Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Is this the right thread to ask about VDI setups (specifically Microsoft VDI)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

Corvettefisher posted:

What do you need to know? I have a test environment of VDI infrastructe if you need me to test something

I'm looking into it for a group that might end up using it for a 20 seat call center (out bound surveys), that sees varying levels of use. Primarily web based stuff, but IE is required for one of the web apps.

All of their desktops are up for replacement, so I'm going to suggest they funnel the $20-30K replacement cost into a decent server (or two), thin clients, and maybe have some left over so I can show cost savings like a boss.

Basically, I'm looking for any experience on the ground with VDI, and if someone would give me a double check if I'm forgetting anything. Or if what I'm thinking about doing is a terrible idea.

I know we need a VDA per client. If we have one for each client, am I correct in the understanding that's all the licensing we'd need as far as clients/VMs go?

Giving the environment (One instance of IE with about 5 tabs and an ActiveX plugin, everyone's standard user) I was thinking about virtualizing one 2008R2 instance. Would this be a bad idea?

And if anyone knows a thin client vendor with RDP 6 compatible models, I'm all ears.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

*cough* use citrix and xendesktop *cough* *cough*

*COUGH* http://www.wyse.com/products/cloud-clients/zero-clients/Xenith *COUGH*

I've heard mixed things about Citrix, and it was not well liked by the Windows Admin at my previous place (though this was several years ago) who's impression was managing Citrix was a full-time job. I've got other things that need watching.

Just to be clear, I look forward to being proven wrong and having any misconceptions I have dispelled.

(And thanks for the link!)

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Edit:^^^^^^ The test our admin ran was with about 16 machines. I'm not concerned about performance, I'm concerned about upkeep/what portion of my day is going to be devoted to cursing Citrix and its thrice-damned spawn.

He did a Citrix test deployment, got it was set up and working properly. But the time required to get it set up, and then manage, was more than his workload would permit. So the project was scrapped, the thin clients sent back, and the lab was replaced with full desktops instead. (Which is sort of where I fear this project might be headed)

He readily admitted he didn't get to use Citrix to full potential. But again, that's because getting set up and managing it became impossible to do with the rest of his duties; his impression was managing and truly utilitizing Citrix would have required about 3/4ths a full time position. Again this was years ago, I hope things have gotten better, but I've got things to attend to that aren't Citrix.

And hey! I'm a windows system admin. (I've worked/work in academia IT, so Microsoft licenses are peanuts.)

Edit2: Definitely worth hunting down a 30 day trial or something tomorrow based on recommendations.

Edit3: Going from time frames, looks like the trial might have been with Metaframe or early versions of XenDesktop.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 2, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Corvettefisher posted:

I about ready to write a "How to be a good systems admin" guide for this job. I am too the point where it is basically click on deploy and servers are ready to go.

E: hmm that wouldn't be a bad thread idea, "Systems Admin guide to automating/optimizing your environment"

I'd read it.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Also, its less fun when you try to replace servers. (That is, retire them while transitioning to the replacements)

The only correct solution is to start with 12th century European royalty, and work your way down.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

^^^^ I'd be interested.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Does anyone have any experience with Citrix XenDesktop in a Split-scope DHCP environment? (That is, the suffix of the FQDN doesn't completely match the domain. Domain is ds.contoso.com, FQDNs are Computer.subdomain.contoso.com)

The VMs for my trial deployment are being successfully created, but they aren't registering with the DDC. I can issue power state commands and put the VMs in and out of maintenance mode (and console/RDP to them), but they refuse to register.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

This might a question for the windows enterprise thread but I figured I'd try hear first.

First things first: I don't control our domain or network, and any changes to those are perhaps not likely to happen.

I'm having trouble with Citrix/Microsoft VDI. I've troubleshot the thing to hell, and here's what I got out of it.
Our AD environment operates DHCP in a split scope. Our domain is dm.contoso.com, but DDNS/DNS integrates a separate namespace, subdomain.contoso.com. So the FQDNs for my host would be HOSTNAME.dhcp.subdomain.contoso.com but when I try to set up citrix/microsoft, even when I put in the FQDN for my VDI host, it looks for HOSTNAME.dm.contoso.com

I've updated the primary DNS suffix so HOSTNAME.dhcp.subdomain.contoso.com shows up in Active directory, and altered the SPN records so there's no reference to anything dm.contoso.com, but it still keeps trying to add HOSTNAME.dm.contoso.com

I'm out of ideas, and google's failing me.

edit: works now, diregard

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 7, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I think at the inital post I was having issues with XenServer. I'm now up on Microsoft's VDI solution and Hyper-V.

Today's post was trying to set the Remote Desktop Server when configuring the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Broker.

I've gotten a slight work around (altering the sys32\drivers\etc\hosts file to point HYPERVISOR.dm.contoso.com to the correct place), so I've got my broker hooked up to my hypervisor, but now its pitching a fit about the VM not matching a FQDN, but I'm not done wrestling with it yet. Maybe more hostfile entries :suicide:

Let me also say its not a LAN, it is a CAN. Its almost a MAN.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

got it working. Its drinking time.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Ok, so fun Citrix fact I discovered this week, related to my earlier posts:
If you operate a disjointed namespace environment (that is, the suffix of your computers' FDQN doesn't always match your domain) the desktop agent will try to check in with DESKTOPDIRECTOR.my.domain.com instead of DESKTOPDIRECTOR.disjoint.domain.com, no matter what you set in configuration.

If you can't get your connection broker to be in ADDNS, alter the hosts file on your master VM to create a static route.

edit: disjointed namespace, not splitscope. sorry, long week.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

incoherent posted:

This will bite them in the rear end. IT people who get hustled into low cost consulting love pushing SBS. Because hey, its easy to setup?

This would of been the cycle to mix and match the solutions. Want SQL azure but exchange locally? Want office 365 and SQL locally?

Not only is it easy to set up, but no CAL headache for file services.