Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Is there any benefit to having a dedicated NIC for VMKernel as opposed to having VMKernel and the VMs sharing a couple of teamed NICs?

Also, if anyone knows of any Broadcom 5175 drivers for ESXi 6.0, that would be fabulous. I've got an old dual gigabit card sitting here and it would be a shame to have to pass it through to just one VM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm running an ESXi 6.0 setup right now and it's okay, but I want to start experimenting with containers and stuff. Would wiping and installing Ubuntu Server on bare metal be a good way to get both containers and VMs happening? I want to be able to run Windows VMs (Windows Server 2012R2 VM for a domain controller/DNS plus a Windows 10 VM for Windows-specific apps) with some Linux containers. I have a copy of Windows Server 2016 TP3, but I don't want to base my whole system on a tech preview.

I'm hardly a Linux guru and in my experience, while I've found that Ubuntu has its quirks, it's easier to get stuff going on it than in Fedora, where something always seems to gently caress up because they changed something and didn't tell anybody.

Or should I just install Ubuntu Server in an ESXi VM and keep on trucking?

EDIT: Upon further research, it looks like I could just install Docker on an existing Linux VM.

HPL fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 14, 2015

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

mayodreams posted:

You hit the nail on the head there. I am also running ESXi 6.0 and have been playing with Docker all weekend running on Centos 7 and it's been great.

What have you been running? I thought it would be neat to have Plex and FTP in a container, but then they run so well in the background normally that there's no point.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Hadlock posted:

I have to distribute a CoreOS thing/product on Hyper-V to a bunch of customers.

There are three VHDs that make up the product. Primary, Database (on SCSI 0), and Backup (on SCSI 1). On VMWare you just ship this to the customer as a single OVA.

Is there any way to ship this to a Hyper-V customer as as OVM or something, as a single file? The plan for Tuesday is to ship them three VHDs and walk them through configuring it.

You can export VMs in Hyper-V. All the giblets will be in a single directory. It won't be as a single file, but I'm sure there's a PowerShell command that'll import it for them. If worst comes to worst, remote into their computer and import it for them.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've messed around with Azure. It's sloooooow. It's okay if you're logging in very early in the morning, but after that, it's back to molasses. What am I doing wrong?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

cheese-cube posted:

Do you mean the dashboard? I'm working in SEA and honestly the RM dashboard has been surprisingly responsive for me all times of the day.

Cool thanks.

The dashboard itself is fine. If I remote into a machine and try to do anything, it's like going back 10 years in time as far as the responsiveness of the computer goes (click "OK", go grab a coffee). I guess I need a better account to run anything steadily.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Finally got around to installing and using the Fling VMWare host client. Big, big props to whoever built that thing. The console works way better than the vSphere Client console. I can actually use a mouse properly in Linux now.

The install is so simple there's no excuse for not running this if you're using ESXi.

EDIT: Hmmm. When you're running a console in a new browser window, how do you send a ctrl-alt-delete?

HPL fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 19, 2015

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

1000101 posted:

Try control-alt-insert.

Already tried that. Didn't work. Guess I'll stick to running console in a non-full browser tab.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Hadlock posted:

By "a bunch of customers", I mean like, 1000 over the next year.

Create a .msi installer file that has the VM files in it and runs a PowerShell script to import it?

I'm hoping someone comes up with a proper solution because I'm curious too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Bumped the ESXi box up from 8GB to 16GB. Possibly the most painful RAM upgrade I've ever done. It's an older Dell Optiplex 780, and yes, it HAS to have DDR3 1333 DIMMs. No, it can't be the faster stuff that's widely available or it won't even POST.

Anyone tried VMWare Photon Linux yet? If so, how's that working out for you?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Wibla posted:

Jikes, what a pain in the rear end.

Two returns to the local computer store later, I gave up on trying current RAM and ended up eBaying slower RAM which thankfully worked. Originally, I was like: "Sweet, 4 DIMM slots, I'll fill 'er with 4 8GB DIMMs". Nope. Wouldn't POST. Dug around some, found out the old motherboard chipset wouldn't support 8GB DIMMs, but could possibly support 4GB DIMMs. Okay, back to the store, eat the restocking fee and I go home and try the 4GB-1666 DIMMs. Nope, still wouldn't POST. Returned that RAM, ate another restocking fee and then ordered some actual 1333 from a Chinese eBay seller. Just arrived yesterday and thank god it works. Gigantic pain in the kiester.

