Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody have any experience running VMs from Unraid? I'm about to pull the trigger on the following:

Ryzen 7 2700/2700x
32 GB RAM
Geforce GTX 1050 Ti (GPU transcoding for Plex)
Vega 56 (Windows VM)

Realistically, how much of a performance hit am I going to take gaming in Windows if I allocate 4 cores while Unraid is concurrently using the 4 other cores to manage Plex/Sab/Radarr/Sonarr/Ombi? It seems like a no-brainer to grab a refurb 1050 Ti for $90 so I can throw transcode workload onto the GPU instead.

The other thing I'm concerned about is dealing with AMD drivers - it seems like the Nvidia vm drivers are a lot better.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Iirc you're going to pass through the GPU to the VM. Which makes it unavailable for transcoding if the VM is on.

The GTX 1050 is going to be allocated to my Plex docker/transcoding exclusively. The Vega 56 will be allocated toward the Win10 vm and be used for games.