Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Internet Explorer posted:

I haven't heard of anyone using a Drobo in production.

Because it's a terrible idea. Few years back, my boss insisted we try a Drobo Pro ("it's VMware certified!"). iSCSI was half-baked and would soil itself if you actually tried to have more than one iSCSI connection, and once you put significant random I/O on the disk, its performance was actually worse than that of a single hard disk. gently caress Drobo.

(Drobo gear is decent enough for home use, and maybe for a small lab, but certainly not for any serious work.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Thanks. Numbers like $5k give my boss panic attacks

In all fairness, if you work for a VERY small shop, $5K could be a big investment. (My last job was at a company with 10 people, under $1M annual revenue, and I was the only sysadmin, so I can relate.)

Yes, VMware upgrades were a bitch with having to manually down guests, move them around, and so on, which meant the VMware hosts only got upgraded about once every eighteen months, but it's at least vaguely possible.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Serfer posted:

Pfft, I thought this test was free. I'm not going to pay $120 for something so easy.

Couple hours ago, I went through the free training for this. And by training, I mean "basically a three-hour VMware ad with no content whatsoever".

Since I have no VMware certs, and don't have the time/resources to get a VCP right now, I might get this to have something that looks good on a resume. Should be dead-simple to pass the exam even with almost no hands-on VMware experience, and the price is right. I'm under no allusions that it's actually worth a drat, though.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I have no idea why, but I just logged into Pearson, and during the checkout process this showed up:

quote:

Discount: -60.00 Encourage people to take VCA exam during 2013
A $60 exam is much more palatable than a $120 one, I bet. I don't know why this showed up, if it's available to everyone, but what the hell.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
At work, someone is building a server that for reasons I can't even guess at, requires a modem. Analog thing you plug a phone line into. Fortunately, an external USB modem should be sufficient.

I know you can build a VM and do USB passthrough, and you can vMotion the guest to different hosts while keeping the physical USB device associated with that guest (as long as you don't suspend or power down the guest). But what if the host with the external USB device dies? Is it possible to have a second host with an identical/similar USB modem connected, and have VMware connect the backup USB device to the guest?

(I don't have much access to our VMware environment aside from managing the guests for which I'm responsible, so I can't really explore this. Our local VMware expert thinks it's impossible, but I don't always trust him.)

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Question for those who have taken the Stanly CC VMware 5.1 course: Is it worthwhile to actually watch the online lectures? From the first couple of them, it looks like the presenter is basically reading the notes from the text. I can read them myself a lot faster.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
This may be close to :filez: but is there an electronic version of the VMware IT Academy textbooks? I bought the books, I just find the paper versions inconvenient (like today when they're at home so I can't read them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Moey posted:

That is impressive. The largest broadcast domain in all the lands!

My first real job was at a small rural wireless ISP. When I started there, the whole customer wireless network was a half-dozen /24s and everything was a bridge. I think our broadcast domain covered most of a thousand square miles.