Should have just bought a TS140 in the first place.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm working on an ESXi shell script to manage VMs since the embedded web client won't power VMs on or off and vSphere Client won't run in Linux. So far it's working except I'm trying to come up with a way to take user input and convert it to upper case. Normally in bash I'd use "tr [a-z] [A-Z]", but ESXi doesn't have the "tr" command. Any ideas? Basically I want to take user input in either upper case or lower case without using a bunch of OR statements.

HPL fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 25, 2015

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just a word of warning for folks thinking of trying out Windows Server 2016 - Hyper-V in 2016 requires Second Level Address Translation (SLAT). SLAT is only available on the i-series (i3, i5, i7) and newer Xeons. It is not supported on the Core 2 series of CPUs. You can't install the Hyper-V role on a Core 2 Duo/Quad computer. I am really burned up about this because I didn't know about this until I put together a Core 2 Duo box and tried installing Server 2016 TP4.

At this point I am exploring the possibility of running Windows containers as opposed to Hyper-V containers. This should be awful/interesting.

HPL fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 10, 2016

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

wyoak posted:

Good to know but why are you building boxes with 8 year old processors?

Because I already have an esxi box and I'm a poor student right now and I don't want to go out and spend a lot of money on something that I'm going to end up burning to the ground when the final Server 2016 comes out. Besides, a Core 2 Duo E8400 with 12GB of RAM should in theory have enough oomph to run Server 2016 and some VMs, especially since all I want to do is mess around with nano servers and containers.

Incidentally, in my very short time with Server 2016 thus far, it boots up damned quick. On my "antiquated" hardware, it does two loops of the dotted circle and then it's ready to go. Non-Hyper-V containers only take a few seconds to fire up. It uses the Windows 10-style interface and there isn't all the fluffy non-essential crap on it like I heard was in earlier previews. The start menu has nice sensible admin-related programs pinned to it. All in all, if you're already familiar with 2012 R2, 2016 is going to feel pretty familiar.

EDIT: Oh god, working on things that are not properly documented is sucking horribly.

HPL fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 10, 2016

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well, trying to build a test network on Server 2016 without Hyper-V was about as fun as whacking my hand with a sledgehammer. Time to work on adding Xenserver to the list of hypervisors I've tried.

I'll be back though, I'll be back. Server 2016 hasn't seen the last of me.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well, tried Xenserver and it was okay, not really ringing my bells though. Not anything compelling to make one switch over from ESXi. If anything, it's much fiddlier than ESXi, especially with how it deals with storage. I gave Server 2016 another throw and tried running VirtualBox on it. Kitematic worked well for running containers, but it gave containers IP addresses in the 192.168.99.0 subnet which was kind of dumb. I've never been a fan of VirtualBox's networking. Anyways, burned that to the ground and gave Proxmox a go. I've only been on it for an hour or two but I'm already warming up to it. Containers are super easy since dealing with it is an integral part of the the hypervisor as opposed to a duct taped kludge in a VM. Console in Proxmox works well. Nice and snappy, good display quality.

Still looking forward to the final version of Server 2016 and getting some decent (SLAT/Hyper-V capable) hardware. Server 2016 seems like it might actually make a decent daily driver OS. Nano servers are kind of a waste at this point since there's not much functionality happening with them (only certain roles can be used with Nano servers) and they're a pain in the butt to deal with since you have to use djoin to get them joined on your domain. Windows containers work much better than Nano servers since there's much less loving around to get them going, they start up fast and have less overhead. It'll be interesting to see how things develop on that front. If Microsoft can come up with some nifty tools to make managing and networking containers easy, they'll cover any ground lost from being late to the game in no time.

EDIT: Oh cool, I got SolyDK to install on Proxmox. I couldn't even do that in Hyper-V or bare metal.

