Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Moey posted:

Hahaha. Running a production VoIP server within Workstation?

Oh god audio in workstation is terrible. I tried to run a radio station (using liquid soap and icecast). icecast running in the VM caused the stream to crash every 15-20 minutes complaining about hardware access. Running liquidsoap in the VM caused occasional delays but the buffer was big enough to handle it and throw warnings. None of these issues happened using the same setup on the host OS. This was a personal project so running icecast on the host ended up being acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DoublePLayer posted:

I tried getting Hyper-V to work, but it kept claiming the hypervisor feature is not running and I couldn't figure out where's the fuckup.

You need to enable virtualization in BIOS most likely.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If you are passing as USB device to an older OS make sure the device supports that OS. Getting an Xbox controller to work with say Windows 98 doesn't sound as easy as an old serial Gravis.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'm looking to implement Hyper-V using local storage (SAN isn't in the budget). Should the host have it's own drives or should I just make a large RAID10 and partition it out? I'm leaning towards 8 Drive RAID10, but thought I'd get a second opinion. Full environment is going to be 2 hosts with Veeam doing backups to a NAS. Restore using the backup is considered acceptable(both potential data loss and downtime). If there is a better way to configure this with the same hardware though I can make the adjustments since nothing is purchased yet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

If you are on that strict of a budget, I would consider using 2 hosts with enough local storage to run all of the servers on one host and backup to a NAS using something like Veeam Free or StorageCraft with a plan to restore to the other server if necessary. I wouldn't go the vSAN route to save money, because it will almost certainly bite you.

Just my opinion, I am sure there will those who disagree.

I'm looking to P2V a small company, and planning on exactly this. Veeam + Synology for backup, I believe you can even run the VM from backup while Veeam is restoring it, reducing downtime to basically human reaction of pressing restore. It very likely wont be running that well, but anything critical with a heavy workload you should instead run a VM on each host and do redundancy as if you didn't have VMs if at all possible.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

NippleFloss posted:

If you're doing the paid VEEAM version you can use replication to provide quicker recovery of VMs between the two hosts with local storage.

Free VEEAM has some substantial limitations around doing backup.

Veeam isn't that much if you don't care about updating it. Just buy a new version when you replace the servers and let support lapse.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Moey posted:

Support is normally less than 20% of licensing cost for Veeam. You run your servers for more than 5 years?

I don't have a quote for a renew, but Veeam's site said a savings of 20%, if it's at 20% cost then that changes my opinion of letting it lapse. Running a 5 year old version when it's that little to maintain doesn't make much sense.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What's this now? I haven't bothered following the MS licensing changes since we just slap Datacenter on everything by default.

With 2016 its by core not socket. Minimum of 8 cores per socket, 2 sockets per host are required to be licensed. If you have a standard install of 2 8 core sockets nothing changes if you have 2 10 cores you have to buy more licenses. If you haves less no savings for you!

This also makes AMD even worse since any savings will now actually cost you more for the OS licenses. I get a feeling this was prompted by Intel to try and push AMD even further out of the market since their gimmick is more cores (which is actually useful for hosting VMs). This assumes AMD can actually make a CPU worth a drat this gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, I can see that. Hopefully the price will be reasonable and the upgrade process from a licensing standpoint will be straightforward.

Hahaha, who am I kidding? This is Microsoft we're talking about.

You can apparently buy 2 core upgrade packs, also if you have a software assurance plan contact them before 2016 comes out, you can get your licenses for 2016 to match your current configuration with 2012R2.