Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a build list for a nice cheap home lab? I'm looking to dump esxi 6.0 on something to build a test domain for 2016 servers.

I spare parted together a c2q 8gb system, but Dell doesn't put freaking vt-x in their bios. So I'd probably just want mb/cpu/mem or something and step up everything a notch.

I see cheap Dell 1650 servers on ebay for $200, but that would probably cost $40 a month in electricity alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

adorai posted:

Honestly an AMD athlon 5350 and motherboard can be had in the $80 range, so you just need case power supply and ram. Quad core, 2GHz, easily enough CPU for 16-20 VMs in a lab.

Thanks, ill look into this. Sounds about what I need. Ive lost track of PC specs ages ago.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

adorai posted:

Honestly an AMD athlon 5350 and motherboard can be had in the $80 range, so you just need case power supply and ram. Quad core, 2GHz, easily enough CPU for 16-20 VMs in a lab.

Just wanted to say thank you for this. I picked this up and an Gigabyte AM1 board, 16GB of memory slapped it into my previous case, injected the Realtek drivers into the ESXI 6 install and now I've got a 2016 domain up and going with hardly a dent in CPU and memory usage after 3 VMs up and going.

I feel embarrassed to say this is my first AMD purchase. It's doing the job well.

Edit: On a side note, does anyone know why VMWare blacklists anything Realtek? Is it just because the drivers/hardware is deemed too unreliable to be supported or something? Or is it more nefarious?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 27, 2015

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Do they specifically blacklist, or is it just a case of not including the driver vibs in the base?

With 6.0 they are blacklisting. You get around it by people signing ReAltek drivers as Intel now. Ridiculous.