HPL fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 11, 2016

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
After spending more time with Proxmox, I have really come to appreciate it. It is very easy to use, works well with almost any operating system and you can install a desktop on the host machine and manage your VMs via the web GUI right on the host itself. It's not a hypervisor I would use for learning virtualization as it is not one of the big boys, but if you have a spare computer sitting around and want to run VMs and still be able to use the computer itself, it's fantastic. The only thing to watch out for is that if you make a bootable USB drive from the ISO, it may not install, since it may hang while trying to look for a cdrom drive (of all things). If that happens, go check the proxmox wiki and they list a couple of programs to try to create your USB drive.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Which hypervisor has the best guest VM experience? I find that most hypervisor-only solutions are poor because of the slowness of VNC or whatever. So far, running a Hyper-V guest VM on the host machine has been the best for me, with Virtualbox a close second, but is there any way to make ones like KVM work better on the host machine? I've tried Spice and it was equally horrible as VNC as far as framerate goes.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evol262 posted:

Spice is demonstrably faster than VNC, but you'll need to be a lot more specific about what you're doing and with what kind of bandwidth. libvirt also supports RDP in some cases, but you're almost always better off just enabling RDP in the guest.

In general, something with guest extensions (which is enabled by default with Windows guests on hyper-v, I think). VMware's are good, and Workstation may be what you want. Parallels and Fusion are good on Macs. Spice/qxl also requires extensions for optimal performance on Windows.

But again, be specific about what you're doing, because guest video performance hasn't been an issue for a long time outside of gaming. Almost all hypervisors (including qemu) even support basic 3d accel.

I'm remoting into Windows Server and Linux desktops. I've used RDP as well, which is somewhat better, but it doesn't play nicely with all distros. On the Spice front, I'm remoting in with virt-viewer and Proxmox. This is all on a local gigabit LAN, and sometimes on the Proxmox host iself, so it's not like bandwidth is an issue. The image quality over the connection is fine, but the refresh speed is abysmal, like if there's a fade in or fade out of the background, it'll take a few seconds for things to chunk along.

In this respect, I've found working with Hyper-V machines locally to be the best experience, with Chrome Remote Desktop coming in second. CRD doesn't have the best image quality, but it's fast and responsive and works with little to no BS. Eventually, I'd like to move away from Windows, so I'd like to find something that would provide as close to a bare-metal experience as possible when using a VM on a host machine, especially since I'd still be running Windows in a VM for non-Linux programs. Of course in a perfect world I'd be using Horizon View with Teradici PCOIP cards, but that ain't happening any time soon. I guess the closest relatively inexpensive stopgap would be passing through a video card, keyboard and mouse.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evol262 posted:

I'm very curious about this, since we have a number of customers running extremely large VDI deployments on SPICE (I work on oVirt as well as Openstack, and it's mostly RHEV clients). I use SPICE extensively, and I don't see problems, which is why I'm curious what you're doing on the VMs, beyond "slow refresh". Games? 3D accelerated programs? What? Are they Windows VMs? Are the guest tools installed?

I'd probably try running some kind of remoting directly on the VMs (RDP, VNC, NX, whatever), but it's possible Proxmox did something bad here.

Again, the display quality is fine, and the refresh rate is fine if I'm doing something relatively static like word processing, but if I'm using a fancier distro with fancier desktop graphics and transitions, the experience can get very annoying. I haven't even come close to tackling 3D gaming since I haven't got a decent pass through-able video card. Supposedly there aren't any guest tools to install since it's all oVirt. Like I said, the VM is "usable", but can it be better?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Proxmox is basically Debian and KVM/qemu pre-rolled. The Proxmox wiki says it uses oVirt drivers etc. I'm going to try some other things next. Again, I'm not unsatisfied with the way things are working right now, I'm just digging to find a way to get things running really well before I go all in with Linux.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well, just as an update, I did a bare-metal install of Debian and then installed KVM/qemu on it, especially after manually installing virtio drivers on Windows guests. VMs definitely seem to be happier on it, though it's not quite as silky smooth as I might like. Still, progress.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Be sure to enable the Hyper-V specific stuff KVM supports and set graphics to VMware SVGA, it should help a little.

Didn't do a heck of a lot for me, but from what I see on the web, it works wonders when doing PCI passthrough.

