel? I believe you can only have 1 physical NIC per iSCSI VMkernel port. So you might have to make new VMkernel port, only assign it 1 NIC (overriding the vSwitch config) and then turn it on.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Wicaeed posted:

So if I have a product key for Vmware vSphere 5 Enterprise Plus (unlimited cores per CPU) what determines how many copies I can attached to vCenter Std?

Nothing, really. Besides crazy-high maximums and the performance of your vCenter server (it has to keep up).

Max 1,000 hosts connected to a single vCenter
Max 10,000 powered on VMs connected to a single vCenter
Max 500 hosts per datacenter object in vCenter

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
So VMware just announced they're never supporting AHCI for vSAN, which translates to "home lab users get hosed". I was really hoping they'd allow an override or something to let it work, since it's only disabled on their side (worked in beta, etc).

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

evol262 posted:

My guess is "knows how to interpret SCSI commands", but it's a good question.

The new requirements are a pretty steep queue depth (256?) whereas AHCI maxes at 32. So it actually takes a reasonably good controller now. They had issues with people using cheap ones in prod.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
There's one other reason I've run into: split virtual clusters, e.g. running a SQL cluster between a VM and a physical server.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

DevNull posted:

Trigger warnings please.

There are people at VMware that think we should stop doing anything with VMs, and just be a container company instead. Containerware.

So the web client guys have moved on to containers, got it.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Erwin posted:

They certainly send me enough marketing emails. I'm sure they'd be happy to add you to their list.

A couple of the popular VMware bloggers went over to Pernix a while ago too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

DevNull posted:

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vnc-server-and-vnc-client

OK, now I can talk about it. :)

Probably boring to most people, but a lot of us use this for working remotely. I spend the last week in Seattle connected to my linux desktop in Palo Alto with it, and work from home with it all the time as well. I've also use it to play Skyrim over a hotel wireless during a convention with lovely networking. It was showing some artifacts with the compress during that, but still pretty impressive. It works really well with low bandwidth. It's the same VNC code that your VMRC connection uses now. There was a bunch of politics that kept this from launching for 7 months, so we already have a bunch of plans for another release. The main thing we want to add is a UI, and support for a Mac client.

Can you compare it to existing VNC solutions? Better support for low bandwidth?