Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
This might need to go into the server thread, but it's somewhat VM related, let me know and I'll move it. I asked a month ago about setting up a VM lab. Well, I hosed up on my research and somehow came to the conclusion that ESXi had a host based VM software. I was wrong, so I don't have a dedicated bare metal machine right now. Well, I'm looking to get some hands on active directory experience. I have virtualbox and have been able to install Ubuntu, Windows 10 preview with relative ease (98 is still escaping me :arggh:), and will probably be putting a Server 2k8 or 2012 on soon enough. Question is, is there a way to set up a test environment so I can have 'pretend' users and whatnot so I can get some Active Directory experience?

e: Should I download the VHD and just mount it from that or do an install from a .iso?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Hey guys. I'm playing around with the low end of virtualization. I'm running Windows 10 preview, Linux, Server 2012 (not at the same time normally). One of my questions is this, is there a way to pump more video capabilities or install drivers to use my GPU more? I'd like to run it as a full screen at 1920x1080 and maybe even play some games on low settings through the VM. It may not be possible with what I"m currently using.

Host OS: Win 8.1 Pro
VM: VirtualBox 4.3.16
CPU: I7 4600k OC'd to 4.6 ghz
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon 7870 (2 GB GDDR5)

The VMs are all on separate HDDs that aren't on my SSD.

When I go to the settings for the video, it will only allow me to allocate 128MB to the VM. Is there a way to increase this? I'd like to even make my resolutions within the window more widescreen, but there are no options for it.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, i'm looking to do some virtual lab stuff, and I want to make sure I don't need anything else on my computer:

i7 2600k overclocked to 4.5ghz (Should I drop the overclock?)
16GB RAM
120GB SSD

2x 1TB spare drives for separating out storage for the VMs.

I am thinking I might put in a new larger SSD in as my primary, and possibly use the smaller SSD as the jumping off point for my VMs. Is there anything else I need to add/remove?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Misogynist posted:

Or go with a much larger SSD if you don't mind stopping and starting your VMs when you need them. 120 GB is gonna run you like three VMs unless you're doing little thin-provisioned Linux things in Vagrant or whatever.

Thanks. I was looking to get a larger SSD (I was dumb for getting the 120). I've already got 3, but they're on one of the platter drives to save room.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay goons, I am finally getting around to learning ESXi, and I"m having a problem, and this may or may not be a quick question:

I'm installing ESXi inside a Virtualbox machine. However, I happen to have a realtek adapter, and it seems ESXi's main program doesn't support Realtek drivers. I've attempted to change the Virtualbox settings so it's "Generic" but it doesn't seem to work and it keeps kicking me back off saying it couldn't find the network adapater. Is there something I can do within Virtualbox to get the network adapter to work, or am I going to have to load the drivers into the .iso and boot it that way?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Gyshall posted:

oh god

You don't have a physical box you can install ESXi on instead? I'm not even sure that is supported.

I did, but I didn't research properly and decided to use the hardware as my new computer and then found out after I sold my other computer off. Oh well, hindsight and all that.

HOWEVER, if I fail, I fail. I'll have to work something out, I'll let you know if ESXi can actually work in VirtualBox sometime tonight.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Relax, it's in VMPlayer now. I know I'm a terrible human being for not having my own machine for ESXi, but I don't have the money for it right now.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Are there any good books/guides/online thingies for virtualization? I have a high overview concept of VMs, I finally have a bare metal VM machine with ESXi on it and a couple of basic guest OSes (Windows Vista for loving with those "I work for MS and your computer is infected", and Linux). I'm looking to start working with virtual switches and routers, and some VLANs. I'm wanting to start setting things up, but I'd like to get a better handle on virtualization in general.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

If you are the type that learns by immersion, go make a Xen box and read about OVS and Openflow.

Even getting a basic network with vlans set up with ovs and open flow is fairly involved and will get you exposed to write a bit quickly.

I'm not really a Linux person. Of what I'm reading, it's very Linux heavy. If that's the best solution I'll learn Linux on top of it as well, unless there's something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Hey guys, a question.

I'm playing with Linux on my ESXi server (6.0), and want to test things and get things like my sound to work over a remote desktop. Right now I'm just opening a console terminal via vSphere client, but I would like to test sound and some video formats as I mess with Linux. What is the best way to accomplish this?

The host I'm remoting from is Windows 10, and I'm remoting into a Ubuntu 14.