For the folks out there looking for info, let me make it quick and easy for you. Go here:
http://blog.wikichoon.com/2014/07/enabling-hyper-v-enlightenments-with-kvm.html

And add the lines he lists into your QEMU VM configuration file, most likely in the "/etc/libvirt/qemu" directory. You'll need to use virsh to edit the XML file. Use "virsh edit (XML file name minus the .XML part)"
You'll have to add the <hyperv> </hyperv> block to the features block and add the one extra clock timer to the <clock> block.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Learned to do live migrations in Hyper-V today. It was so easy it was ridiculous.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Does anyone make an drive enclosure with multiple eSATA ports on it? I was thinking that it would be neat to have my hypervisor boxes all running off the same storage space, like a SAN, but the ghetto version. It would (theoretically) be as fast as local storage, but without the insane 10 gbps network costs.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I looked into it further and it looks like Thunderbolt would be a good way to go for something similar. Tons of bandwidth, simple cabling and somewhat reasonable pricing. Now if only I had the money.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So what the heck is Nutanix? I went to the web site and couldn't find my way past the wall of hype.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So in other words they can do everything Server 2012 R2 can already do?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just tried X2Go, a remote desktop protocol thing. It's incredible. It's way faster and smoother than Spice and it beats VNC and regular RDP by a country mile. A pain in the butt to set up and get a connection going, but the results are great. Even on bloated sites like the NY Times, scrolling is smooth and responsive. Unfortunately, It's not a good overall solution because it's not very portable like RDP where you can remote in from just about any computer with minimal fuss, so it's really only useful for situations where you're remoting in to the same place all the time.

I'm having fun playing around with LXC containers in Proxmox. I created a command-line Ubuntu container, installed LXDE on it and xrdp and x2go so I can remote into it and browse in Chromium. So far I've used up 1.7GB on the hard drive (it started at around 600MB, blew up by about 200MB just from upgrading from 15.04 to 15.10 and the rest was LXDE and x2go), which seems a little much for what I've got happening, but I guess graphical goodies don't come cheap.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Number19 posted:

I've had to start blacklisting vendors at the mail filter level to make them stop. I also threaten to report them to that Canadian Anti Spam legislation thing and that often pretty effective. I also refuse to answer my phone now unless someone has emailed or texted to say that they're calling and why.

Cold callers can gently caress off.

Outsource your phone to India.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Check the firewall rules on your host and VM. Also, what OS is the appliance VM running?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Hyper-V networking can either be wonderfully seamless or dreadfully gory. Sometimes the best thing to do when it doesn't work is tear down the virtual network and rebuild instead of wasting hours trying to figure it out if you didn't set it up right the first time.

It's possible the Ubuntu VM may not be using the right adapter or adapter settings within Linux either, especially if you changed things up on the HV host side without making the appropriate changes in the VM. You didn't say if you changed the VM NIC setting to the external switch or not in the VM Hyper-V settings when you put in an external vSwitch, but that's one area to check.

I mean it's hard for me to say because I've never used the bare Hyper-V hypervisor, only with Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows 10, so I'm not really on top of what's available to you and what's not.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There may be an actual reason they want it in Hyper-V. PowerShell works nicely with it and if there's a future requirement for nano servers or containers, that's all done through PowerShell as well but who knows. If you can handle ESXi, Hyper-V should be a walk in the park for you.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Time to get my RHEL cert.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Kind of on the crazy train here, but I was thinking: USB passthrough is easy, PCI passthrough can be dodgy. What about passing through USB to a USB docking station with USB ports and video ports built in?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evol262 posted:

For what purpose?

Pass through to a Windows VM off of a Linux KVM host. RDP or Spice is okay, but frame rate when doing stuff like YouTube is painful. There's also the bonus of having USB ports along for the ride too to avoid mouse lag. I only
need one 1080p monitor and a lot of docks can do 4k these days so oomph shouldn't be a problem.

Basically the dock is almost acting like a thin client.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Or they could wait around until the whole quantum computing thing makes encryption irrelevant.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

KillHour posted:

This is only true for encryption relying on factoring semi prime numbers being hard. Elliptic curve encryption is still safe, AFAIK.

Safe for what? If the feds eventually get near limitless computational power on tap, anything will be breakable in short order.

Of course, we're still a long way from that, but possibly within our lifetimes, which will be awesome/sucky.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Why do you think that quantum computing would provide that?

It's a technology they haven't got a handle on yet. Once they do, it should be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I found a place that has Lenovo Thinkstation S30s for decent prices. I'll probably get one for yet another virtualization box. The question is about RAM. The S30 can take 10600E, 10600R or 12800R. I understand there's a bit of a hit by going with registered memory, but is that hit insignificant enough that it would be worth it to spring for 12800R RAM versus saving a smidge of money with 10600E?