Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm off on my first virtualization foray in my home / lab environment, and could use some goon advice with regards to data storage and backup.

My setup is this :

• 1 Physical Windows AD server, six 1TB drives, divided up into 1TB RAID 1 OS partition, and two 1TB RAID 1 data partitions - one for file storage, one for user profiles / redirected folders (gasp)
  • Synology NAS, mirrored 4TB drives. One 4TB USB external drive for versioning / backup.

What I want to accomplish is A. virtualize my poo poo. B. utilize my storage such that I have two sync'd file-level copies of all my data at any given moment, and C. have a versioned backup of it all.

My stumbling block is where to set up the file-level type storage, versus where to set up the block level or system-image level backup.

My plan is to install on the bare metal of Server 1 the MS Hyper-V Server 2016, and then virtualize my AD server instance on top of it. But I'm not sure where to store the VHD's - should I create an iSCSI target on my NAS? Or use one of my RAID partitions on server 1 for my VHDs?

Also, because my AD server has (in the past) hosted things like redirected folders / user profiles, I'm not sure the best way to accomplish that going forward. Should I host redirected folders on an iSCSI NAS target mounted via my virtual AD server? Or use the bare metal hyper-v install to create a storage space on Server 1 that I allocate to my hyper-v VHD? And how does that play into how large my VHDs will be - and the best way to have both file-level redundant copies of my data on both my Server and NAS versus if I just had my virtual servers mount a shared SMB drive on the bare-metal Hyper-v server or something. Or maybe just abandon folder redirection altogether, because it is complete crap? Create an iSCSI target on my bare metal hyper-v host server that can be mounted by my virtual servers, rather than setting that up on my NAS?

I think all the versioning can be handled by Synology backing up a hyper-backup image to my external HDD - but also open to suggestions on this...

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU