Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own
Is the VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit with vSphere Storage Appliance a good deal if we have two Dell R710 servers and we would like to have HA?

Is vSphere Storage a good cheap alternative to a NAS/SAN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own
With the essentials plus kit the VSA costs about $3k, is there any entry level SAN that could server a few R710's for around (+-2k) that?

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own

three posted:

VSA pricing makes a little more sense when bundled with Essentials Plus, but it still has a lot of drawbacks like not being extendable beyond your initial setup and/or 3 nodes, large storage overhead, unrecommended to run vCenter on the same nodes as VSA runs, etc. I'd personally rather pitch an entry level SAN for a few more thousand dollars.

What would be an example of an entry level SAN for a couple servers?

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own

Bitch Stewie posted:

Dell MD series or HP P2000 or various Drobo/ReadyNAS level devices depending on whether you want SAN or NAS and the version of vSphere.

Keep in mind the VSA (VMware or P4000) can also give you clustering/redundancy over and above what an entry level SAN will give you, even one with dual controllers.

The Dell MD3200i looks pretty nice, dual controllers, dual power supplies. In the past my boss has opted for the more expensive, do it right, option. So I think he'd be fine with the MD3200i

If we got a MD3200i Dual controller, 2x Dell PowerConnect 6248's (I know, not the greatest but we can get them cheap and we don't have that much traffic or layer3), and the essentials plus kit, we could be pretty good with redundancy I think.

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own

the spyder posted:

My sales rep just tried to sell me vSphere standard edition... For my two, 192gb ram, dual 8 core hosts... He claimed it supported HA and vMotion, and that I only needed one license...

Correct me if I am wrong, but for vSphere Essentials Plus and vCenter foundations, I am looking at $7500~ in licensing for these two hosts...

vSphere standard is by CPU, so I believe you would need four licenses of vSphere standard to cover the cpu's, but it has a 32gb/license limit on RAM.

As for the vSphere Essentials Plus, if you're talking about the kit that includes vCenter. "VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus Kit for 3 hosts (Max 2 processors per host) and 192 GB vRAM entitlement" So 64gb/server

EDIT: VMWare noob here, so I might be wrong

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own

Misogynist posted:

He can have 192 GB in one server if that's all he wants to use, vRAM entitlements are cumulative and not averaged across your environment.

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/small-business/compare-kits.html

Under vRam entitlement for Essentials Plus, why does it say "32GB (192GB total)" if it's cumulative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own
We're going to be changing some of our servers over to ESXi vsphere servers, we purchased 2x Dell 6248's for the iSCSI traffic and LAN traffic. To make the vmotion/lan traffic redundant over both switches (assuming the hosts are hooked into both switches) do I just have to add the nics to the same vswitch?