Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I work in a really small environment but I'm investigating virtualizing our entire setup w/VMWare. (As a side note, I'd love if somebody here wants to PM me for some general advice about the project and if it's even feasible).

In any event, part of the virtualization would include our UTM, which has a virtual appliance image available. There would be three subnets, two of which that would reside solely in the VM server and one that would have to connect to the physical LAN. And WAN uplink of course.

I'm trying to envision how exactly to accomplish this. If I understand correctly, I need to do the following:

- Create 1 "internal" switch that hosts the VM-only subnets, no pNICs attached.
- Create 1 "external" switches, with pNICs going out to WAN/LAN.
- The UTM VM would have one vNIC in the internal switch, and two vNIC in the external switch (one LAN, one WAN).

Am I on the right track here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

talaena posted:

Quite probably a dumb question, but I've finally given up trying to figure out what I've missed. I P2V'd my work laptop using converter and dropped the file onto my home computer. I booted up w/ VMware Workstation just fine into Win7 once. I removed what physical devices I thought I saw and then rebooted. I cannot get back into normal mode but I can get into safe mode. I lock hard while booting into Win7, have to Reset power to get it back.

I'm not an expert by any means, but the conversion process should remove any "physical" hardware at the point the conversion is done - or at least anything detrimental to the operation of the machine. If it booted up fine after the initial you probably didn't need to remove anything from device manager. If you were told something different I'd certainly trust your tech more though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Couple questions. I'm looking to virtualize a DC (only one on the network, so no worries about AD replication or etc), but read a lot of conflicting information/recommendations.

First, while I'm pretty sure it's safe, is there any danger to a source machine in doing a hot migration? Essentially, I want to test the conversion process without stopping services- I don't care if the resulting vm is transactionally consistent for the test, but I do want to make sure the conversion process isn't invasive enough to kill any services or bring the system to its knees.

Second, I see a lot recommendations for doing a cold migration, but apparently VMWare killed off their cold boot discs quite a while ago (somewhere around 4.1?). Is it worth using an old migration technique or will a "warm" migration be fine?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Should have been more specific, it's a SBS2011 server, so I don't believe I can do a standard demote/promote.

Speaking to the "hot" migration, I was talking specifically about doing it just to test out the conversion - the VM wouldn't ever be hooked up to the production environment. My concern was if the "hot" migration might create problems on the production server.

So like I said, other my concern was if a cold clone off of the 4.1 convertor would be problematic given it's fairly out of date.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 26, 2013

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Studebaker Hawk posted:

I have had some nightmare experiences P2V SBS2008. I would do this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg563798.aspx

I've looked at it, but quite honestly I'm not sure their "migration" path looks any safer. Although I'd be interested to hear what problems you had; PM me if you don't want to clutter the thread.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I don't suppose there's any cheap/free solutions for VDI on vmware? I've got literally just a couple of users I'd like to do it with, so I'm not going to get approval for a View license just for them.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Slanderer posted:

I can clone the MAC address of the virtual network adapter in order to have each VM work out of the box for everyone. However, will this cause any problems on the network? I configured the network adapter to use NAT, so I'd imagine it wouldn't matter (since every duplicate MAC will be hidden behind each VM's NAT), but I don't actually know for sure.

I could be very wrong, but I don't think this would work. All your layer 2 communication is done via mac addresses. If you just one device doing NAT in front of all the cloned devices it wouldn't know which machine to send to. If you had an individual devices NAT'ing in front of each machine (ie a 1-to-1 relationship between each NAT device and cloned mac) it might work, but I don't know if that's something vmware does.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 11, 2013

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Corvettefisher posted:

Good thing NAT is layer 3. I assume he is doing workstation and not ESX where he is putting them on a server then using a virtual router or the like to connect.

It would probably work, but I have no idea how your IDE company would like it

Duh, yeah if it's workstation then it's likely fine. Had my head stuck in ESX.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

For a quick and dirty small-scale lab (like 4-5 machines tops), is there any reason Hyper-V on windows 8 Pro wouldn't work? All I really need is VMs and the ability to network those machines, and it looks like Win8Pro HV does that.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mierdaan posted:

No, there's a few limitations on Hyper-V in Windows8 but none of them will probably matter to you. You don't get Live Migration, RemoteFX, SR-IOV, virtual fibre channel, and some other irrelevant poo poo for a desktop lab.

Nope, don't give a gently caress about that. Good deal, this saves me the headache of building a dedicated box.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Corvettefisher posted:

Not bashing hyper-v but any reason to go there over virtualbox?

Not particularly. It's already built into Win 8 and figure I might as well check it out.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Martytoof posted:

I forgot if we were talking about that Stanly.edu cheap-ish VMware certified training community college in here or in the Cert thread, but my name just came up on the waiting list. For $185US I'm going to sign up.

If I wasn't already semi convinced this was a good deal, the disorganization of their signup procedure would totally put me off. Their signup form is a google forms page :|

If it's a qualifying course, for $185 I'd send in my info on a cocktail napkin.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Martytoof posted:

Yeap: "SCC is a Regional VMware IT Academy, and upon completion of the course, students will be eligible to sit for the VCP certification exam."

2 weeks to process my entry so I'll let you guys know.

I think a bunch of you also said you were signing up around the same time as me. Check your spam folder if you did, because gmail routed that poo poo right into the toilet. Or add "Jana Kennedy <jkennedy7709@stanly.edu>" to your safe senders list.

Thanks for the heads up, I got mine last week in the spam folder apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Any good resources to provide for a manager who's wary of virtualizing SQL? We're running HyperV 2012 but he's really skittish SQL VMs.