Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Right now I'm running HyperV on a Server 2008 host that I have 8 VMs running on it. The warranty on the server is expiring at the end of June, so that means time for a new server. HyperV has been rock solid for the past five years, but I want to roll out VMware's products so that I have a better understanding of them for when I move on from this current position. I can't find a clear cut response via Google to the few questions I have about that I was hoping to get some input on.

1. With HyperV I have Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2007 performing my live nightly backups of the machines and Tivoli is running on the machines for file level backup. What product from VMware handles live backups? I see tons of information about live migrations, fall back, and disaster recovery, but on a basic level - which package do I definitely need in order to have this functionality? Is there anything that provides file level backup and restoration, too? I'd love to be able to forgo Tivoli on some of them as its performance isn't great.

2. What's the goon recommended process for performing live migrations to VMware? Is there a process or application built in the VMware's suite to perform this function or is easiest to just the Converter application to change between them? Our datacenter is terrible and the current server is on 100 Mb connection, so it's going to be painful to do the transfers and I definitely don't want to worry about it failing and needing to do it again.

3. Not exactly virtualization related, but while I'm asking questions... is there an enterprise hardware thread I'm just overlooking? I see some specific things, such as the enterprise networking and data, but I was hoping to get someone to weigh in on the specs of my new server build before committing.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU