Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

FISHMANPET posted:

So as I read through Masterping vSphere 5 and VMware vSphere Design, I'm mentally planning my departments virtualization build out (and my boss is listening to me on this, so I can't gently caress it up) and I decided to look for 10 Gb Switches.

:swoon: http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/managed-10gigabit-ethernet-switches :swoon:

Looks like Cisco doesn't even have an equivalent, so I'm guessing nobody does yet. And we can get it for only $10k!

I run a pair of them for more than a year, they are rock solid and great, full of features etc, cannot recommend them enough.
Also the latest firmware got some very nice web GUI now, same design as DRAC6 ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

Rhymenoserous posted:

As far as I know everything in the powerconnect line is rebranded brocade.

:wth:
Except some chassis-based blade/FC stuff Powerconect switches have nothing to do with Brocade.

All Powerconnects are built on Marvell or Broadcom platforms, exclusive designs for Dell.
It's actually not hard to tell as they don't even look similar to any Brocade switch. :P

szlevi fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 8, 2012

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, these 8000 series switches are new, but what I'm finding of them is pretty positive.

They work very well for me, a year ago I bought 3 for like ~$15k if I remember correctly... :) A pair of 8024F is working fine since for mixed iSCSI/LAN in my server room (storage-server-cluster backend, diff subnets instead of VLAN) plus I have an 8024 for 10Gb workstation aggregation, all are connected to my core E8212zl. The 8024 (non-F) was a true gem a year ago, nobody offered stackable 24-port 10GBASE-T (+4 SFP+ combo port) switch especially not for $5k... :D

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

Timdogg posted:

Yeah, I hate getting sales people all excited because the last thing they ever give me is an actual price. I usually have to go through a sales presentation and end up pissing people off because they were completely out of our price range.

Basically I was looking for a range, like over 50K? 100k? 1 BILLION dollars? I just have no concept how much Compellent is.

I'd say your base config starts around ~$80k, few TBs, two NAS and no fancy stuff included. Add a tray of SSD, magic sauce, live volumes etc and you have just doubled the price. Add 10Gb, more disk, capacity etc... you get the picture.

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

Internet Explorer posted:

Unless something has changed recently the free version of XenServer also allows for live migration on shared storage.

Does it? When v6 was debuting live migration was still a payware feature...