Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm trying to automate creating a VM as much as humanly possible but for the kickstart to work, I need to get the MAC address of one of the NICs.

Through human interaction I can check it via vSphere > Edit Settings > Select the NIC and tada. But I have yet to find a way to do it, preferably through vmware-cmd (which let me say is lacking is documentation). Does anyone have a good way of doing this? I've found a sample perl script in the powercli tools but the host has to be on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get the Dell Management Center plugin working with 5.1. I'm pretty sure I have the vibs installed and I deployed the Virtual Center ovf and set it up. But at the end of the day, it doesn't want to connect and keeps giving me a web server communication error.

Ideas?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Here's a link to the exact image. I can't even get to the setup wizard.

http://i.imgur.com/rFt8G.png

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Corvettefisher posted:

Yeah I would be on the phone will dell. You are using the dell ESXI image right?
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=F40KH

I was hoping not to have to call them but looks like my day is planned.

I used the dell image for the initial install last year but updated to 5.1 using VUM but I have the dell repo attached to VUM too so I ASSUME that any dell updates would apply as well (of which a scan tell me my hosts and vms are all up to date).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I know enough about Dells to know that if you get broadcom nics in it, you're committing suicide on your virtual server (at least vmware).

Actually, other than the hair pulling situation of getting their management poo poo working with vmware recently, there haven't been too many problems from the Dell side here (4 host cluster).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Kachunkachunk posted:

Windows Firewall on your VC server? Or is it a Linux appliance?

Windows firewall is totally off.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Speaking of running off of running off of SD card, our environment runs on SD rather than disc (all hosts read from SAN) but 3 of our hosts came with like 300GB in disc each. Is there a good use for these or is it basically wasted space outside of the host? The guy who setup most of our environment left but said that ESXi 5.1 finally made this useful but I don't remember what the solution had to deal with.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm working migrating a lot of computing here to Eucalyptus. It's fantastic for anyone who uses AWS and really it takes maybe an hour to two from blank box to cloud controller (whereas I worked for 9 months getting OpenStack to a state other than "not working" without luck).

My issue comes in that we've got a reasonably large Windows infrastructure in AWS and to migrate that out, I need to find a good way to get a Windows image into the cloud (KVM base). I've tried importing from both Fusion and Virtual Box with failure. KVM doesn't have any kind of cool console like Hyper-V 2012 or VMWare so I can't see where in the bootup it's failing. Anyone have tips on getting this working?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This actually looks like it'll work great. Thanks.

Also, it looks like buried in euca's documentation is a decent step through for installing directly on an NC. https://www.eucalyptus.com/docs/eucalyptus/3.3/user-guide/images_win.html#images_win
It's a lot more involved than I'd hoped but I'm certainly getting further with those two than I was before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

evol262 posted:

Eucalyptus just got bought, so its future is a little uncertain, sadly.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that KVM doesn't support a console, though. KVM doesn't, but libvirt does. Go add "<graphics type='vnc' autoport='yet'>" or some other options to gen_kvm_libvirt_xml (probably in /usr/share somewhere), and it'll add it to the generated libvirt XML for new guests, at which point you can use VNC normally, though the previous link should also be fine.

Got bought and uncertain future but the CEO is staying on as head of cloud (all cloud) business. The move honestly could be seen just as easily as HP walking away from OpenStack as Euca being destroyed.

I haven't used KVM much before this honestly. Looking through online a lot of times people make a lot of assumptions over my head. It looks like yes I can attach to KVM via VNC using libvert but getting the proper information for applying this to Euca can be difficult.