Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

On our Dell R730s I haven't seen any failures, but one of the hosts experienced errors with the SD card redundancy about a year ago. After testing the card to rule out hardware errors I deleted and re-created the redundancy pair. It's been stable ever since.

It's worth noting that Dell has replaced the bootable SD card option with either a single or dual NVMe drive which is way better from both a reliability and a performance standpoint. I assume that HPE is doing the same on their Proliants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Maybe the issue is with the permissions on the file. Check with ls -alF, not sure what the correct permissions are meant to be though.

Worst case scenario if the VMX is hosed is you can create a new shell VM and attach the existing VMDK to it. For safety sake I’d actually copy the VMDK to the new VM folder so you have the untouched original as a backup until you get everything working again.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a such thing as a packaged group of VMs? Like if I wanted to archive or distribute a production environment that included workstation VMs but also server VMs and maybe different flavors of each. Can they be bundled and also initiated as a group?

VMware vSphere has a construct called vApp which might fit your needs. https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-E6E9D2A9-D358-4996-9BC7-F8D9D9645290.html